Ala Carte items in MDR

JuneauMe

UDP no longer is being sold. Those that already have it can use it, but you no longer can purchase it. You can purchase SDP, but even that is subject to numerous upcharges.

Seriously???????

Time to change my screename. That really ticks me off..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I would like to see! Just up the price $50pp and forget all these additional charges! The additional fees just tick people off. I would think in the long run it would be more profitable just raising the cruise cost since not all take advantage of all the upcharge items anyway. Raise the price and do away with the room service fee and the upcharges for the MDR items. Also, raise the price of the specialty dining rooms and do away with the a la carte menu. This will bring us back to knowing what our price is before we board without having to be concerned with additional charges.

That is the total opposite of what they want. The whole point is to keep the cruise fare as low as possible. You could say the same thing about the DSC or port charges. Just include those in the advertised fare. But then they couldn't advertise the really low prices. It's not just NCL nor is it just the cruise industry. Airlines do it with baggage fees, wifi, early check in, upgraded seats. Its how the game is played. Having a higher base fare would scare away more people then it would please.

But if they jump up the fee by $50 that's all they get but if they do these add on fees there is no telling what might happen

A pax may eat prime rib or lobster in the mdr every night

Or like me....won't pay the extra

The thing is by adding the mdr charges they could get lots more than $50 per pax

Or

Zero per pax

Of course what isn't being said here is that they absolutely did add $50 plus to the cruise prices that's obvious PLUS they are adding more and more up charge items PLUS they are enticing pax to book very early with fake free promos like ubp which are not free at all....and then still taking away stuff that was included when you booked

If prime rib was on the menu when you booked....it should either be taken completely off the menu ....or still be included for free

By keeping it on the menu but charging for it now is just showing pax the disdain Ncl actually has for their repeat cruisers

Newbies are totally clueless. Of course I've been saying for months Ncl wants to rid themselves of their savvy longtime cruisers and bring on newbies that can be brainwashed.

Oh no, not the "fake free promo" argument again.

I thought I articulated my point well enough to be understood, but, again, it changes the feeling of a care free vacation for me. Once this is a success you will see upcharge items on apps and desserts.

Then that will lead to upcharge items on lunch and breakfast menus.

Then there will be specialty breakfast and lunches open to all with upcharges.

It's a slipperly slope. The more it looks like Disney World, the less inclined I am to book again. It is very clear the direction this is going.

Your choice, your options not to book with NCL again, but remember the other mass marketed lines are doing pretty much the same or similar things. I also think you are over reacting saying things like breakfast menus will have upsell items unless you are talking about something like crab cakes or 8 oz steaks. Even if that were to happen, as has been said by many, no one has is being forced to purchase anything!!! Have fun on your next cruise with XYZ or whomever. Maybe AI is a better answer for some, but the better ones are much more expensive than cruising. Suit yourself.

Oh no, not the "fake free promo" argument again.

It's not an argument at all....it's a fact and only seasoned cruisers realize that....newbies think they are getting a deal....

And that is why Ncl wants to get rid of their loyal clientele....we know the game all too well.

Edited by luvtheships

It's not an argument at all....it's a fact and only seasoned cruisers realize that....newbies think they are getting a deal....

And that is why Ncl wants to get rid of their loyal clientele....we know the game all too well.

Oh ok. Saving $896 on the price of UBP is not a deal. Right. You must have learned some alternate math. And by the way, I am a seasoned cruiser.

Edited by Moby0215

NCL seems to want all the low ball passengers and the high end too. Keep the fares at rock bottom, charge extra for everything, make the Haven all inclusive. Best of both worlds. Then the passengers that want to sail for 100 day are happy and the ones that do not want a surcharge on everything are happy. This is the MSC model.

Oh ok. Saving $896 on the price of UBP is not a deal. Right. You must have learned some alternate math. And by the way, I am a seasoned cruiser.

OK then, look at this:

Example 1 is a cruise for $899.

Example 2 is the same cruise for $999 with a FREE $100 OBC.

Here is the math question: Which statement is true:

a) Example 1 is the better deal.

b) Example 2 is the better deal.

c) It's a trick question...they are actually the same.

