Confused / Disappointed

Jb-lhr

Agree Peggy that it is quite ridiculous to expect what you proposed but, if a company advertises unlimited, without any qualifications, it needs to be able to support everyone and anyone wanting to go on each and all of the free excursions.

Look at it this way, auto dealers advertise cars at really low prices but, in the fine print they say supplies limited or put one or two stock number as the only ones available at that price otherwise they would have to sell that model car to everyone who came in and wanted to buy one.

Many stores advertise low prices for particular items but, if it says supplies are limited, they say so in the advertisement otherwise people expect and are entitled to rain checks if the item is sold out. If there were asterisks or something referring to words elsewhere, that would be different but, have not seen those in any advertising either in print or on the website.

Actually, it is on their website. When you look at the "Find a Cruise" section of the website and select a cruise that you are interested in, click on "Free Excursions and Onboard Activities" tab and you will find the following (I have underlined specific sentences). I mistakenly indicated that you could book excursions 240 days in advance. This is actually for flights - not excursions. You can book excursions 180 days in advance.

Free Unlimited Shore Excursions are for full fare guests only, capacity controlled and subject to availability. Requested excursions may not be available at time of booking. Supplement will apply on Regent Choice excursions (indicated by the above) and excludes Private Arrangements and all Adventures Ashore programs. In order to ensure quality guides and sufficient transportation, we must provide the tour operator with passenger counts at least 36 hours in advance. Therefore no refunds will be given within 36 hours of tour departure for cancellations or no-shows. Please pay special attention to scheduling and tour lengths when booking your shore excursions. In many cases, it is not possible to participate in more than one tour per day in a given port. Tour Departure times are subject to change so please reference your actual tour ticket for the correct departure time. Tours operate rain or shine. Minor children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a an adult parent or guardian on all shore excursions. Tours require minimum participation levels to operate so please sign up as early as possible. Tours may be cancelled if minimum participation levels are not met. Prices, Itineraries and General Information shore excursion prices are subject to change to meet unexpected cost increases or currency fluctuations. Please consult the Destination Services Desk onboard for information. During local or national holidays, access to certain facilities (such as museums or archaeological sites) may be limited or denied. In such instances, adjustments will be made to minimize inconvenience to guests. Some tours have limited availability. Tours are generally available for reserving 180 days prior to the beginning of a cruise. Please sign up early to avoid disappointment. Regent Seven Seas Cruises reserves the right to require guests to complete a liability waiver for select shore excursions. For more information, please visit the Destination Services Desk onboard.

Edited by Travelcat2

TC, your 240 day figure was correct for you. Passengers who are Silver or above or passengers who book a Concierge Suite or above may book excursions 240 days in advance. All other passengers may book excursions 180 days in advance. Air deviations may be booked 270 days in advance.

Actually, it is on their website. When you look at the "Find a Cruise" section of the website and select a cruise that you are interested in, click on "Free Excursions and Onboard Activities" tab and you will find the following (I have underlined specific sentences). I mistakenly indicated that you could book excursions 240 days in advance. This is actually for flights - not excursions. You can book excursions 180 days in advance.

Free Unlimited Shore Excursions are for full fare guests only, capacity controlled and subject to availability. Requested excursions may not be available at time of booking. Supplement will apply on Regent Choice excursions (indicated by the above) and excludes Private Arrangements and all Adventures Ashore programs. In order to ensure quality guides and sufficient transportation, we must provide the tour operator with passenger counts at least 36 hours in advance. Therefore no refunds will be given within 36 hours of tour departure for cancellations or no-shows. Please pay special attention to scheduling and tour lengths when booking your shore excursions. In many cases, it is not possible to participate in more than one tour per day in a given port. Tour Departure times are subject to change so please reference your actual tour ticket for the correct departure time. Tours operate rain or shine. Minor children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a an adult parent or guardian on all shore excursions. Tours require minimum participation levels to operate so please sign up as early as possible. Tours may be cancelled if minimum participation levels are not met. Prices, Itineraries and General Information shore excursion prices are subject to change to meet unexpected cost increases or currency fluctuations. Please consult the Destination Services Desk onboard for information. During local or national holidays, access to certain facilities (such as museums or archaeological sites) may be limited or denied. In such instances, adjustments will be made to minimize inconvenience to guests. Some tours have limited availability. Tours are generally available for reserving 180 days prior to the beginning of a cruise. Please sign up early to avoid disappointment. Regent Seven Seas Cruises reserves the right to require guests to complete a liability waiver for select shore excursions. For more information, please visit the Destination Services Desk onboard.

