Seeking Advice on Dining, Serenity, and Tips

tyusik

Hello,

Will be going out on Carnival again soon, since my DW booked us on a cruise for our anniversary.

Last Carnival cruise should have been much more enjoyable, especially the MDR.

I tend to drink a lot of water and the glasses were not kept full, as a matter of fact waited at least 30 minutes for one refill. When I requested that they leave the pitcher they refused. MaiterD agreed with server that they are too upscale to leave water or an extra glass of water on the table. Therefore starting the 2nd night we brought our own bottles of water to the table for the rest of the cruise. At end of cruise, I removed the auto gratuities. Instead of giving gratuities to the dining staff, I gave theirs as extra to the cabin steward who performed excellent service.

Next biggest complaint was the serenity area, at 7:00 in the morning every chair, chaise, and hammock had a towel or bag on it, but only about 5 people total in the whole area. Although Carnival has a policy of removing items if the space is unoccupied for more than 30 minutes, their staff refuses to do this.

On gratuities, I have read and heard differing opinions on whether to do auto gratuities, tell the staff you will give it to them, remove auto at beginning, remove auto at end, and do tipping embarkation day and every two days after.

Has anybody ever heard of this or done it themselves. On embarkation day, take the tip, say a $50/$100 bill, have the head waiter or cabin steward sign it and an envelope, then rip the bill in half, giving the staff half of it and putting the other half in the envelope. Then inform the staff that the get the envelope at the end of the cruise if service is acceptable.

Thanks in advance for constructive replies to this thread.

on gratuities, i have read and heard differing opinions on whether to do auto gratuities, tell the staff you will give it to them, remove auto at beginning, remove auto at end, and do tipping embarkation day and every two days after.

Has anybody ever heard of this or done it themselves. On embarkation day, take the tip, say a $50/$100 bill, have the head waiter or cabin steward sign it and an envelope, then rip the bill in half, giving the staff half of it and putting the other half in the envelope. Then inform the staff that the get the envelope at the end of the cruise if service is acceptable.

shots fired!!! Duck and cover!

Hello,

Will be going out on Carnival again soon, since my DW booked us on a cruise for our anniversary.

Last Carnival cruise should have been much more enjoyable, especially the MDR.

I tend to drink a lot of water and the glasses were not kept full, as a matter of fact waited at least 30 minutes for one refill. When I requested that they leave the pitcher they refused. MaiterD agreed with server that they are too upscale to leave water or an extra glass of water on the table. Therefore starting the 2nd night we brought our own bottles of water to the table for the rest of the cruise. At end of cruise, I removed the auto gratuities. Instead of giving gratuities to the dining staff, I gave theirs as extra to the cabin steward who performed excellent service.

Next biggest complaint was the serenity area, at 7:00 in the morning every chair, chaise, and hammock had a towel or bag on it, but only about 5 people total in the whole area. Although Carnival has a policy of removing items if the space is unoccupied for more than 30 minutes, their staff refuses to do this.

On gratuities, I have read and heard differing opinions on whether to do auto gratuities, tell the staff you will give it to them, remove auto at beginning, remove auto at end, and do tipping embarkation day and every two days after.

The most constructive thing I can say at this point is that you should take charge of your own vacation. Instead of asking for something "special" (pitcher of water, etc), ask for what you should be getting (prompt refills). I'm sure that you stood on the Serenity deck for 30 minutes to determine exactly which chairs are being reserved by chair hogs. And the gratuities ... duck and cover -- I'll be the first to blast you with this. You would make all of the staff suffer just because you didn't get a water refill on the first night. Give me a break.

Hi,

The water situation will not be an issue on the ships with American Table as they now leave a big container of water on your table that you can pour as you wish.

I have not seen Serenity busy at 7AM but I suppose every cruise is a bit different in that regard.

Your tip idea of tearing a bill in half is just plain rude!(IMO) We have always had great service and it just seems to take politeness to get it.

We leave the auto tips on and then if we like the wait staff and/or our cabin steward we give extra!

Dangling half of a bill to the staff as a reward for good service is disrespectful and assumes the worst about people!

Just re-read the OP more slowly and saw the suggestion for tearing the bill in half and holding one half hostage until the end of the cruise.

I.... I just... I can't even

Edited by RiotAct

IMHO, that is not a tip but rather a bribe.

As to removing auto tips, so everyone (so many folks are included in the auto tips) were denied the tip because basically you couldn't get your way? While I am not saying you have to agree with the policy of no water picture left on the table and you should not have been made to wait so long. I don't know that was the most effective way to go about changing the policy. If you felt strongly enough you could have allocated the amounts differently or just removed the portions that went to the wait staff. Again, I don't agree with doing that but it is your prerogative.

Post number 1...'nuff said.