That is the total opposite of what they want. The whole point is to keep the cruise fare as low as possible. You could say the same thing about the DSC or port charges. Just include those in the advertised fare. But then they couldn't advertise the really low prices. It's not just NCL nor is it just the cruise industry. Airlines do it with baggage fees, wifi, early check in, upgraded seats. Its how the game is played. Having a higher base fare would scare away more people then it would please.

If you think NCL is trying to keep fares low you haven't been following what Del Rio has been saying. In a recent Bloomberg article (posted and discussed here on CC) he said the reason they are sending all but the newest ships into dry dock by 2017 is to enable them to charge more.

As for the free promotion yes, it has to be recouped somewhere, they cannot just give it away. For grins the other day I priced the Breakaway out of NYC on a Bahamas itinerary in 4/2017 and a mid-ship balcony was $3300. A 7 day eastern Caribbean itinerary out of Baltimore on the CCL Pride in a mid-ship balcony was $1900. So even if I had to buy the beverage package on CCL I would still be ahead of the game. (And that comparison also demonstrates what they want to do with fares;)).

NCL seems to want all the low ball passengers and the high end too. Keep the fares at rock bottom, charge extra for everything, make the Haven all inclusive. Best of both worlds. Then the passengers that want to sail for 100 day are happy and the ones that do not want a surcharge on everything are happy. This is the MSC model.

Thing is every search that I've done I'm not seeing the rock bottom pricing. Maybe if I was looking at dates closer to the sailing but when I book a cruise it is a year to a year and a half out and those are the fares that I am comparing.

I think you are totally correct. Something for everyone.

I think he's not liking that he has to pay $80 autotips per person aka "Fake free promo", lol. And that's the thing most of the complainers are whining about, paying a fee for choices that other people are not paying/eating and thinking it matters to those that are not paying/eating it.

For example, prime rib that's usually a small cut, being free on Tuesday & Thursday - now has a every day charge of $15 and is a larger cut with no bone in it. They can go knock themselves and be angry over that because I don't see NCL (or any cruise line) serving up my favorite cut of pork in my prefer style of cooking anywhere, not even in the specialty restaurant. Is not having my favorite pork cut on a cruise trip (or any trip for that matter) going to ruin my good time? No, because 1)their other food to eat that I can survive on and 2) its not that freaking important especially when you're on ship with 2000-4000 others aka masses, I'll be lucky if they even seasoned the food with Adobo / black pepper/garlic/onion/cumin/cilantro/curry/etc and it actually has taste.

What's important and favorite food choice for one, is not the same for EVERYONE. And if its that important and serious, you either budget for it or go somewhere else that still has it included in the fare.

OK then, look at this:

Example 1 is a cruise for $899.

Example 2 is the same cruise for $999 with a FREE $100 OBC.

Here is the math question: Which statement is true:

a) Example 1 is the better deal.

b) Example 2 is the better deal.

c) It's a trick question...they are actually the same.

They could be considered the same value but I think most would agree that example one is preferred. However that's not what we are talking about here. If I find a cruise with a price point that I am ok with, adding the UBP (even with me having to pay the 18% gratuity) as a promo saves me $896! I understand that you are saying that the original fare could be cheaper if they weren't partially subsidizing the promo but I feel as though I have gotten great value the past 3 cruises I have been on with the UBP. And for my upcoming cruise in February I managed to snag 2 promos (UBP and SDP) so that's just a bonus.

If you think NCL is trying to keep fares low you haven't been following what Del Rio has been saying. In a recent Bloomberg article (posted and discussed here on CC) he said the reason they are sending all but the newest ships into dry dock by 2017 is to enable them to charge more.

As for the free promotion yes, it has to be recouped somewhere, they cannot just give it away. For grins the other day I priced the Breakaway out of NYC on a Bahamas itinerary in 4/2017 and a mid-ship balcony was $3300. A 7 day eastern Caribbean itinerary out of Baltimore on the CCL Pride in a mid-ship balcony was $1900. So even if I had to buy the beverage package on CCL I would still be ahead of the game. (And that comparison also demonstrates what they want to do with fares;)).

Not necessarily trying to keep them low, but not including certain things in the base fare still allows for a lower advertised price. And let's be honest, that's what most people are looking at when they first think about booking.

where are you getting the idea they want to get rid or us? Changes are not always bad, but good or bad it is time to realize we live in a changing world. For those who started cruising in the say, 70s do you think there is one thing that is still the same except the ships are still in the water?

