FLL Beach Area Hotel

Misty_Que

We are spending a few days in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise. Looking for a hotel on or within close walking distance to the beach and also close to restaurants. Would prefer something close enough to see the cruise ships leave port but not necessary. And when I say close I don't mean right up close and personal, just close enough to see them in the distance is fine.

Wanting something clean and in a nice safe area that is reasonably priced.

Please give me your recommendations. TIA

I see you are sailing on Monday January 25. For the weekend before any hotels that come close to meeting both your criteria will run at least $250-300 per night. And less than three months out the limited number of rooms at each with a Port view (looking south) may already be gone.

The most popular hotels near both the port and the 17 St bridge (for walking to the beach) are the oft-discussed Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66. If you are going to splurge and try to book a port view I would just stick with these; as you go further up the beach prices for hotels with rooms high enough to have a port view will not be any less expensive.

If you want a hotel with a port view but not necessarily convenient to the beach there are some like the Crowne Plaza Airport (need a room facing east) or a tower room at the Riverside Hotel (must face south). For a "reasonably priced" hotel within walking distance to the beach in January you can look at mom-an-pop hotels a ways away from the port, either north of Sunrise Blvd or on Hollywood Beach. The latter is popular with Canadians. Let us know if you narrow down your criteria and someone may have a specific recommendation.

Edited by fishywood

We are spending a few days in Fort Lauderdale pre-cruise. Looking for a hotel on or within close walking distance to the beach and also close to restaurants. Would prefer something close enough to see the cruise ships leave port but not necessary. And when I say close I don't mean right up close and personal, just close enough to see them in the distance is fine.

Wanting something clean and in a nice safe area that is reasonably priced.

Please give me your recommendations. TIA

What is reasonably priced?

The hotels that best fit your criteria are;

Hilton FLL Beach

W Hotel

Ritz Carlton

Westin

Bahia Mar

Best Western Oceanside

We stayed at the Drift Hotel last weekend before our cruise. It's a little "mom and pop" place, but very comfortable, quiet and about two blocks from the beach. The owners take great pride in the grounds and rooms. It's within walking distance to all the Fort Lauderdale Beach hot spots (2 blocks north of Los Olas Blvd). We booked through hotels.com. Cab fare was about $25 from the airport and $20 to the port. A small breakfast is included.

Edited by lax19

We are staying at the Ocean Sky which is on the North end of Ft Lauderdale 10 miles from FLL-but right on the beach. We went through hotwire and paid under $100 for Dec.

The hotel is a low 3 star but it is on the beach and close to a few restaurants.

We stayed at the Drift Hotel last weekend before our cruise. It's a little "mom and pop" place, but very comfortable, quiet and about two blocks from the beach. The owners take great pride in the grounds and rooms. It's within walking distance to all the Fort Lauderdale Beach hot spots (2 blocks north of Los Olas Blvd). We booked through hotels.com. Cab fare was about $25 from the airport and $20 to the port. A small breakfast is included.

Those little resort motels back on Birch Road are awesome and usually very reasonably priced.

I see you are sailing on Monday January 25. For the weekend before any hotels that come close to meeting both your criteria will run at least $250-300 per night. And less than three months out the limited number of rooms at each with a Port view (looking south) may already be gone.

The most popular hotels near both the port and the 17 St bridge (for walking to the beach) are the oft-discussed Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66. If you are going to splurge and try to book a port view I would just stick with these; as you go further up the beach prices for hotels with rooms high enough to have a port view will not be any less expensive.

If you want a hotel with a port view but not necessarily convenient to the beach there are some like the Crowne Plaza Airport (need a room facing east) or a tower room at the Riverside Hotel (must face south). For a "reasonably priced" hotel within walking distance to the beach in January you can look at mom-an-pop hotels a ways away from the port, either north of Sunrise Blvd or on Hollywood Beach. The latter is popular with Canadians. Let us know if you narrow down your criteria and someone may have a specific recommendation.

Thanks. We don't necessarily need a room with a port view. We were thinking if the hotel is close enough to the beach we would just go sit on the beach and watch the ships leave. On a previous cruise we stayed at the Sheraton Beach Hotel. While our room view sucked, we were able to sit on the beach and had a wonderful view of the cruise ships leaving port.

I forgot to mention that I also have travel miles that can be used towards Holiday Inn, Best Western, Hampton, Hilton, Doubletree, Sheraton, Courtyard, Crowne Plaza, Marriott, Residence Inn, Fairfield, W and Springhill. So If there are any suggestions for these brands as well I can look into them.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far. I will start looking.

