Carrying on only a few cans of soda???

FigmentFan

Is it possible to carry on only a few cans of soda instead of an unopened carton of 12 cans? I have ordered a 12 pack of water from Carnival so I doubt that we will drink an entire carton of soda. It would be nice to only have to carry on a few cans instead of an entire carton. Has anyone carried on cans that are not in a carton? Is this even allowed now?

Once I took a carton that only had 10 cans in it...they pulled me out of like and took it out and inspected EVERY can! lol

This is what I am worried about. I think the new beverage policy for carry on drinks states "an unopened carton". I would hate to waste time having my 6 cans of soda inspected.

This is what I am worried about. I think the new beverage policy for carry on drinks states "an unopened carton". I would hate to waste time having my 6 cans of soda inspected.

Doesn't say that

says

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard on embarkation day and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person.

Edited by SeaUs

• 4 weeks later...

Just off our Carnival cruise and we took 2 cases of sodas in an opened cartons. Didn't make any difference since security had to dump each can out and check it to make sure it was soda. Guess it is too easy to insert a few beers into a case and reseal the carton:)

• 10 months later...
Once I took a carton that only had 10 cans in it...they pulled me out of like and took it out and inspected EVERY can! lol

even if you had 12 they would have done this... its not the quantity. it was the checking for alcohol.

they will check each can whether 1, 4 , 6 or 12

Carnival's wording is confusing, which just shows the challenging of writing a clear and succinct statement. "Cartons" in their statement of what's allowed refers to juice boxes, not the cardboard carton that holds a 12 pack. I'm sure someone will argue "no, they mean the 12 pack carton". But the first part of the statement says:

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (...) packaged in cans or cartons

[\quote]

That sets the meaning of "carton" in the later part of the policy. Its the container the beverage is packaged in. I.E., a "juice box".

Carnival's wording is confusing, which just shows the challenging of writing a clear and succinct statement. "Cartons" in their statement of what's allowed refers to juice boxes, not the cardboard carton that holds a 12 pack. I'm sure someone will argue "no, they mean the 12 pack carton". But the first part of the statement says:

quote:

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (...) packaged in cans or cartons

[\quote]

That sets the meaning of "carton" in the later part of the policy. Its the container the beverage is packaged in. I.E., a "juice box".

It's really only confusing to those looking for the loophole to get on board what isn't allowed or those language scholars who cannot resist correcting grammar, punctuation and linguistics.

For the rest of us, it's perfectly clear.