Just back from Allure 2-nighter

klever

My wife and I just got back from the Allure 2-night cruise to Nassau from Port Everglades. We're longtime, Emerald RCCL cruisers and we learned and observed some important things this time around. Some of this might be old hat for most of you, but I felt like sharing anyway:

1. Short cruises attract a type of passenger that I'd rather not travel with. They're cruising on the cheap and still feel entitled to cut in line, reserve seats, speak loudly on their balconies and generally ignore the fact that there are others on board the ship.

2. NEVER cruise from Port Everglades on a Friday! The outdoor parking lots were full and we were forced to park in the Midport garage. I'm assuming this is because many cruises leave on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays and the parking lots were filled on those days. There was only one shuttle bus running from the garage to Terminal 18, which made for long waits.

3. Once you reach the terminal, RCCL employees no longer handle the check-in as in the past. It's now handled by an outside company, and they are far less efficient and friendly.

4. We're not Gold card cruisers, not even Diamond or Diamond plus. Still, we'd like to feel that being a Crown and Anchor member meant more than a package of cookies and two bottles of water in our stateroom.

5. The Windjammer - never our first choice for dining - seems to have gotten worse in terms of food quality, choice and general chaos. I do not need to listen to loud top 40 music while I eat!

6. I had to chuckle during our last morning eating breakfast in the Windjammer. They play a recorded announcement every few minutes, a woman with a very pleasant British accent saying (in much nicer language than I'm using here): "We've had enough of you. Please eat and get the F off our ship." I realize what probably led to this "innovation:" hoardes of rude, entitled travelers who sit and eat far longer than necessary.

Anyone think I'm off-base with these observations?

My wife and I just got back from the Allure 2-night cruise to Nassau from Port Everglades. We're longtime, Emerald RCCL cruisers and we learned and observed some important things this time around. Some of this might be old hat for most of you, but I felt like sharing anyway:

1. Short cruises attract a type of passenger that I'd rather not travel with. They're cruising on the cheap and still feel entitled to cut in line, reserve seats, speak loudly on their balconies and generally ignore the fact that there are others on board the ship.

#1 on your list just described every elderly senior citizen I've run into in a mall or restaurant in South Florida. Having been here for a week, pre cruise, I'm always left chuckling when I see these older couples just not giving a crap about where the line starts, who is in it or how long the line is. Thank God most of these old bats don't carry guns is all I can say. There'd be multiple mass shootings on a daily basis in South Florida.

#1 on your list just described every elderly senior citizen I've run into in a mall or restaurant in South Florida. Having been here for a week, pre cruise, I'm always left chuckling when I see these older couples just not giving a crap about where the line starts, who is in it or how long the line is. Thank God most of these old bats don't carry guns is all I can say. There'd be multiple mass shootings on a daily basis in South Florida.

"Every elderly senior citizen"? I guess you haven't met me or run into me. Please don't include me in your description as I'm far from what you describe. Here's a 411 for you . . . One day, if you are lucky, you'll be one of us.

What on earth makes you think. that elderly citizens don't carry heat?

I recently took a short voyage on Oasis. I was a little concerned that there would be a bit of a party vibe with associated drinking that would create a rowdy crowd, that did not happen at all. Of course there were a few folks who could have worked on their manners a bit, but for the most part we only witnessed very courteous folks.

As for Crown and Anchor, I am almost to Emerald. Trust me, it doesn't mean squat (according to the chart of benefits). And Diamond doesn't seem to be that big of a deal. Diamond plus and Pinnacle look like they offer some decent benefits, but by the time you have paid RCIs cruise prices to get there, you could have enjoyed the cruises on another line and bought many of those benefits several times over. Just my opinion of course.

5. The Windjammer - never our first choice for dining - seems to have gotten worse in terms of food quality, choice and general chaos. I do not need to listen to loud top 40 music while I eat!

We have never cruised before. Ever. We are about to take our first cruise on Nov 29 Western Carib. Allure.

Cruising never seemed like the thing for us....we don't drink a lot, we don't gamble, we are not "Vegas" type people. So, for all of our adult life we have never cruised.

We are however, foodies. Everyone who raves about cruises says the food is to die for. I'm worried that we will be severely disappointed in one of the few things attractive to us about cruising.

One time I saw a pic of the Allure at port. It has a Gordon Food Services truck pulled up to it. Gordon Food Services....you know the lowest food distributor that appeals to the "low cost buffet" restaurants. We don't care if it is gormet food, but we expect better than low cost buffet style for what we are paying. (BTW, last year we stayed at an all-inclusive Riviera Maya resort for 10 days - that did serve gormet food for what this cruise is costing us). The fact that they are trying to "upsell" you to a decent dining experience on the ship is troubling also. The way everyone we know describes cruising is that you are getting the fancy eats but we are afraid they are talking about cruising of the past? I don't know.

