Great Vacation on The Grandeur

We just returned from our eight-night cruise on the Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas. We had a great time!

Prior to the cruise I was concerned over several poor reviews of the ship. While the ship had some mainentance issues they didn't significantly detract from our very fun vacation.

First, I'll get the negatives out of the way. As many folks have remarked there are places in the ship where there's a sour smell. I noticed it in sections of the hallways ouside the passenger cabins on deck 3 (where my cabin was) and deck 4. I didn't notice these smells in my cabin or in any of the public areas. While I was glad to see the staff applying varnish to the wooden railings on the promenade deck, they worked on the sea-side railings only, not those on the ship-side, which needed it too. The railings in the pool deck (deck 9) also needed varnish. Finally, the right-side projector in the Palladium theater was defective as it put a yellow blotch on the screen. I don't think these are major problems and I wonder why Royal hasn't taken care of them.

Now, for the positives (which were many). Apart from the few issues I mentioned above, the ship is in excellent shape. Our stateroom was small but very comfortable and quiet. The food was excellent and plentiful, both in the Great Gatsby dining room and in the Windjammer buffet. The ship's staff was very attentive and friendly, especially our waiters, Garth and George, and our room steward. Jeff, the cruise director, did a teriffic job and is a very funny guy. The entertainment was very good with many excellent singers and dancers (though we didn't care for the piano bar performer). The main band was first-class with a terrific electric guitarist. One of the performers, the Rosario Strings, featured a very talented violinist and guitarist. We bought one of their CD's. And, as in all Royal ships, they had an awesome aerial show - just thrilling. On Halloween the ship threw a party highlighted by Micheal Jackson's "Thriller", with about 20 of the ship's performers doing the zombie dance - great fun.

We enjoyed the ports and had very good weather - mid 80's with only one brief shower. Port Canaveral, Florida, was our first stop and we went on an interesting tour of the Kennedy Space Center. Our second stop was Nassau - not great but we enjoyed the Pirate Museum and bought some souveniers. Our third stop was CocoCay, where we had a very good lunch provided by the ship while we listened to Caribbean music. I loved it. Our last stop was Key West, Florida. We took a tour of the island, want to Hemingway's home and Truman's Little White House. We had a very tasty lunch including the best key lime pie I ever had.

To sum up, if you're the type of person who focuses on negatives, you'll find some. But if you look at the big picture you'll really enjoy the Grandeur, as we did.

Edited by cruisernewbieman

Going on the same ship and itinerary in January... was wondering if you knew the menu order for dinner in the MDR?

I'm not sure what you mean by "menu order". We ate seven dinners in the MDR and each one was delicious. You have your choice of about four appetizers, a couple of soups and salads, about nine entrees and about five desserts. We also ate two lunches in the MDR - also very good, and one breakfast (very good).

Can you think of anything or did you bring anything from home to do on the ship...... We won't have kids just two middle aged adults ready for some r and r

My wife and I always bring our Kindles. Many people were using tablets and playing cards.

Glad it was a good one for you! :)

It's been a long while since we've cruised on Grandeur.

Seems I read the "hamburger grill" area had been moved.

Where is it located now?

You're probably referring to the Park Cafe, which is in the Solarium on deck 9. We spent most of our ship time in the Solarium and had a few snacks at the Park Cafe - very good food.

We love the GR. The crew is always fun and the meals we've had have been better than on larger ships. Probably because they're not feeding as many people.

Varnishing is an ongoing project. While you saw them doing the outside area of the railing, the next cruise they were probably doing the inside and tops. Just like any other painted areas onboard, it never ends.

We have never smelled a "sour" smell. We have had whiffs of odors which you will find on every ship. But, we do stay on deck 8 and are only in the public areas on 3 and 4.

I'm glad the aerial show is up and running again as it was down for a couple of months earlier this year. We love watching it from the centrum on deck 8 as we are just above the performers platforms so we can watch them harness up and go out.

Hubby and I are from Philly and possibly looking into driving to Baltimore to go on Grandeur next year. How was getting on the ship in Baltimore and then getting off process?

Very easy. It took us about 20 minutes to get on and 10 minutes to get off. There's a parking lot next to the cruise terminal that charges $16 per day.

Glad it was a good one for you! :)

It's been a long while since we've cruised on Grandeur.

Seems I read the "hamburger grill" area had been moved.

Where is it located now?

I was on the Grandeur for the last October Canada/New England cruise. Loved the ship. Unfortunately the hamburger set up is now on the steam tables in the Windjammer. Didn't look too appealing, so I didn't try any. The Park Café was very nice and I did try the infamous beef sandwich. Very yummy!!

I'm not sure what you mean by "menu order". We ate seven dinners in the MDR and each one was delicious. You have your choice of about four appetizers, a couple of soups and salads, about nine entrees and about five desserts. We also ate two lunches in the MDR - also very good, and one breakfast (very good).

each menu is named.. shiitake, saffron, etc. and they rotate the menus on each cruise. I THINK there are seven different menus.

one of the formal night menus, for instance, always has lobster as an entree selection. there is one menu( and I forget which one) that has nothing that ever excites me so that is the night we generally choose to either go a Specialty or make dinner out of the appetizers in the Concierge Lounge.

Can you think of anything or did you bring anything from home to do on the ship...... We won't have kids just two middle aged adults ready for some r and r

while she is lacking in 'bells and whistles' she's still awesome and the activities team do a great job of providing a variety of activities on board. I bring my kindle and wear out the battery a couple of times a day.

Hubby and I are from Philly and possibly looking into driving to Baltimore to go on Grandeur next year. How was getting on the ship in Baltimore and then getting off process?

one of the EASIEST Ports to do both. seriously. when we lived there, we would be off the ship and eating breakfast at our favorite Mom and Pop diner by our house( 20 minutes away) by 8.