Exploring Jamaica to Ecuador.

drron29

DSC09283.JPG.DSC02889.JPG.

At last we reach Miraflores lock.The light has well and truly gone though-

DSC07370.JPG.DSC07372.JPG.

A sight to gladden the heart.The group at the observation centre are the Captain's choice group.Nice to see them watching us.

DSC07376.JPG.DSC07377.JPG.

DSC07379.JPG.DSC07380.JPG.

DSC07373.JPG.DSC07374.JPG.

We leave the last lock and look towards Panama city-

DSC07378.JPG.

Tonight was the captain's welcome cocktail party.however he was still very busy so the Staff captain deputised.We dined with the Finance officer-nearly $30000 for the Explorer to transit the Panama canal.But it was worth it.It truly is one of the modern wonders of the world.We had informative lectures and one of the Expedition staff gave a running commentary.I would recommend the Explorer if you are considering the Panama Canal transit.

To end another food picture.Unfortunately the sea air on our first leg had caused an increase in weight.Still haven't worked out how that happens.but I have cut down on dining.so for dinner my main was a basket of mixed mushrooms with hollandaise.lovely.

DSC02730.JPG.

Awoke on Tuesday to rain.Today we are visiting the Darien Jungle.This is what Expedition cruising is for-only about a 1000 tourists a year visit here.The Rain forest really lived up to it's name.Grateful for jpalbny's report on this area so we had our cameras in the waterproof bags.So my underwater camera got a lot of use.

Had a light breakfast in our room and an early lunch because it was an early afternoon zodiac ride up the Mogue River to an Embera village.Though this village was only set up in 1960.It is a very long zodiac ride and it must start on the rising tide.Even so we only just made it to the village getting stuck a couple of times.That was with the staff captain as our zodiac driver.So the pics-

DSC02890.JPG.DSC02892.JPG.

DSC02893.JPG.DSC02894.JPG.

DSC02896.JPG.DSC02897.JPG.

DSC07414.JPG.DSC07415.JPG.

DSC07417.JPG.DSC07418.JPG.

DSC07411.JPG.DSC07412.JPG.

After the dancing finished the women asked us to join in.Naturally the first passenger picked was your humble scribe.As Rojaan says I am irrestible to women........as long as they are under 8 or over 80.

A lot of the older women came over to run their eye over me.Again they were intrigued by the grey beard.All were amused when I told them my name was Ron.After all they do speak Spanish.

There were some craft stores.The quality appeared reasonable.Rojaan bought some items taking a photo of the creator-

DSC09331.JPG.DSC09337.JPG.

I made a couple of new friends.They were intrigued by my grey beard.Angelina and Linda they said their names were-

DSC09335.JPG.DSC09336.JPG.

DSC07408.JPG.

The rain then got very heavy and continued for most of the trip back-

DSC07409.JPG

Fortunately it was high tide when we went back to the ship so no getting stuck on sandbanks.However it continued to rain heavily for most of the trip back-

DSC02912.JPG.DSC02913.JPG.

DSC02916.JPG.DSC02918.JPG.

DSC07382.JPG.DSC02924.JPG.

A rainbow as we got back to the ship.We were soaked so it was a hot bath on our return.We were booked for Hot Rocks but it was cancelled.A good opportunity to have dinner in our suite.Wonderful service from our butler Sumit.He is a treasure.

A very enjoyable day but now quite tired.A deep sleep before our visit to Colombia the next day.