Unlimited specialty tipping

hulamoon

In the past it was suggested that the two complimentary specialty resturant usage tip five dollars pp.

Is this what folks are still doing? Or have the dynamics shifted with the unlimited and how tips are distributed?

Very difficult to know the truth about tipping. We had the Ultimate Dining Pkg. and asked different waiters in Murano would they prefer cash or just added to the check - they all said they preferred it on the check. Whilst in Tuscan Grill the response was very different, they all said they prefer cash.

We always gave $10- $15 every night and always had excellent table location, superb service and offered non-menu choice like Prawn thermidor, Steak Diane and tournedos Rossini.

Before we sailed on X we researched and were told tipping was a personal choice everywhere but the staff in the specialty restaurants were paid a tiny bit more but did not participate in the tip pooling. Their pay was only for those who paid for their meals there.

We took this information to mean this is why CC members suggested $5.00 per person per meal for any free meal in a specialty restaurant. We have done this or better for every meal given as a suite amenity and of course because we love the service when we purchased.

So my true question is, is this still true? Do servers get shorted on the free meals for suites? Maybe it was always an urban legend.

Before we sailed on X we researched and were told tipping was a personal choice everywhere but the staff in the specialty restaurants were paid a tiny bit more but did not participate in the tip pooling. Their pay was only for those who paid for their meals there.

We took this information to mean this is why CC members suggested $5.00 per person per meal for any free meal in a specialty restaurant. We have done this or better for every meal given as a suite amenity and of course because we love the service when we purchased.

So my true question is, is this still true? Do servers get shorted on the free meals for suites? Maybe it was always an urban legend.

I think it was urban legend. The Specialty dining staff work in other area on the ship during the day so would be getting tips from there. I doubt that IF they get a higher standard pay rate it wouldn't be meaningful in any way.

Also it'd be tough to say that a Specialty waiter in Murano should get the same rate of pay as one working Bistro on 5 or GastroBar which also has no direct tipping involved on the upcharge.

I believe that they would run the tipping pool as many restaurants do.

All tips pool from all venues.

Each staff member is assigned a percentage of the pool, so that Specialty staff may get 25% of the pool, MDR Fixed, 20%, MDR Select 15%, Buffet 10% (using numbers as example, to show sliding scale, not necessarily accurate figures)

Assistant waiters 10%, kitchen staff 5 etc.

http://www.cruiselinesjobs.com/wages/

If I am booked in a regular cabin (non-suite) and we have the usual tips posted to our account - and we buy the specialty dining ultimate package - do we tip on top of that each night? Since we are not eating in the MDR, is there a way to get those tips to the specialty restaurants? Or are we just to tip in the specialty restaurants each evening anyway? Just wondered what is expected or appropriate. Thanks.

If I am booked in a regular cabin (non-suite) and we have the usual tips posted to our account - and we buy the specialty dining ultimate package - do we tip on top of that each night? Since we are not eating in the MDR, is there a way to get those tips to the specialty restaurants? Or are we just to tip in the specialty restaurants each evening anyway? Just wondered what is expected or appropriate. Thanks.

Tipping in specialties is not required. It is optional. Celebrity sells the cruise by saying all tips are included in all food outlets and cabin staff, but tipping is added to beverage purchases. It is not added to Specialty restaurant purchases except on beverage prices, therefore I am of the mind that specialties are covered by the auto gratuities, and anything above is fully discretionary.

Gratuities do not "roll" fully to you assigned MDR waiter (what if you do select at different table and waiter each night), they have to be pooled, otherwise how do they account for nights one orders room service for dinner, or eats buffet, or eats off the ship. I know many people make big issue abut telling staff where they will be each night and trying to move tips around, but from an operational standpoint, I don't think they really give any of that any concern, instead using the 'pooling' of tips to overcome these cumbersome issues.

• 3 weeks later...
Tipping in specialties is not required. It is optional. Celebrity sells the cruise by saying all tips are included in all food outlets and cabin staff, but tipping is added to beverage purchases. It is not added to Specialty restaurant purchases except on beverage prices, therefore I am of the mind that specialties are covered by the auto gratuities, and anything above is fully discretionary.

Gratuities do not "roll" fully to you assigned MDR waiter (what if you do select at different table and waiter each night), they have to be pooled, otherwise how do they account for nights one orders room service for dinner, or eats buffet, or eats off the ship. I know many people make big issue abut telling staff where they will be each night and trying to move tips around, but from an operational standpoint, I don't think they really give any of that any concern, instead using the 'pooling' of tips to overcome these cumbersome issues.

Our waiter in Murano last week told me that the tip was not included but it was up to me if I wanted to tip or not. Nice :rolleyes:

Our waiter in Murano last week told me that the tip was not included but it was up to me if I wanted to tip or not. Nice :rolleyes:

I have no doubt this server was just fishing for extra tips and still believe they are sharing in the overall tip pool.

When I dine under a free dining package, they don't even bring a receipt to sign unless I order drinks or something, so they leave no way to tip. Celebrity is a

"cashless" ship. On Summit last month I even asked for a bill and the maitre d said "you have no bill sir, as it is included with your suite and your drinks were under your package" and wished us well.

I have no doubt this server was just fishing for extra tips and still believe they are sharing in the overall tip pool.

When I dine under a free dining package, they don't even bring a receipt to sign unless I order drinks or something, so they leave no way to tip. Celebrity is a

"cashless" ship. On Summit last month I even asked for a bill and the maitre d said "you have no bill sir, as it is included with your suite and your drinks were under your package" and wished us well.

I agree, He did not bring it up. I asked so I tipped him anyway. As far as cashless he did not have an issue with the cash I left for him :D

It was nice time, the lobster was good and we had a lot of laughs. My wife asked me what the amuse-bouche was and I told her it was baby food and then produced the tiny spoon they provide as proof. :D

Edited by Gone Fishing