Since Del Rio wants to build NCL into a stepping stone for Oceania I don't really think that he wants everyone;).
If one thinks it is a stepping stone to Oceania, then some will step over and some won't. I think they want to keep those that don't want to step and they will be able to replace those that stepped over with new customers.

BTW, I might be one of the ones he wants to step over, since I cruise in a suite, but that is not something I'm interested in. I've already got one luxury line in my line of of cruise lines I cruise on and am not looking for another. I'll stay with NCL.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Not necessarily trying to keep them low, but not including certain things in the base fare still allows for a lower advertised price. And let's be honest, that's what most people are looking at when they first think about booking.

That's exactly what I look at and it's why I would choose CCL.

If one thinks it is a stepping stone to Oceania, then some will step over and some won't. I think they want to keep those that don't want to step and they will be able to replace those that stepped over with new customers.

BTW, I might be one of the ones he wants to step over, since I cruise in a suite, but that is not something I'm interested in. I've already got one luxury line in my line of of cruise lines I cruise on and am not looking for another. I'll stay with NCL.

Yes, there will be some that are happy with whatever NCL morphs into and will still sail on them.

Thing is every search that I've done I'm not seeing the rock bottom pricing. Maybe if I was looking at dates closer to the sailing but when I book a cruise it is a year to a year and a half out and those are the fares that I am comparing.

Thanks for saying this....I,too, have not seen low prices...as I book at least a year out..

Yes, there will be some that are happy with whatever NCL morphs into and will still sail on them.
Since I have no idea what NCL will morph into in the future, I can only say I will stay as the model stands today, since I've had no issue with the changes so far. If you know what it will morph into in the future, please share, but please facts and not speculation, I'll let you know if I will continue to stay after those changes. Edited by NLH Arizona

They could be considered the same value but I think most would agree that example one is preferred. However that's not what we are talking about here. If I find a cruise with a price point that I am ok with, adding the UBP (even with me having to pay the 18% gratuity) as a promo saves me $896! I understand that you are saying that the original fare could be cheaper if they weren't partially subsidizing the promo but I feel as though I have gotten great value the past 3 cruises I have been on with the UBP. And for my upcoming cruise in February I managed to snag 2 promos (UBP and SDP) so that's just a bonus.

No...they can't be considered the same value...not unless you have poor math skills. (This is why Cruise Rewards were priced at $250 with a $100 OBC instead of pricing them at $150).

It is EXACTLY what is being discussed here...the lure of the fake free promo.

Unfortunately, cruise pricing doesn't work that way. You cannot just raise the price of a perishable item.

Cruise rooms are perishable, in that if they do not sell by a certain date, they have $0 value and still have a fixed cost. This is why the lines spend a large amount of money on systems designed to keep the cabin prices in line with demand. This is why cruise prices constantly change.

For the most part, cruisers are the ones to blame for this system. Chasing price drops, deals, lowest price TAs, maximum offers etc means the lines have to look at other areas to make profits (much the same as the airlines do). It's also why they break out the grats and don't add them to the fare. They don't control the fare as much as people think they do.

why are cruisers to blame? They are playing by the cruise lines rules.

If you want to use the airlines as a comparison why doesn't the cruise line change the rules like the airlines and once you paid that's it unless you pay a $150-$200pp change fee.

There wouldn't be too many chasing rate drops anymore but then you'd have a lot of people waiting for the last minute to book hoping for cheaper fares. Kind of a catch 22 for the cruise line.

I don't think it would be god to change the pricing policy like the airlines unless all cruise lines did it at once.

I know I wouldn't book with a cruise line if they had that policy when all the others still had the old policy.

I still submit it's not the cruisers fault but what's the cruise line to do?

Bill

where are you getting the idea they want to get rid or us? Changes are not always bad, but good or bad it is time to realize we live in a changing world. For those who started cruising in the say, 70s do you think there is one thing that is still the same except the ships are still in the water?

There is quite a bit that is still the same, as well as an expectation that things will remain the same. As a quick example, look at the number of people who STILL have to ask which night is Formal Night.