Frankly, we are concerned. I am trying to remain optimistic.

We have never cruised before. Ever. We are about to take our first cruise on Nov 29 Western Carib. Allure.

Cruising never seemed like the thing for us....we don't drink a lot, we don't gamble, we are not "Vegas" type people. So, for all of our adult life we have never cruised.

We are however, foodies. Everyone who raves about cruises says the food is to die for. I'm worried that we will be severely disappointed in one of the few things attractive to us about cruising.

One time I saw a pic of the Allure at port. It has a Gordon Food Services truck pulled up to it. Gordon Food Services....you know the lowest food distributor that appeals to the "low cost buffet" restaurants. We don't care if it is gormet food, but we expect better than low cost buffet style for what we are paying. (BTW, last year we stayed at an all-inclusive Riviera Maya resort for 10 days - that did serve gormet food for what this cruise is costing us). The fact that they are trying to "upsell" you to a decent dining experience on the ship is troubling also. The way everyone we know describes cruising is that you are getting the fancy eats but we are afraid they are talking about cruising of the past? I don't know.

The windjammer probably won't be to your liking. But there are other places the park cafe, and another place that serves lunch in the solarium.

The main dining room will usually have something you would like.

Having been on the Allure twice, I think you won't be disappointed. The food at the Windjammer buffet is generally very good but not gourmet for the most part. The main dining room, however, is excellent for dinner including many gourmet items designed by excellent chefs. I had escargot on the second formal night last time, which I swore I'd never eat. There are members here who post the menus if you search for them. Try Johnny Rockets for breakfast one morning. It's free for breakfast and usually very good. Also, the Windjammer at dinner will have more upscale food if you decide to skip the MDR. I'm a picky eater and I had no complaints about the food.

Let's manage expectations a little here. Food for 6,000+ will almost never be to die for. There are some nice things and some terrible things. There is a lot of choice and you can try a lot of different things without fear because they are included in the costs. Paying extra opens up even more doors. I'd rarely call stuff gourmet. RCI is a mainstream line.

We're not foodies per se, and because we have only sailed Royal for the last 14 years, we have seen menus and food quality change (some in a good way, others not so much). The one standard that has remained consistent is the level of service. We have always experienced an excellent level of service. Of course, I can only compare it to all-inclusive resorts (where I must say, the food at those resorts is more on par with the specialty dining on Allure), I find the level of service on the ship to outshine an "off meal". We have never left a cruise hungry. We enjoy trying new things and old standards. I'm not a fish eater, but I'm not just a meat and potatoes kind of person either. I think you will be very happy with the different dining venues on Allure. We love the Park Cafe, wipeout cafe, room service, MDR breakfast, the hot dog counter on the boardwalk, the sandwiches in The Promenade Cafe. Our favorite specialty restaurant is Giovanni's table, I feel the only area the food is lacking is in pastries and dessert offerings.

I was also on the 2 night cruise.

I recommend Sabor, the Mexican restaurant on Allure. It is located on the Boardwalk. There is a charge, but it is easy on the wallet. I had outstanding dinner service there and walked in without a reservation. The food was very good and the portions were generous. Ask for Hernando as your server.

I agree with the other poster who said you need to manage your expectations. I see that you are not far from the Chicago metro area as am I and I will also be on the same cruise with you. If you are a foodie and have eaten at 16 or Topolobampo, then you will be disappointed if you compare those restaurants to Royal's food. As stated here, the MDR makes food for hundreds of people at night so don't expect top of the line gourmet food. It's good and there's a variety, but it is not on the same level as the top restaurants in the city.

That said, we enjoyed Chops on the Oasis along with Vintages and Solarium. We are looking forward to dining in Izumi, Chops, Sabor, etc. on the Allure. We only plan to eat in the MDR once, but that's our personal choice. Others love the MDR and never eat in a specialty restaurant. I would compare Chops to any of the fine steak houses in Chicago. When we ate at Chops in 2013, it was that good. Some have said the menu has changed so we'll see.

Go with an open mind and if you haven't joined the roll call for this cruise, please do so. We would enjoy meeting you at the meet and mingle.

Edited by kalliekae

"Every elderly senior citizen"? I guess you haven't met me or run into me. Please don't include me in your description as I'm far from what you describe. Here's a 411 for you . . . One day, if you are lucky, you'll be one of us.

Hear, hear!