Did not say what you quoted was not on the website, I did say it was in the fine print and not included in the printed brochures. The problem I am describing is advertisements which come in the snail mail advertising "unlimited" and nothing in the brochure about limitations vs. advertising from other retailers where the words you quoted are within the advertisement. and if not included in those brochures signify unlimited without exception.

Not everyone has access to the internet and thus the website and much like Regent holds speciality reservations for those who can't or won't book on line, print advertisements need to include any and all exceptions to what is advertised. Again, look at your grocery, auto, and other ads. If exceptions are not included in the print ad, a rain check has to be provided and the retailer has to sell at the sale price.

IMHO, using the word "unlimited" is disingenuous when almost all if not all of the excursions are limited. Fully understand why excursions cannot be unlimited and not the fault of Regent but, why use the word under these circumstances.

And, why even use the word "unlimited" when in what was quoted, it clearly says that they are limited???

Edited by tommiroke

TC, your 240 day figure was correct for you. Passengers who are Silver or above or passengers who book a Concierge Suite or above may book excursions 240 days in advance. All other passengers may book excursions 180 days in advance. Air deviations may be booked 270 days in advance.

Thank you for straightening me out on days -- it reminded me that I can book our air deviation for our November cruise in just a couple of months:)

Well, frankly, if the port was for China/ Beijing I would expect a line that advertised and sold included tours to provide for just about everyone to go to the Great Wall, etc. For me it's a bit like all meals included. They can't just provide them for some.

Well, frankly, if the port was for China/ Beijing I would expect a line that advertised and sold included tours to provide for just about everyone to go to the Great Wall, etc. For me it's a bit like all meals included. They can't just provide them for some.

As I said earlier - I agree with Peggy that it is not possible to have availability for 700 passengers on every excursion. However, for the scenario you gave, I assume that Regent could put on as many buses as there are passengers that want to go to the Great Wall (or any other excursion where they can add buses - assuming they are available which they would be in China). Regent does not make included excursions only available to "some" but it is first come, first served.

When Regent keeps adding buses to accommodate guests (which they do whenever possible) there is a downside. Having even 6-10+ buses going to the same place at approximately the same time is not ideal. Regent does try to vary the order of the stops but this sometimes has meant having a wine tasting at 9:30 a.m. or lunch at 3:00 p.m.

Although almost everyone knows my views on "included" excursions, perhaps it bears repeating. I was unhappy when they began them in the first place and wish there we could opt out on most of our Regent cruises. We do not like being herded like sheep into buses - watching people that are not disabled taking the front seats -- being in places with other Regent groups in very crowded areas....... I could go on and on. Some people don't mind or even enjoy the excursions but I do not find joining busloads of people to be luxury.

IMO, Regent has every right to limit excursions (legal and otherwise). Excursions are not part of the onboard Regent experience - a place where Regent has control of what goes on. Just as with flights, Regent is dependent upon outside companies (tour operators and airlines for instance) to provide services. Suggesting that Regent has an obligation to make every excursion available to every passenger does not make sense to me and really isn't doable. The alternative could be to do away with the included excursions. Hmmmmm, that would make me very happy!:)

Edited by Travelcat2

As I said earlier - I agree with Peggy that it is not possible to have availability for 700 passengers on every excursion. However, for the scenario you gave, I assume that Regent could put on as many buses as there are passengers that want to go to the Great Wall (or any other excursion where they can add buses - assuming they are available which they would be in China). Regent does not make included excursions only available to "some" but it is first come, first served.

When Regent keeps adding buses to accommodate guests (which they do whenever possible) there is a downside. Having even 6-10+ buses going to the same place at approximately the same time is not ideal. Regent does try to vary the order of the stops but this sometimes has meant having a wine tasting at 9:30 a.m. or lunch at 3:00 p.m.

Although almost everyone knows my views on "included" excursions, perhaps it bears repeating. I was unhappy when they began them in the first place and wish there we could opt out on most of our Regent cruises. We do not like being herded like sheep into buses - watching people that are not disabled taking the front seats -- being in places with other Regent groups in very crowded areas....... I could go on and on. Some people don't mind or even enjoy the excursions but I do not find joining busloads of people to be luxury.

