Cozumel or Belize?

blonde375

Having never been to Belize and to Cozumel about 20 years ago, I'm wondering which port is better for which activity. The boys haven't experienced either activity before so I thought doing one in Belize and the other in Cozumel.

Snorkeling/sailing tour

Zip lining or ruins

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 16yr old boys)

TIA

seasportsbelize.com. This company has a fabulous snorkeling excursion. Belize has the second largest barrier reef next to Australia. Gorgeous coral - tons of beautiful fish.

Cozumel. Highly recommend Coba ruins. They are absolutely incredible. You can climb to the top of the largest temple. Once in a lifetime experience. It does take some effort to get there - but it's worth every minute. I never recommend ship excursions - but this one I would recommend doing with the ship.

We have been cruising for 28 years - easily 150 + excursions. These are two of our absolute favorites.

Having never been to Belize and to Cozumel about 20 years ago, I'm wondering which port is better for which activity. The boys haven't experienced either activity before so I thought doing one in Belize and the other in Cozumel.

Snorkeling/sailing tour

Zip lining or ruins

We are a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 16yr old boys)

TIA

I like the snorkeling in Belize the best off San Pedro (Shark Ray Alley), Caye Caulker, and a few other spots.

In Cozumel you can take an excursion to Tulum on the mainland. Beautiful ruins setting on a hill overlooking the aqua blue Caribbean. There are no worthwhile ruins on Cozumel itself.

If you go the other way, try a 2 or 3 stop snorkel in Coz, you'll probably be in a little deeper water and maybe even drift snorkel one stop.

Then you can go to Lamanai or Xanantunich in Belize, both wondrous ancient cities of the Maya. Avoid Altun Ha, it is small and poorly reconditioned.

Whatever ruin you go to, take the ship excursion. All are long days, and may have both a water segment and or a bus ride. Don't want to miss your ship at the end of your day.

The twins (I'll assume) will enjoy any of these activities. Google the ruins name for more info.

Edited by evandbob

Thanks everyone! The boys (our son and his best friend) are expressing interest in zip lining and cave tubing so I guess we might have to do that in Belize and water/beach in Cozumel

So now searching for private snorkel, sailing, beach excursions in Cozumel.

Thanks everyone! The boys (our son and his best friend) are expressing interest in zip lining and cave tubing so I guess we might have to do that in Belize and water/beach in Cozumel

With 2 teens of that age I'd head to Paradise Beach Club. Lots of water toys to play with and with the pool too, they won't be bored.

Taxi to the Money Bar (about $10) - great snorkeling from the shore, rental gear and guides if you need them, plus good facilities, lockers, food/drinks/service.

After an hour or two catch another cab to Paradise Beach - $3 admission/chair rental, extra for those wanting to do the water toys. Nice beach, HUGE pool, good facilities, food, drinks, & service. At the end of the day catch another cab (about $17) back to your ship -- there are 3 cruise piers on Coz, so be sure which one you are going to (my memory gets a little foggy after my 6th margarita :o

Playa Mia offers a snorkel on a catamaran (80 passengers) and then brings you back to Playa mia for beach time, water obstacle, slide, etc. 5 hrs $65

Any opinions on playa mia?

This gives me my snorkeling from a boat, the boys the water park/beach, but doesn't give us Punta Sur. Was really wanting to go to Punta Sur and Lighthouse

Playa Mia offers a snorkel on a catamaran (80 passengers) and then brings you back to Playa mia for beach time, water obstacle, slide, etc. 5 hrs $65

Any opinions on playa mia?

This gives me my snorkeling from a boat, the boys the water park/beach, but doesn't give us Punta Sur. Was really wanting to go to Punta Sur and Lighthouse

As much as I enjoyed Punta Sur, not sure it would be high on my list of priorities with two 16 year-old boys after considering the entrance fees for four.

I agree they would probably find more to enjoy at Paradise beach.

Thanks, c-legs. Is Paradise Beach different than Playa Mia?

Sorry- never been to Playa Mia so can't compare.

There is no entrance fee as such to Paradise, other than $3 lounger fee and $10pp food and drink minimum. activities are PAYG so I guess you have to estimate how many people and what activities you will need to see which is better value.

I am of the older generation and don't have any teens to occupy presently!

Absolutely Belize for the snorkeling. Try to get them on one that goes to the Barrier Reef (2nd largest in the world). Awesome snorkeling!

LuLu

Totally agree with this. Cozumel CAN be good, and there are some very easy opportunities that you can arrange from shore (like the Money bar), Belize largely hands down beats in IMHO.

In Belize, and I hate to say it (because I don't like to book through the cruise lines for may reasons), your best bet is to book with the cruise line IMHO. It keeps things simple and the the operator will meet you at the ship instead of tendering. Most tours will let you enter from the shore if you are beginners and want do it that way or will take you a bit further out by boat if that's desired (this was how I introduced my kids to snorkeling years ago).

If you choose Cozumel, well, I have mixed feelings. IMHO, go to the Money Bar, and enter from the shore. This is where a lot of the excursion operators drop their customers off (at a premium price) when it is easy to do this on your own (just factor in the costs of rental of equipment - which Money bar and others offer - or purchase of equipment prior to leaving into your decision). Cozumel Can be very nice, but to me Belize always blows it away. We have had some rough/cloudy snorkeling excursions in Cozumel, but have always been very please with Belize (maybe just the luck of the draw?)

I hope you get many posts and opinions on this and have a great time!

Edited by bankofdad

I brought my tween boy to Lamanai in Belize. He loved it! We did this as a mother-son thing while DH took the younger two to an easier excursion. It is a really great excursion. If you really want to see ruins, this is a fabulous trip with jungle hikes, howler monkeys, an airboat ride, and climb to the top of ruins.

I think that shore snorkelling in Cozumel is good - but Playa Mia and other places with nice beaches and sand toys don't really have good snorkelling - you would still need to book a tour to get to the reefs. Or take a cab to a good spot in the morning and go there in the afternoon. Shore snorkelling is best at the money bar or Chankanaab. Chankanaab has some cool fake ruins that at least gives you the flavor - (the experience is kind of like walking through a mini Jamestown or really-mini Colonial Williamsburg - there are replicas but staffed with real Mayans to give you some history and context) And there is tequila tasting at the end for the grown-ups. If you end up doing zip lining and cave tubing in Belize, this is a good option to get a little Mayan culture and some good shore snorkelling for a pretty reasonable price.