Could you explain the check-in procedure and how it differed relative to past experiences? I'm curious about the other company that you mentioned handling this.

The process seemed less organized than in the past, with one humongous line for non-crown and anchor people and a smaller line for platinum level and higher crown and anchor members. The agent who assisted us was particularly slow, with long finger nails that hindered her ability to type with her two index fingers. LOL! I just remember the RCCL agents being a lot more efficient.

Speaking of dining, I was very disappointed to see that they've added a teppanyaki table room to Izumi AND increased the cover charge to (I think) $39 per person. That's just a ridiculous amount of money to pay for sushi, unless you're going to Nobu.

2. NEVER cruise from Port Everglades on a Friday! The outdoor parking lots were full and we were forced to park in the Midport garage. I'm assuming this is because many cruises leave on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays and the parking lots were filled on those days. There was only one shuttle bus running from the garage to Terminal 18, which made for long waits.

3. Once you reach the terminal, RCCL employees no longer handle the check-in as in the past. It's now handled by an outside company, and they are far less efficient and friendly.

4. We're not Gold card cruisers, not even Diamond or Diamond plus. Still, we'd like to feel that being a Crown and Anchor member meant more than a package of cookies and two bottles of water in our stateroom.

6. I had to chuckle during our last morning eating breakfast in the Windjammer. They play a recorded announcement every few minutes, a woman with a very pleasant British accent saying (in much nicer language than I'm using here): "We've had enough of you. Please eat and get the F off our ship." I realize what probably led to this "innovation:" hoardes of rude, entitled travelers who sit and eat far longer than necessary.

I was on this sailing. I had zero issues checking in and debarkation was a breeze. I found plenty of parking right next to the ship. Staff were friendly throughout. Something that helps, I typically like to talk to crew about their life and not mine. Such as the country they are from.... etc.

I agree the food in the "complementary" dining areas has gone down hill. One is basically forced to eat at the " additional charge" restaurants these days. I also found the Allure quite crowded compared to previous voyages.

Diamond lounge was completely mobbed. I talked to at least 2 people who were in the lounge and not diamond at all. They need to fix this.

All in all , fabulous ship, plenty of things to do and still a value for the dollar.

I was also on this cruise. I got there around 1/1:30 and had no issue getting on the ship. Literally no wait anywhere. Getting OFF was completely different. Got in line around 9:15 and the end was at the back of Silk. Took maybe 40+ minutes just to get dinged off the ship. By then, the end of the line wound back out of Silk. We weren't moving some of the time, so not certain if there was an issue.

I don't think chair saving is anything new. But, I went to every show and there were plenty of empty seats. Everyone talks about the comedy club being packed - lots of empty seats when I went.

I can't speak of the Windjammer. It's a two day cruise - I wasn't going to spend part of my time someplace I knew would be packed.

It had a great time (even though I was completely confused what time it was. Seriously, EVERY clock I saw when I landed in Florida had the wrong time. Including a clock at the airport, clock at my hotel and clock on the boat. It's fall back, people!!!)

Try the Chefs table and definitely 150 central park amazing meals for being onboard a cruise ship

I was on this cruise as well. I agree with OP, my least favorite cruise to date.

There were lines everywhere and not fun. Tried to go to Windjammer for lunch on Saturday morning and the line was wrapping around the corner. Never seen that before.

Hoof and Claw and pretty much every other bar was packed. Dinner felt rushed, like the waiters were trying to get you out as fast as possible. The food wasnt great and I actually like the dinning room food when I am on Enchantment.

Staff wasnt very friendly either. Felt maybe they didnt need to get to know you because you were gone in less than 48 hours.

Never got my 10% for glass of wine for C/A (dont care just saying).

This was my first time not staying in a suite in a very long time (booked last minute and there was no availability). I went to the desk to see if I could PAY for an upgrade. The lady said they were sold out (duh, I knew that) but that she would call me at 8 pm after they got the manifest to see if there were any suites left.

Well its not Monday November 9 and still no call...thanks lady.

It seems to me (and I am just speculating here), that they spent the summer in the Med. and they came back and ran a 2 day cruise as a "work out the kinks before the Caribbean shift". It was like a trial run or a "warm up".

They probably do this to make sure the suppliers and the new talent, new staff members get up to speed.

Just a guess.

It seems to me (and I am just speculating here), that they spent the summer in the Med. and they came back and ran a 2 day cruise as a "work out the kinks before the Caribbean shift". It was like a trial run or a "warm up".

They probably do this to make sure the suppliers and the new talent, new staff members get up to speed.

Just a guess.

Sounds about right, they were terrible.