IMO, Regent has every right to limit excursions (legal and otherwise). Excursions are not part of the onboard Regent experience - a place where Regent has control of what goes on. Just as with flights, Regent is dependent upon outside companies (tour operators and airlines for instance) to provide services. Suggesting that Regent has an obligation to make every excursion available to every passenger does not make sense to me and really isn't doable. The alternative could be to do away with the included excursions. Hmmmmm, that would make me very happy!:)

Agree with the majority of the above post and would agree 100% if Regent didn't state in writing on brochures provided by them without any conditions that they provide free unlimited excursions. That is the crux of the matter and one for some reason you completely ignore.

Of course all cruise lines rely on outside providers for their shore excursions and advertising is written to make soe people think they will get more than they will in actually by providing large bolded statements with small footnotes that often times provide limitations to the promises in big bold letters. The problem here is that Regent sends out literally tons of advertising materials that promise free unlimited excursions wihtout the footnotes and thus need to be held to what they promise. Simply including the footnotes would solve the issue but, they simply aren't there.

Would you want to book a cruise a few months before travel and be told that air was not included??? No footnotes for those included flights either. And, as Peggy stated, do you believe that Regent could restrict meals which are also promised without footnotes and be in compliance????

You have to look at the big picture and since you have ignored that possibility, perhaps you have realized the advertising unlimited free excursions to be in error and promising what they can't deliver!!!!

I'm not avoiding the point - I simply did not see the point. As mentioned earlier, Regent is in control of the amenities on board the ship (which includes food). If possible, I'd like to stick to what is offered by outside vendors. Otherwise someone could start the discussion that "we don't drink so why do we have to pay for it":o

In terms of flights, these are also limited (as I believe you alluded to in your post). There are only so many seats on contracted flights that are available to Regent. If you are not happy with what Regent offers, you have to pay a deviation fee and possibly (depending upon the airline) a fee in addition to that. This is also not spelled out in their literature.

If you look at all of the caveats on the Regent contract (I just did), perhaps you will see why all of that cannot fit into an email or print ad. Having thought about it, it would be nice if Regent put an asterisk next to "free unlimited excursions" and flights that simply said "restrictions apply". Then, if someone is interested in booking a cruise, they can look up the "legalese" on the Regent website. Not sure if this is what you meant by "footnotes".

I do agree that Regent cannot deliver on what some people feel they are entitled to when they book a Regent cruise (in terms of flights and excursions). This is yet another reason to either stop included excursions or to have an opt out option as they do with flights.

Edited by Travelcat2

I'm not avoiding the point - I simply did not see the point. As mentioned earlier, Regent is in control of the amenities on board the ship (which includes food). If possible, I'd like to stick to what is offered by outside vendors. Otherwise someone could start the discussion that "we don't drink so why do we have to pay for it":o

In terms of flights, these are also limited (as I believe you alluded to in your post). There are only so many seats on contracted flights that are available to Regent. If you are not happy with what Regent offers, you have to pay a deviation fee and possibly (depending upon the airline) a fee in addition to that. This is also not spelled out in their literature.

If you look at all of the caveats on the Regent contract (I just did), perhaps you will see why all of that cannot fit into an email or print ad. Having thought about it, it would be nice if Regent put an asterisk next to "free unlimited excursions" and flights that simply said "restrictions apply". Then, if someone is interested in booking a cruise, they can look up the "legalese" on the Regent website. Not sure if this is what you meant by "footnotes".

I do agree that Regent cannot deliver on what some people feel they are entitled to when they book a Regent cruise (in terms of flights and excursions). This is yet another reason to either stop included excursions or to have an opt out option as they do with flights.

By George, she's got it!! That is what I have been saying on this thread, the fact that possibly Regent is not being completely honest by not putting that asterisk which leads one to the footnote that restrictions apply and causing customers to not know that in fact, free excursions are not unlimited and that customers risk not getting the excursions or possibly their air fare both of which they pay for if they book too late.

In some locales, advertising something that is not available could be against their specific laws and while am sure that the bolded free unlimited excursions brings new unknowing customers who book expecting to get the excursions and air of their choosing a risk is taken by not doing as both of us have suggested.

This knowledge prior to booking will help avoid the OP's lack of understanding.

