Epic. Attire ?

hlsess

Will be on Epic 12/19-12/28. Seems casual but need to find out how casual. Nice jeans and tops ok or nicer pants /tops or dresses for ladies? Do men need to have a blazer. Does it depend on restaurant ?

NCL is absolutely the best line for casual attire. Also the easiest for self carry luggage as all one really needs is a gym bag to hold two T shirts, Two pairs of shorts, flip flops and a sun hat. No need for socks, even underwear can be left at home.

It is not called "Freestyle Dining" for nothing. :D

I normally, being a Kiwi, wear shorts and only have to change to longs when I want to (or I am bullied to by my wife) or in just one of the specialty restaurants. If I wear a shirt with a collar it is open necked but I will also wear a collarless easy shirt at times.

Mike

Will be on Epic 12/19-12/28. Seems casual but need to find out how casual. Nice jeans and tops ok or nicer pants /tops or dresses for ladies? Do men need to have a blazer. Does it depend on restaurant ?

The policy is below in RED. Bottom line is that for men, shoes, slacks and a collared shirt are required in the main Manhattan Room dining room and Le Bistro specialty restaurant. While shorts are permitted in all other restaurants, most men will have jeans or similar on. A lot of people do like to get dressed up, that is totally your choice and there are no expectations on a Freestyle cruise. While I normally carry a dress shirt and sports coat, there are cruises where I wear polo shirts or Hawaiian shirts to dinner every night.

BTW: We were on the Epic last week as it came out of dry dock and she looks and feels brand new! Have a great cruise!

The atmosphere in the Taste dining room, the buffet and most of our specialty restaurants is contemporary, so cruise casual attire is perfect. For women, this includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, dress shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, dress shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is only acceptable at the buffet and outdoor grills, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. If you choose the more sophisticated atmosphere of the Manhattan dining room or Le Bistro, we ask that men wear jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toe shoes For women, it’s slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. The exception is on embarkation day when all dining venues are cruise casual.

Edited by BirdTravels

I am on this cruise and have been on the ship and others of NCL.I find that there are people well dressed and not so.It will be Christmas and the specialty restaurants usually have people who are dressed for the occasion.My husband wears a lounge suit but not a Tux I wear long dresses for the dress up dress down evenings Hope this helps I would also take something warm for during the day the last three cruises in the last 6 months the ships have been quite cool

and the weather wont be that warm outside

I am on this cruise and have been on the ship and others of NCL.I find that there are people well dressed and not so.It will be Christmas and the specialty restaurants usually have people who are dressed for the occasion.My husband wears a lounge suit but not a Tux I wear long dresses for the dress up dress down evenings Hope this helps I would also take something warm for during the day the last three cruises in the last 6 months the ships have been quite cool

THANKS this is what I thought- what will the weather be outside?

Are you on 19th Dec Epic cruise - if so why not join our roll call (if you have not yet done so). We have a M&G arranged for 20th Dec at 11 a.m. in the Cavern Club - the organiser, jodieh12 has set up a spreadsheet for people to add their names. We are also having a secret Santa for adults and children - should be fun so do join us

I agree with your comments as to dress attire and I usually follow the same pattern - a long black skirt with a selection of tops fits the bill/long dress for the dress up evenings.

Hope to meet up with you on the cruise.

Suzanne

http://www.holiday-weather.com/country/canary-islands/

just looked up all the different ports- most are close to mid 60's during day when we are there except for Granada... I don't plan to be out on decks late at night when it's cold... will have jackets of course just in case....

Barcelona will be coldest hence thats the one I did the link for - although the canaries can be warmer on average they also have more variability at that time of year as they are smaller land masses, and less predictable. (a lot like weather in the UK and Ireland!) It will be like spring weather for people from the UK in Dec/Jan - so I'm really looking forward to it.

we will be on the same cruise - that's interesting to know that the dress code is quite casual. I was planning to get my tuxedo out of storage but sounds like I would be a bit out of place. Are there formal nights as such? If so do you know when they are? It is nice to dress up for Xmas eve though.

we will be on the same cruise - that's interesting to know that the dress code is quite casual. I was planning to get my tuxedo out of storage but sounds like I would be a bit out of place. Are there formal nights as such? If so do you know when they are? It is nice to dress up for Xmas eve though.

