beachbum53

Bad knees?

When I was a younger man, I could go up and down stairs with ease. Now that arthritis has set in, it kills my knees to go up and down stairs. Is there anyone here that has that same problem? If so, what OTC cream do you use to help relieve the pain? What have you had the best results with? On the ship, if I'm just going up or down a deck or two, I'd rather take the stairs than to wait on an elevator. I just can't go as fast as I used to. I refuse to let arthritis get the better of me.

Hubby uses Australian Dream, which he purchases on Amazon. Lots of my friends have done knee replacement and done great afterwards. I just wait for the elevators and move a little slower. ;)

Cheryl

Ben Gay is great but I like it's equivalent which I facetiously call, Wally Grease. You can guess where to get it and it is much cheaper. It does get warm and it has the added benefit of making you smell like an old Geezer. But when you're hurting, who cares? I'm married but I have heard that it is 10x more potent than Chanel#5 with seniors of the opposite sex. ;)

This stuff is also great for repelling mosquitos and other bugs. Once stung though, an application will reduce the swelling and eliminate the itch in a few minutes. It is by nature an antinflammatory.

I have applied it after contact with sand fleas and having an instant and violent allergic reaction. I covered myself in Wally Grease and in ten minutes no more reaction.

He likes Australian Dream. My mom didn't, though. She returned it for a full refund.

Thanks for the reply. I'd guess that Australian Dream, like any other OTC medication, works well for some people, but not everyone. I'll give it a try and hope it works. I like the fact that there's no odor, unlike BENGAY. I also like that it comes with a money back guarantee.

My doctor told me to start using Tumeric. I take 2 tablets daily and have found it really helps! Anti inflammatories were bothering my stomach. If you research Tumeric, you will see lots of positive feedback. I am hoping it will make me able to enjoy my Brittish Isles cruise this July!! Facing knee replacement in the future.

Ive found turmeric good I put it in my juicer. also find pineapple and ginger very good juiced as well. The best is a spray magnesium oil.

My husband and I swear by Glucasamine and Chondroitin. I started taking it 20 yrs ago while deciding when and where to have surgery on my knee and within 2 months I was cancelling all surgery plans!

When I was a younger man, I could go up and down stairs with ease. Now that arthritis has set in, it kills my knees to go up and down stairs. Is there anyone here that has that same problem? If so, what OTC cream do you use to help relieve the pain? What have you had the best results with? On the ship, if I'm just going up or down a deck or two, I'd rather take the stairs than to wait on an elevator. I just can't go as fast as I used to. I refuse to let arthritis get the better of me.

I've since had a complete knee replacement but before that, the best aid I had was the elastic type knee braces. They work better than one would think.

Edited by bmwsav44

Go on-line and see if you can find some "Dr. Sloan's Liniment for Man or Beast". It comes in a bottle that has a picture of Dr. Sloan who looks like one of the Smith Brothers cough drop guys. On the front of the bottle it used to give you the amounts to use for your various ailments and on the back you can add a few tablespoons to five-gallons of water to ease the pain of your horse's fetlocks or something along those line!

I also have had good experience with the elastic braces (I have a bad ankle, not knees). I have always found that other passengers are very nice if I'm taking stairs slowly. The ramps can also be tough on bad joints. The elastic braces seem to help reduce the need for linaments or painkillers. (You can also ask your Dr for something to take with you, if you need help with the inflammation if your knee starts to get sore from work-outs onboard.)

I just returned from a bus tour to Ireland, which had a LOT more walking than I expected. (I'll probably stick with cruising from now on.) A few of us ended up comparing notes on remedies for our joints LOL. There were 2 people who had knee problems. One gentleman said his first knee replacement was agony in Week #1, better in Week #2 and that he felt like new man in Week #3 of recovery. He was planning on getting his second knee replaced when he got back, and felt that he could handle the agony of Week #1 better knowing what a great result was coming. He was told that the knee replacement should last 20 years. The other individual had done his 2nd knee replacement as soon as he was healed from the first one. They both seemed very happy with that solution. Too bad they haven't come up with an ankle replacement yet!

Edited by Truluv

I have had 1 knee replaced, and find that walking down kind of sideways, one for then the next foot on the same step eases the pain. It is slower but works.

When my knees starting paining me, I went to the Orthopedic dr. and would get cortisone shots in them before a cruise. They really worked, until the arthritis got so bad. Then I needed knee replacements. Good luck in whatever you do.

I've had both knees scoped. Basically "cleaned out". My ortho dosent want to do full replacements yet because he says I need to wait a few yrs if I can to get the full benefits. The scopes have done a lot of good however it's amazing. I do still get cortisone shots before I cruise and I wrap my knee in the elastic bandage at night. My Otho also gave me Mobic which is just an anti inflammatory on as needed basis. It is easier going up steps then down and I like taking the steps also. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

I have a severed ACL and arthritis. Wear the braces with the metal stays in from WalMart.. Work as well as my old custom ones. Still ski.

