Can't Pull the Trigger - Help!

RobinKY

Spent the last 3-4 days researching at work (don't tell). We can't decide on the best fit for us for a Christmas cruise.

Background info: Wife and I are early 40s, like to sun, frozen drinks, good food but nothing too exotic, hangout at loung/club at night. We are not into shows except maybe comedy clubs. Two kids 13 & 11 - looking for activities.

We live in KY and I don't mind the drive to FL or NOLA. Ft. Laud & Miami is a bit far tho. Wife prefers to fly. Kids are out of school Dec 18. Ports/Stops are not a big deal for us. We have never done a 7 day - just 4 and 5.

Short List:

RC Independence week of12/14 5 day, jr suite

pro: great for kids, great rate for jr suite, awesome ship

Con: take kids out of school, long drive, fly adds cost and hurdles based on available flights

Est total costs: drive - $3,800 fly: $4,500

CCL Dream week of 12/12, 7 day, 1 balacony

pro: great for kids, awesome ship, shorter drive

con: kids out of school, 4 in balcony room

Est total costs: drive - $3,700 fly NA

CCL Dream week of 12/19, 7 day, 2 interior

pro: great for kids, awesome ship, shorter drive, 2 interior rooms, kids out of school

con: about $1000 more than week prior (see above) and no balcony

Est Total Costs: drive $4,700

NCL Dream/Spirit/Star week of 12/20 7 days, 2 interior

Pro: kids out of school, good deal with free beverage packages about $1k cheaper than Dream same week, good food options, freestyle

Cons: Star has recent bad reviews, less for kids

Est Total Costs: drive $3,600

RCI Enchantment week of 12/14, 4 days, jr suite

Pro: cheapest in total, flying a possibility

Cons: shortest cruise, older ship, kids in school

Est total costs: drive $3000 fly $3,600

Edited by RobinKY

I have the same consideration; my 12 year old will miss 3 days of School in March. Perhaps you can get assignments from their teachers and have them complete them on the drive to the port or on the drive back home. I hope no one "flames" me for this suggestion. It's simply an option to consider.

Edited by Californiacruizers

[

CCL Dream week of 12/19, 7 day, 2 interior

pro: great for kids, awesome ship, shorter drive, 2 interior rooms, kids out of school

con: about $1000 more than week prior (see above) and no balcony

Est Total Costs: drive $4,700

My pick for you because you would have TWO bathrooms and be on the ship Christmas Day! :)

I would go with ncl....no bar bill....kids will find other kids to hangout with which doesn't require a lot of activities...have sailed gem and dawn to bermuda....ncl keeps up pretty well....use some of that saved money for a nice dinner in one if the specialty res.....have fun whatever you choose!

If you wait too long, holiday cruises will get sold out -- especially as that's the only time many families can travel.

The school system here is really hard on missing days (because that means a loss of money from the state really -- usually the last day or two before the holidays doesn't have any instruction).

With our girl at college now, I have to find out to wait to find out when her last class is before the fall break and the last final she has to take before the semester is over before arranging for her travels.

We have an 11 year old daughter. I would choose the Dream for sure! We all love the Dream. We have been won all the ships you are choosing from. We just don't care for the others. Not enough to do.

I may be in the minority - but we take our daughter out of school for travel. She will be missing 6 days over Thanksgiving. We just take homework with us.

Hello RobinKY,

My pick would be the Independence because the the Voyager ships are tremendous and Royal Caribbean is a terrific cruise line. But, since it's only a four-day cruise I think you are better off booking the two interior rooms on the 7-day Carnival Dream.

Take a nice week long cruise over the holidays, the longer the better, more time to relax, take it easy and enjoy yourselves.

Have a great cruise.

Jonathan

Hello RobinKY,

My pick would be the Independence because the the Voyager ships are tremendous and Royal Caribbean is a terrific cruise line. But, since it's only a four-day cruise I think you are better off booking the two interior rooms on the 7-day Carnival Dream.

To clarify - RC IOTS is a 5 day, not 4. Looks like an amazing ship.

Right now, leaning to cruising over Christmas and kids not missing school plus my work schedule is lighter and I usually really enjoy having the end of year off.

I think I am down to NCL Dawn or CCL Dream. Dawn is not as kid friendly so we'd do more excursions. Also assuming NCL is still running the free beverage packages. My wife said it stopped yesterday.

To clarify - RC IOTS is a 5 day, not 4. Looks like an amazing ship.

Right now, leaning to cruising over Christmas and kids not missing school plus my work schedule is lighter and I usually really enjoy having the end of year off.

I think I am down to NCL Dawn or CCL Dream. Dawn is not as kid friendly so we'd do more excursions. Also assuming NCL is still running the free beverage packages. My wife said it stopped yesterday.

Independence will be beautiful. We just sailed to Bermuda on sister ship Liberty and just adored this Freedom class vessel.

I think the Dream is your best option over the NCL Dawn. The Dream is much newer 2009 compared to 2002 for the Dawn. The Dream is also considerably bigger the NCL ship with tons of on board activities to keep you and your family busy.

Christmas is a great time to cruise there are always special events on board and there are festive decorations throughout the ship.

Happy Sails.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

My vote would be Freedom or Dream, both have lots for both adults and children, no school missed and it would be wonderful to be cruising over the holidays and 7 days is way better than 5 for a family of 4.

I have not been on the Dream but it seems it is well reviewed and I don't think you could go wrong. I have been on the Freedom Class and they are gorgeous and lots to do.

30% sale is ending today for RCL tomorrow they have the buy one get 50% off second but I suspect the 30% will be better. You could always put one on hold today for 24 hours and then if the price is cheaper with the new sale tomorrow than change it.

Whatever you decide don't wait too long as the price will only increase and have a great time.

If you can swing it, the Freedom is worth it. Freedom Class ships are really beautiful with dozens of inviting public spaces, lounges and tons of on board activities, shows and events throughout the day and night.

I would book Freedom in a heartbeat you're family and you will really love this ship.

Jonathan