Thanks. We don't necessarily need a room with a port view. We were thinking if the hotel is close enough to the beach we would just go sit on the beach and watch the ships leave. On a previous cruise we stayed at the Sheraton Beach Hotel. While our room view sucked, we were able to sit on the beach and had a wonderful view of the cruise ships leaving port.

I forgot to mention that I also have travel miles that can be used towards Holiday Inn, Best Western, Hampton, Hilton, Doubletree, Sheraton, Courtyard, Crowne Plaza, Marriott, Residence Inn, Fairfield, W and Springhill. So If there are any suggestions for these brands as well I can look into them.

The Bahia Mar is just up the road from that hotel you stayed at, is across the road, and has a walkway bridge over to the beach. It will be a bit more if you are staying over a weekend but we are staying there the Thursday and Friday night before you sail (we sail the Saturday Jan 23rd) and are paying 231 per night through the Hilton MVP site for a "partial ocean view" tower room. The Marina rooms are smaller but also cheaper. If you use miles, see if the selection specifies tower or marina.

The Bahia Mar is just up the road from that hotel you stayed at, is across the road, and has a walkway bridge over to the beach. It will be a bit more if you are staying over a weekend but we are staying there the Thursday and Friday night before you sail (we sail the Saturday Jan 23rd) and are paying 231 per night through the Hilton MVP site for a "partial ocean view" tower room. The Marina rooms are smaller but also cheaper. If you use miles, see if the selection specifies tower or marina.

Thanks! I'll check that one out as well. I believe I saw it on the list :)

By far if you can get the Courtyard Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach jump all over that.

In a close second the Doubletree Gallery One.

Can you use Sheraton points at the Westin?

By far if you can get the Courtyard Marriott Fort Lauderdale Beach jump all over that.

In a close second the Doubletree Gallery One.

Can you use Sheraton points at the Westin?

The Courtyard Marriott FL Beach is on my list of options. How does the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort compare to the Courtyard? That one is also showing up for the same amount of points but the Hilton is listed with a higher star rating.

The Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort is available as well but will cost more points.

In your opinion which is the better of the 3?

Edited by Misty_Que

Those little resort motels back on Birch Road are awesome and usually very reasonably priced.

We are arriving three nights early for our January 30 cruise and hotel prices for most of those large chain hotels mentioned in this thread were in the $250-300 per night range. At that rate I would be paying more for the three nights hotel and meals than I am for the cruise!

After doing a lot of research on tripadvisor we settled on one of these little hotels, reviews are excellent and it sounds just fine!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

The Courtyard Marriott FL Beach is on my list of options. How does the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort compare to the Courtyard? That one is also showing up for the same amount of points but the Hilton is listed with a higher star rating.

The Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort is available as well but will cost more points.

In your opinion which is the better of the 3?

No contest, by a far margin, go with the Hilton! It is REALLY nice, has a really cool new sun deck, fantastic pool, and one of my favorite restaurants in FLL, S3.

The views of the ocean are awesome!

Seriously, don't wait to book this hotel. Amazing!

We are arriving three nights early for our January 30 cruise and hotel prices for most of those large chain hotels mentioned in this thread were in the $250-300 per night range. At that rate I would be paying more for the three nights hotel and meals than I am for the cruise!

After doing a lot of research on tripadvisor we settled on one of these little hotels, reviews are excellent and it sounds just fine!

Please come back and write a review and let us know how it was and which hotel you picked!

Great location!

BlueHeron or anyone else that can provide feedback. I just want to confirm my list of available hotel choices before I book the Hilton. I want to make sure I am booking the best hotel for the best value (Air Miles) based on my needs. :D

Located on or close to beach, in a good safe area with restaurants and shopping within walking distance and not too far from the port.

I will list the Air Miles/Points cost with the hotel so you can get an idea and let me know which is the better hotel and value.

Bahai Mar Beach Resort = 2395/night

Marriott Hollywood Beach - 3205/night

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach - 3605/night

W Fort Lauderdale = 3662/night

Westin Beach Resort = 3960/night

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbour Beach Resort = 4302/night

Thank you for your help!!!