There are usually 1or2 dress up or not nights per cruise. You can obviously choose to dress up any night.

We did this cruise (Christmas) 19th December last year on the Spirit. So in answer to your question -dress attire- really anything goes. During the day we and most of the boat tended to dress very causally, from shorts and t shirts to jeans, linens, blouses and jackets. On the evening it varied so much, some folks got dressed to the nines and looked really elegant, to some people wearing the same that they had on during the day. Christmas Day at sea was fun, lots of people wear the "xmas attire" ie silly jumpers hats etc, which is always good for a laugh, and then for dinner xmas day night, most people made an effort to wear something smart, New Year's Eve cruise saw lots of elegant dresses and tuxes for the gentlemen. However that said there were lots of people still wearing smart casual. We will not be taking the tux this year, due to luggage space, but I will be doing lots of sparkly tops as it is xmas and doning the silly stuff for xmas day :-). It does get quiet warm on the boat when you are inside, so light clothing is fine.

You did ask about the weather, well who knows, last year we were really lucky and got caught one port day with rain, as for day wear I would tend to go for light jeans/trousers and layers for the top as the weather can vary so if it does become warm you can take of or put on if it comes in chill. I would definitely pack a waterproof though. We really enjoyed last years cruise, and are hoping that this year on the bigger boat it will be enjoyable too :-) lots more to do. On the journey back from the canaries, we sat out enjoying the sun, so packing a sun cream is advisable as you can get caught by the sun. Not long now though :-)

We did this cruise (Christmas) 19th December last year on the Spirit. So in answer to your question -dress attire- really anything goes. During the day we and most of the boat tended to dress very causally, from shorts and t shirts to jeans, linens, blouses and jackets. On the evening it varied so much, some folks got dressed to the nines and looked really elegant, to some people wearing the same that they had on during the day. Christmas Day at sea was fun, lots of people wear the "xmas attire" ie silly jumpers hats etc, which is always good for a laugh, and then for dinner xmas day night, most people made an effort to wear something smart, New Year's Eve cruise saw lots of elegant dresses and tuxes for the gentlemen. However that said there were lots of people still wearing smart casual. We will not be taking the tux this year, due to luggage space, but I will be doing lots of sparkly tops as it is xmas and doning the silly stuff for xmas day :-). It does get quiet warm on the boat when you are inside, so light clothing is fine.

You did ask about the weather, well who knows, last year we were really lucky and got caught one port day with rain, as for day wear I would tend to go for light jeans/trousers and layers for the top as the weather can vary so if it does become warm you can take of or put on if it comes in chill. I would definitely pack a waterproof though. We really enjoyed last years cruise, and are hoping that this year on the bigger boat it will be enjoyable too :-) lots more to do. On the journey back from the canaries, we sat out enjoying the sun, so packing a sun cream is advisable as you can get caught by the sun. Not long now though :-)

can you remember what was planned special for Christmas Eve/Day- any special meals? We are booked at Cagney's Xmas Eve and Cirque Christmas night late show... thanks for this info

Hi Hlsess,

well as far as I can remember, there were no special menus, it was standard NCl food and very nice as far as I was concerned, however it did have turkey on the menu for Xmas day night as a meat. Being a brit I was hoping for Xmas put, but sadly they did not have it on, one of our M&G brought along mince pies for after dinner, and I think we will do the same this year, the waiters seemed to like them as we did not eat them all last year LOL.

There were lots of things to get you in the mood for Xmas - the Spirit was beautifully decorated, and I am hoping that the Epic will be similar. During the cruise there were a couple of Xmas themed quizzes on the lead up to the big day. There were Christmas carols in the foyer/atrium on Christmas eve evening and the entertainment team did a Christmas show around 4pm xmas eve in the auditorium more for families but was fun as an adult singing along with a bit of slapstick thrown in :-) Don't know how it will pan out though as the ship leaves port early on Xmas Eve, so I assume the shows will take place once we are at sea.

All in all it is a lovely atmosphere especially Christmas morning with lots of people opening presses in the lounges. Most people seem happy, but there are always some bah humbugs !!

I am sure that you will have a great time at Cagneys and Cirque :-)

QUOTE=hlsess;48171953]can you remember what was planned special for Christmas Eve/Day- any special meals? We are booked at Cagney's Xmas Eve and Cirque Christmas night late show... thanks for this info

• 1 month later...