Hygiene, hand washing and gel

Justmyopinion

Just returned from Britannia and for the first couple of days, all restaurants had hand gel at the entrance. After Teneriffe, that all disappeared except for the self service Horizon restaurant which also had hand washing at each entrance - not that everyone used if anyway - WHAT is wrong with people?

Why did the hygiene standard change for the worse?

Why did the hand wash facilities fail to work consistently?

Why was the soap in the auto dispensers able to run out and seemingly go unreplenished?

Why did everything change again when we hit Barbados and a new tranche of passengers joined?

TBH we didn't because there was a general sense that there was relatively little concern amongst staff and it was clearly a policy decision as the equipment was in all the restaurants but simply njkot displayed until change over days. Formal comments about this have been made in writing however

When we cruise next May, I shall take a pack of antibacterial hand wipes with us, and use them if there isn't anything provided by the ship. If there is something provided, and I see people going into the restaurants and not using them, I shall make myself very unpopular by commenting loudly "there goes a dirty old man!" Anyone who has had norovirus will tell you how horrible it is, I can't understand why people won't take basic steps to try to avoid it.:confused:

When we cruise next May, I shall take a pack of antibacterial hand wipes with us, and use them if there isn't anything provided by the ship. If there is something provided, and I see people going into the restaurants and not using them, I shall make myself very unpopular by commenting loudly "there goes a dirty old man!" Anyone who has had norovirus will tell you how horrible it is, I can't understand why people won't take basic steps to try to avoid it.:confused:

So you will use antibacterial wipes to combat a virus.

Hmm.

Dirty - yes.

Old - not necessarily

Man - not necessarily.

Granted some men are bad but so are some ladies.

We used to have a Tea Room and I had plenty of experience of peoples dirty habits and I definitely can't understand why people won't take basic steps etc.

Personally, I have a dread of touching toilet door handles and always use a hand towel.

Incidentally, how many people has anyone ever seen showering before entering a swimming pool or Jacuzzi ? Granted they are full of chlorine.

Many ships are phasing out the use of hand gel on entering the restaurants as thorough hand-washing is really the only safe way to remove contaminants and hand gel makes people complacent.

Just returned from Britannia and for the first couple of days, all restaurants had hand gel at the entrance. After Teneriffe, that all disappeared except for the self service Horizon restaurant which also had hand washing at each entrance - not that everyone used if anyway - WHAT is wrong with people?

Why did the hygiene standard change for the worse?

Why did the hand wash facilities fail to work consistently?

Why was the soap in the auto dispensers able to run out and seemingly go unreplenished?

Why did everything change again when we hit Barbados and a new tranche of passengers joined?

Totally agree with you. I was recently (Sept/)Oct) on Aurora and Oriana, both ships often had empty auto hand gel dispensers in the buffet areas, supervision by staff of pax entering area was poor and I saw many pax walk straight into buffet without using gel.

No wonder illness hit both ships.