You can get a NSAID cream on prescription. In the UK, you can also buy it iver the counter. Turmeric has been shown not to be effective as a supplement, but shown effective when consumed in food (must be how it is absorbed).

After getting some surgery some years back to clear out some spurs, my doc told be "You'll be back soon because you're close to bone-on-bone.". I did go back and I got three shots of Synvisc, a lubricant, which worked great. Several years later, I got a single shot of Synvisc which worked almost as well.

Lastly, I went to one of those knee pain clinics (Osteo Relief) and got 5 shots (a week apart) of another brand of lubricant which worked a little bit. I'm due to go back for another 5 shots in about 3 months.

I gave up on glucosamine/chondroiten pills after I read on WebMD & the Mayo Clinic websites that SAM-e (S-adenosylmethionine) works pretty much as well as Aleve (Naproxen Sodium). I've been taking 4x 400mg tablets a day for about a month and a half and I'm getting around pretty well with tolerable pain. I also take 1,000mcg of B12 which is suggested to be added to the SAM-e by WebMD & Mayo.

But I'm considering future partial replacement (MAKO robotic system surgery at St. David's Center for Joint Replacement) in the next few years.

Edited by Oak Hill Cruisers
spelling

I have had both replacement surgery on both knees. One about 10 years ago after all kinds of pills, shots, braces and creams, all of which did not relieve the pain, until I had the surgery. The other knee I had replacement surgery on three years ago and have never looked back. I play tennis (both singles and doubles) 4 times a week with absolutely no knee pain what so ever. I don't know why I waited so long to have my first replacement done. Go for the surgery and live again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When my knees starting paining me, I went to the Orthopedic dr. and would get cortisone shots in them before a cruise. They really worked, until the arthritis got so bad. Then I needed knee replacements. Good luck in whatever you do.

Cortisone shots spike your blood sugar real crazy. I had 2 within 3 months of my scheduled A1C test. It went from 5.4 just above being diabetic to 9 cause for alarm.

Sent from my SM-T817T using Forums mobile app

I had both my knees replaced.. no problem going up or down.. it's been great.

We travel two to three times a years, on cruises and tours. I can keep up with everyone.

I had a partial knee replacement after all the above too. It was done robotically and I have 100% happy!! Now I can do 50 flights of stairs in a day and walk up to 7 miles in a day. No more pain and swelling. I recovered quickly too. If you qualify for a partial with the new technology I highly recommend it. I too have arthritis. I take turmeric too and my other knee and joints respond to this. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the creams, lotions, injections etc, aren't going to do a thing if you're bone on bone. I had my left knee replaced in October '16, and it was like a miracle. I have (most) of my life back. My right knee will be replaced in November '17.

My only regret is that I wish I had done it years ago instead of wasting time and money chasing symptoms.

All the creams, lotions, injections etc, aren't going to do a thing if you're bone on bone. I had my left knee replaced in October '16, and it was like a miracle. I have (most) of my life back. My right knee will be replaced in November '17.

My only regret is that I wish I had done it years ago instead of wasting time and money chasing symptoms.

Just curious. How long was your rehab? Haven't decided on it yet.

They said on my rehab it would be 90 days before full activity (I play tennis) but on the second replacement I was playing again in about a month. They make you walk (assisted) almost immediately after the surgery and physical therapy within a day or two. Physical therapy was 3 times a week for 10-12 weeks.

This type of recovery is not typical, my Dr. told me, everyone is different. But the advances they have had between my first knee replacement and my second were like night and day. In Memphis, they are doing full knee replacement surgery on an out patient basis.

Find a good Orthopedic Surgeon you trust and do everything they say.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really depends on several factors, your overall physical condition, skill of the surgeon, skill of your physical therapist, and how determined you are to succeed.

I have always been active, so for me not being able to do the things I wanted to do was driving me nuts. I took up swimming for exercise because I couldn't walk more than a block without being in pain and swimming was the best way to stay fit in a low-impact manner. Turns out it had the added benefit of strengthening my legs and that really helped my recovery. At three weeks post op I was walking without a cane and at eight weeks my surgeon and p/t discharged me, saying there was no reason to come back to see them unless I had a problem.

Now, six months later, I am pretty much back to doing whatever I want, limited somewhat by my right knee, which will be replaced this coming November '17.

Pick your surgeon and physical therapist carefully, and exercise your legs prior to surgery and I think you will find your recovery will be quick. Best of luck!

Bio Freeze is the best. You can get it at drugstore.com, Bed Bath and Beyond and Target.

Bio Freeze has worked well for me. I'm a retired Occupational health nurse and it worked good for work related aches and pains that I treated for workers in the carpet plants

It really depends on several factors, your overall physical condition, skill of the surgeon, skill of your physical therapist, and how determined you are to succeed.