Travelcat2,

It's nice that you don't care that you have to decide months in advance where and when you want to dine. I do. Having to decide that far in advance is not a luxury option to me. It forces me to pick a place and time that I maya not want when I'm actually on the ship.

As for the excursions others here have described it better than I. Regent advertises unlimited free excursions (never mind that the good ones cost extra) and you shouldn't have to scan the fine print to find out that the headline in its ads is misleading.

Travelcat2,

It's nice that you don't care that you have to decide months in advance where and when you want to dine. I do. Having to decide that far in advance is not a luxury option to me. It forces me to pick a place and time that I maya not want when I'm actually on the ship.

As for the excursions others here have described it better than I. Regent advertises unlimited free excursions (never mind that the good ones cost extra) and you shouldn't have to scan the fine print to find out that the headline in its ads is misleading.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure that a page of limitations, exceptions, etc. would fit very well into their ads, however, they could put "restrictions apply" in the same font as the text (not the headline -- that would look rather weird).

I cannot recall if you sail Seabourn or Crystal but my question is the same for either. Are you always able to get the date, time and table size in specialty restaurants when you get on board? Just curious.

Travelcat2,

We have no idea what we want to do or reserve far in advance to the point that on the day of, finding a specialty for 2 available becomes a crap shoot and oh well.... the excursion marketing is another annoyance as we don't want them either. The marketing of them seems to be geared to the same people who flock to "happy hour" to get as much free booze as they can. I would prefer the ad to be less "happy hour ish" and maybe tone it down to.......many excursions included. It would seem that the excursion thing has been a good draw for new customers but is a turn off for us.

As I mentioned, I'm not sure that a page of limitations, exceptions, etc. would fit very well into their ads, however, they could put "restrictions apply" in the same font as the text (not the headline -- that would look rather weird).

I cannot recall if you sail Seabourn or Crystal but my question is the same for either. Are you always able to get the date, time and table size in specialty restaurants when you get on board? Just curious.

I mostly sail Seabourn though I am venturing back to Silversea in a couple of months. On Seabourn I can pretty much get in wherever I want when I want but any reservation I have to make is not until I am onboard. It is much easier for me to decide where I want to dine a day or two in advance than several months in advance. I understand others may not feel the same way but that's my opinion.

I mostly sail Seabourn though I am venturing back to Silversea in a couple of months. On Seabourn I can pretty much get in wherever I want when I want but any reservation I have to make is not until I am onboard. It is much easier for me to decide where I want to dine a day or two in advance than several months in advance. I understand others may not feel the same way but that's my opinion.

We just returned from the Cape Town to Rio cruise on the Mariner. Had booked all the excursions ahead of time - changed our mind about one of them while on board, were wait listed for our new choice for a couple days, and then got word that we'd get on it for sure.

Had also made two dinner reservations ahead of time and made two more while on board. Prime 7 accommodated our request for a table for two by seating us at a table meant for four by making it a table for two - fine with us, just had a little more room for our plates and glasses! :)

Have never NOT been able to get on an excursion we've requested and have also done some of the premium ones for an extra fee, plus done some on our own.

Overall a great cruise and amazing experiences with no bad "aftertaste."

~Benita

One needs to be very careful before making assumptions - although to most people my Mom appears to not have any disabilities, unfortunately, that is not the case. I will respect her privacy and not share her medical information on a public forum, but more than once when we requested handicapped seating, we have heard comments from others that "too many people are abusing the system". While there are some passengers with visible disabilities, there are others that for medical reasons also need to be seated near the front of the bus that may not appear to be "disabled".

gnomie :)

One needs to be very careful before making assumptions - although to most people my Mom appears to not have any disabilities, unfortunately, that is not the case. I will respect her privacy and not share her medical information on a public forum, but more than once when we requested handicapped seating, we have heard comments from others that "too many people are abusing the system". While there are some passengers with visible disabilities, there are others that for medical reasons also need to be seated near the front of the bus that may not appear to be "disabled".

I spoke with two of the couples that sat in the front seats - they were not disabled and did not claim to be. In one case, a man in a wheelchair slowly made his way into the bus...... the couple in the front were asked to move and they did so. IMO, needing to sit "near the front of the bus" is one thing. Being barely able to walk is another. The other couple said that they had not had the opportunity to sit in the front and did not plan to move.