Somehow I don't think there will be a post #2 from the OP. :D

That being said, the poster should have simply stated to the waiter and Matre'd that her glass was not being refilled quickly enough. Of course, how someone says this can make a huge difference as well.

Since the ship sailed on was not mentioned, I can only speculate. I do know on the Sunshine, they are prompt about removing towels left by chair hogs. Then again, I have no problem moving them either and if someone shows up in 30 minutes I will apologize profusely and give them their chair back. Luckily for me, that hasn't happened yet.

Tearing up perfectly good money??? Good grief Charlie Brown! Constructively speaking, that's about the dumbest idea I've ever heard. :eek:

Edited by Who Cares?

Let's get this straight..

Holding their tip hostage while you decide whether or not they are worthy of it, after being at your beck and call for the duration of a cruise, is your "fix" for your own self righteousness?

Maybe on your next cruise someone should take your boarding pass, rip it in half and then decide the morning OF whether or not your douchbaggery is worth going on the vacation or not?

There are bigger fish to fry in this world then whether or not we have a sufficient amount of water on the table.

If that is the biggest issue you have in your life, then consider yourself lucky.

Hello,

You're not serious about this, right? Did you read about this strategy on EpicDouche.com? How incredibly insulting and belittling this idea is. The people on these ships work tirelessly to make sure that guests are having a good vacation and they don't make a whole lot of money in the process, yet you would take perfectly good money, make them sign it and then rip it up in front of them. You are a terrible person.

That is honestly one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on this page.

I've never had a problem getting more water, I drink a lot too. I have never gone 30 minutes without seeing a server- so I just ask who I see. Simple enough.

as for the whole tip thing- they are human beings and this is their profession. Some work harder than others but this is their job and I have never come back to a dirty room, or anything like that. To rip it in half is a serious joke.

If you can't afford to cruise don't.

Only post... GOT to be a troll.

A. Ask for the water refills until you get them. Maybe try explaining to your wait staff on the first night that you have to have water, and lots of it. With a smile, and maybe a charming apology for asking for something you know they were probably going to take care of anyway.

B. Chair hogs suck all over. I don't play the game. I prefer to sit in Serenity, but if I can't find a chair there, there is always a chair somewhere for me.

C. If someone ripped up my tip in half and told me I'd only get it if I took care of their every whim for the next seven days, I'd give it back to them. That has got to be the most insulting method of tipping I've ever heard of.

The non American Table ships can't leave pitchers at the table as they don't have the carafes, only the serving pitchers (and they need those - to, you know, SERVE) BUT I've never had trouble getting a waiter to bring me 2 glasses of water and I often ask for water and tea or 2 glasses of water since I tend to gulp down a glass at once sometimes.

I've never gone 30 minutes without a refill but I drink weird where I won't drink much and then it's insta-gone, and no waiters can refill that efficiently with the number of guests Carnival waiters have and especially with the stupid dancing (honestly, I only ask for 2 glasses if I ask the ATD waiter if the dancing might happen during our dinner and interrupt service and the waiter says yes; then I make the double-glasses request, and they bring it to me - I ask politely though and never for a pitcher!).

So, just pointing out, it may have been possible to get an extra glass IF you hadn't requested a pitcher and (likely, based on this post) come across as rude, demanding, etc. They are usually more than happy to help, I find, if I treat the waitstaff very politely and treat special requests as impositions I'm apologizing to ask them for, rather than demands I expect them to meet!

What if you get terrible service and decide to not give them the "other half" of the bill? You still can't use it and are out the same amount as you would have been had you given it to your servers.

Agree. This is the silliest part of this. I mean, it's a rude, ridiculous idea, but it's also silly because it's essentially a lose-lose for the customer and the staff.

You sound like you had a blast on your last cruise and your wife knows you so well she booked the same line again. Ripping the tip in half you will be out the money either way so just go ahead and give to staff.

Have fun! I can tell your ready for another great trip!

Edited by js

Only post... GOT to be a troll.

A. Ask for the water refills until you get them. Maybe try explaining to your wait staff on the first night that you have to have water, and lots of it. With a smile, and maybe a charming apology for asking for something you know they were probably going to take care of anyway.

B. Chair hogs suck all over. I don't play the game. I prefer to sit in Serenity, but if I can't find a chair there, there is always a chair somewhere for me.

C. If someone ripped up my tip in half and told me I'd only get it if I took care of their every whim for the next seven days, I'd give it back to them. That has got to be the most insulting method of tipping I've ever heard of.

I totally agree with this post. I used to get bummed out over chair hogs. Now I just move on life is too short.

I too believe that this was a post just aimed at getting people upset. But it didn't work with me. It's the poster who is going to have bad karma not me.

• 3 months later...

Well , for the naysayers, the cruise and service was excellent. All of the staff loved the process and wish more guests would do the same. It was a win-win for everyone involved since the staff got an excellent tip and we got excellent service.

I will do this on every trip from now on.