I'm also looking at using Air Miles for one of our rooms at the Bahia Mar, but I will say that you should pull up the room selection and pick a higher "priced" room. The lowest miles room is the older Marina building, not the main tower building, and the rooms are smaller over there. You will be looking at around 2900 or so miles for a partial ocean view room. You may wish to compare to what kind of rooms those other hotels give you for those miles, as those hotels are higher "rated" than the Bahia Mar. If you have the miles to spare, I would definitely go for the Marriott Harbor Beach.

I'm also looking at using Air Miles for one of our rooms at the Bahia Mar, but I will say that you should pull up the room selection and pick a higher "priced" room. The lowest miles room is the older Marina building, not the main tower building, and the rooms are smaller over there. You will be looking at around 2900 or so miles for a partial ocean view room. You may wish to compare to what kind of rooms those other hotels give you for those miles, as those hotels are higher "rated" than the Bahia Mar. If you have the miles to spare, I would definitely go for the Marriott Harbor Beach.

Thanks. The rate I listed for the Marriott Harbour Beach is only for a standard room. I am hoping to book a king room in whichever hotel I pick and know it will cost me more Air Miles. I was also hoping to keep it under 4000/night but may consider going over.

I do like some of the amenities the Marriott Harbour Beach offers but also saw on Oyster that it doesn't have much off site dining nearby. So was a little worried about that. Trip Advisor also gave the Hilton a better rating than the Marriott.

Thanks. The rate I listed for the Marriott Harbour Beach is only for a standard room. I am hoping to book a king room in whichever hotel I pick and know it will cost me more Air Miles. I was also hoping to keep it under 4000/night but may consider going over.

I do like some of the amenities the Marriott Harbour Beach offers but also saw on Oyster that it doesn't have much off site dining nearby. So was a little worried about that. Trip Advisor also gave the Hilton a better rating than the Marriott.

That's true. The Harbor Beach is just down a little cul de sac just south of the Sheraton Beach Hotel that you've stayed at previously. Just up and around the corner and across the street from there is a popular place called Bahia Cabana, a pretty easy walk. Just up past the Bahia Mar is the Oasis Cafe, and just past that is Bubba Gumps. This is about half a mile walk from the hotel, but then, those are also that close to the other hotels which are to the north as well. So kind of a wash. But what I really like about the location of the Harbor Beach is the easy access to walk down the beach to the port inlet and watch the parade of ships leaving. There are 5 Saturday and 4 Sunday (including getting to wave to me on Saturday lol).

That's true. The Harbor Beach is just down a little cul de sac just south of the Sheraton Beach Hotel that you've stayed at previously. Just up and around the corner and across the street from there is a popular place called Bahia Cabana, a pretty easy walk. Just up past the Bahia Mar is the Oasis Cafe, and just past that is Bubba Gumps. This is about half a mile walk from the hotel, but then, those are also that close to the other hotels which are to the north as well. So kind of a wash. But what I really like about the location of the Harbor Beach is the easy access to walk down the beach to the port inlet and watch the parade of ships leaving. There are 5 Saturday and 4 Sunday (including getting to wave to me on Saturday lol).

The Oasis Café shut down months ago but someone new is going in there. I think it may have already reopened.

Good riddance, that place was horrible.

BlueHeron or anyone else that can provide feedback. I just want to confirm my list of available hotel choices before I book the Hilton. I want to make sure I am booking the best hotel for the best value (Air Miles) based on my needs. :D

Located on or close to beach, in a good safe area with restaurants and shopping within walking distance and not too far from the port.

I will list the Air Miles/Points cost with the hotel so you can get an idea and let me know which is the better hotel and value.

Bahai Mar Beach Resort = 2395/night

Marriott Hollywood Beach - 3205/night

Hilton Fort Lauderdale Beach - 3605/night

W Fort Lauderdale = 3662/night

Westin Beach Resort = 3960/night

Fort Lauderdale Marriott Harbour Beach Resort = 4302/night

Thank you for your help!!!

Marriott Hollywood is too far from the port.

The Bahia Mar is the best value.

The Westin costs too much.

W is really nice and good value for that amt of points.

Marriott Harbor Beach is the nicest and is right on the beach which is why it is so expensive. It has the nicest pool area.

We are staying at FLL Hilton Beach Resort. Have stayed at Bahia Mar one time previously and was just okay. Could not believe point levels were so close in comparison!!! Even called Hilton to make sure not an error. :eek:

We were going to stay at the Hilton first but they charge a $25/day resort fee. Which can add up with the Canadian dollar so low. The W doesn't have any resort fees.