While I am certainly not trying to determine who is obviously disabled, who gets car-sick from sitting in the back or other medical disabilities that are not visible, I am directing my comments to the abled bodied people who simply do not care and sit in front.

I made strong remarks on my comment card regarding this. Regent is suppose to have a policy whereby people that require front seats advise Destination Services. Destination Services puts "Handicapped" signs on the seats (that some people throw away but at least they may think about sitting in a seat that is not meant for them). This was not being done on any of the buses that we were on. Either Destination Services is failing in yet another area or passengers are neglecting to advise them of their needs.

This is a perfect example of a thread degenerating on this Regent Board. :mad:

Up to about Post 17 there was some really useful information that would help other Regent cruisers and prospective cruisers.

After that the thread just turns into bickering over the rights and wrongs of marketing blurb - not good cruise critic reading and certainly not helpful

Sorry if I upset any posters but I come on these Boards to try to obtain information that may be useful to my vacation.........not to read opinionated posts that help no-one.

If individuals have a gripe about Regent marketing blurb then complain to Regent or start a new thread on that specific subject. Most of us are grownup enough to understand what is being offered in the package.

Apologies for my rant...............this post is also not very useful. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is not the thread to go into detail, but since we are on the subject - we have actually witnessed passengers get on the bus, see the handicapped reserve sign, remove it and then sit in the seats. When the handicapped person enters the bus, these same individuals claim that there were no reserved seating. This is not an isolated incident.

This is not the thread to go into detail, but since we are on the subject - we have actually witnessed passengers get on the bus, see the handicapped reserve sign, remove it and then sit in the seats. When the handicapped person enters the bus, these same individuals claim that there were no reserved seating. This is not an isolated incident.

As posted above, we have witnessed the same thing!

flossie009, While I agree that there was unnecessary bickering on the previous page, sometimes one subject leads into another and remains cruise related and informative. IMO, this is the case with disabled people on excursions. JMHO:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

With regard to the front seats for handicapped people, I use a portable oxygen concentrator and need the front seat because there is room for my machine at my feet. On our last cruise, CPT - CPT, I spoke with Destination Services. I knew she had the marker placed on the front seats. Sometimes, it was there if I boarded early, sometimes it was gone. I usually will ask the people if they would accommodate my needs. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't, although most people are pretty nice. That's life. I just won't let it ruin my trip.

Sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

While looking through the Regent website, I found that there is a notation regarding "Pricing, Terms and Conditions"...... see this link http://www.rssc.com/experience/all-included/ Although it would be useful to see the same reference under the "Free Unlimited Excursions Tab", IMO, this is just an oversight -- not an attempt to hide anything. Note: If you click on the "Pricing, Terms and Conditions", notice that there are three tabs so there is a lot of information to read.

Benita (Two Happy Cruisers), interestingly, we could not clear the waitlists (we were on all of them) for St. Helena - the port that we missed. While we were not overly concerned since we had been there before, we realize that this is one port where they use every available vehicle (school buses, etc.) in an attempt to accommodate passengers that want to see their island.

Edited by Travelcat2

I mean no disrespect to anyone and have great admiration for those that continue to travel in their later years (I hope to join that club someday); however I do have to say that some of these passengers have no sense of anyone around them. For example: being first off the bus (and taking 10 minutes to do so) and then standing in front of the bus door so that no one else can get off. Same while on the ship, blocking access to the entryways, buffet in La Veranda etc. For excursions, those less able bodied may be best to stay on the ship if they truly are not mobile enough to manage a few more seats back in the bus.

While looking through the Regent website, I found that there is a notation regarding "Pricing, Terms and Conditions"...... see this link http://www.rssc.com/experience/all-included/ Although it would be useful to see the same reference under the "Free Unlimited Excursions Tab", IMO, this is just an oversight -- not an attempt to hide anything. Note: If you click on the "Pricing, Terms and Conditions", notice that there are three tabs so there is a lot of information to read.

Looked at that page and noticed that there are asterisks by air and several other lines but, none by Unlimited Free Excursions. The missing asterisks are missing in everyone of the other locations where Unlimited Free Excursions are mentioned. Do you really believe that all these missing asterisks are really an oversight??? Don't think many people agree with that!!!

Legalize always has lots to read and lawyers are on staff to make sure everything necessary is included in all public documents. Have to wonder how this got by the legal department all these years since excursions were included??