I have always been active, so for me not being able to do the things I wanted to do was driving me nuts. I took up swimming for exercise because I couldn't walk more than a block without being in pain and swimming was the best way to stay fit in a low-impact manner. Turns out it had the added benefit of strengthening my legs and that really helped my recovery. At three weeks post op I was walking without a cane and at eight weeks my surgeon and p/t discharged me, saying there was no reason to come back to see them unless I had a problem.

Now, six months later, I am pretty much back to doing whatever I want, limited somewhat by my right knee, which will be replaced this coming November '17.

Pick your surgeon and physical therapist carefully, and exercise your legs prior to surgery and I think you will find your recovery will be quick. Best of luck!

Thank you for the response, and sharing your experience as well. I now have a fair idea on the factors to a full recovery.

I've got osteoarthritis in both knees. Because of a history of ulcers I can't take the majority of arthritis meds that are currently available. I'm pretty much limited to Tylenol. I'm finding that a routine of steady physical therapy designed to strengthen the surrounding muscles helps me more than anything else. Therapy sessions are almost always followed by ice and elevation.

For my cruise last week, I chose to go have cortisone shots the week before I left in both knees. I'm so glad that I did that. I had a fantastic week and by 1 o'clock every afternoon I had met my step goal for the day. I even managed the stairs when going up or down 1 flight. More than that and I chose the elevator.

Everything was great until I got out of the Van Sunday night when I got home. My left knee has decided to really hurt and swell up. At least it waited til I got home.

- Iris

I've got osteoarthritis in both knees. Because of a history of ulcers I can't take the majority of arthritis meds that are currently available. I'm pretty much limited to Tylenol. I'm finding that a routine of steady physical therapy designed to strengthen the surrounding muscles helps me more than anything else. Therapy sessions are almost always followed by ice and elevation.

For my cruise last week, I chose to go have cortisone shots the week before I left in both knees. I'm so glad that I did that. I had a fantastic week and by 1 o'clock every afternoon I had met my step goal for the day. I even managed the stairs when going up or down 1 flight. More than that and I chose the elevator.

Everything was great until I got out of the Van Sunday night when I got home. My left knee has decided to really hurt and swell up. At least it waited til I got home.

- Iris

Try Aloe Vera juice for your stomach. I too have osteo and just had a partial knee replacement. I couldn't be happier and pain free. No swelling anymore. I do take Celebrex when I really ache and it has never bothered my stomach. They say that is why so many folks like it because it is easy on the tummy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would kneel, and feel like a hammer was beating on my knees. By chance, I started taking Move Free Triple Strength once a day, and that particular pain was history in a month.

Understand, this stuff doesn't work for everyone, but it did for me. :)

(Now, my knuckles are a different story!;p)

Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat. I've had one knee replaced, but in spite of pain the Dr. says not to do the other. I think he feels I'm too old (77) to get all the benefit.

I'm tired of tours that act as if we are all Olympic walking stars. So this trip (especially for stops in Luxor and Petra), I'm organizing special "turtle tours." These will be private with no more than six people with the same problems. The tour operator will understand our guidelines, and we should have a comfortable trip for about the cost of the cattle-call ship tours.

Good luck with your knees!

My knees are bad....by Labour Day weekend I was taking Tylenol with the Codine and Advil.......physio couldn't help me anymore....by the time I got I to the Wally store from the parking lot I had to drive one of the scooters.....,

I went to a different drug store and looked around for a brace (the metal bars down the side physio gave me dug in...) I discovered this type of tape called KT tape Pro....comes in pre-cut strips. Not sure the price down your way, but it's $25.00/roll here). I came home and watched the instructions on their web site, and since Sep 3rd, I have not had to take anything for pain for my knees and can get upstairs OK (down still huts a bit but nothing like it did).

I find the tape lasts about 6 days, so I paid about $5.00/week. You can swim, shower, hot tub....it doesn't feel hot or restrictive. I bought 2 rolls to bring on my 10 day cruise as I'll be swimming, hot tubbing, sand, etc and may need to replace more often, but it's been a wonderful solution for me that is drug free. Comes in beige, black, some other colours....I stuck with beige.

Also has videos on line for shoulders, arms, hips, back, ankles...

Edited by Shih-tzu
Spell check is killing me!

Looks like a lot of us are in the same boat......., I'm organizing special "turtle tours." These will be private with no more than six people with the same problems. The tour operator will understand our guidelines, and we should have a comfortable trip for about the cost of the cattle-call ship tours.

Good luck with your knees!

TURTLE tours!!!!! Love it!!!!!!:D

- Iris

I can't take NSAIDS either. My doctor sent me to physical therapy & keeping on the exercises helps a lot. Also applying cold helps so I travel with an ice bag - 20 minutes on each knee if the day was hard on them.

My issue with NSAIDS isn't stomach - I can take aspirin occasionally so use that if icing isn't enough.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I'll add a vote for the Bio-Freeze. If you live in a state where cannabis is legal and you are OK with topical use, we've had the best luck with infused creams/gels. We had one we love called CEREs, but they aren't making the same formula. And I don't think it's legal a lot of places so travelling with it might be dicey. The other is a brand called Flow.