a la carte changes already for escape?

LMaxwell

No, now that is silly when the contract says on the ship you booked. People need to read their contracts before they do business with any company that has one.

I don't see any of the changes leading NCL into any particular direction. I think they are trying a lot of things. I don't see them becoming a premium line, I see them upping their rank in the mainstream lines, like Princess, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, etc.

Things are not changing weekly. Have there been changes over the last 7 months, yes, but weekly, no.

If it is of a concern to those that live in parts of the world where representations are made in advertising are consider contractual, then they should file a lawsuit against NCL, just as I've said that those that are yelling "bait and switch" should go to an attorney.

Everyone who boards the ship has the right to purchase the for a fee items or not and those planning a cruise have the power to either spend their money with NCL or not. Seems pretty easy to me; one either lives with it or they don't.

I am an informed, discerning consumer - NCL are playing silly buggers at the moment. We have not, and will not book with them whilst they screw with the product as they are currently doing (so no need to go legal - which is usually a poor, expensive and unsatisfactory solution:rolleyes:).

They clearly want to ditch their long-time, loyal cruisers and replace them with bigger spending, 'less savvy' cruisers. So be it - Princess are currently enjoying our cruise pounds - NCL are not in the picture at the moment.

I am an informed, discerning consumer - NCL are playing silly buggers at the moment. We have not, and will not book with them whilst they screw with the product as they are currently doing (so no need to go legal - which is usually a poor, expensive and unsatisfactory solution:rolleyes:).

They clearly want to ditch their long-time, loyal cruisers and replace them with bigger spending, 'less savvy' cruisers. So be it - Princess are currently enjoying our cruise pounds - NCL are not in the picture at the moment.

What you are doing is what everyone that has an issue with any of the changes should do. I just suggested legal action, because you said that in some areas an advertisement is a contract, but I really think those that have such an issue, should really do it.

I don't see them wanting to ditch anyone. Are they positioning themselves for their passengers to spend more, of course, that is what any business wants to achieve. But the best thing is, you don't have to purchase one single thing on the cruise; one could actually leave a ship with a zero balance.

Hope you enjoy Princess, I did my second and third cruises ever on Princess, way back in the days of the dinosaurs, and even though I thought it was a nice line, I didn't feel that it was for me. I eventually found Crystal and then Celebrity and can recommend them both highly, even though both are having changes as well.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I think we should all wait to judge too harshly until we know for sure. All we know right now is hearsay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately almost every one of the other "rumors" on here have very quickly become reality. In fact, off the top of my head, I can't think of any that didn't.

I hope this is the first.

Funny, I believe you once admitted to me that you own NCL stock. The minimum to get the perks, you said. 100 shares I believe.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. Go back and look over all my posts, I've never said I owned any stock, just the opposite, but then you already know that.

I think we should all wait to judge too harshly until we know for sure. All we know right now is hearsay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cruise critic staffer posted they have heard of a possible charge coming. For a staff member representin the site it goes a bit beyond hearsay to a confirmed possibility.

They did back track on two unpopular items this year, that all the regulars shouted from the rooftops were great ideas at the time, so best to ignore the noise and adopt a very cautious wait and see attitude.

Mr. DEl Rio and Mr. Stuart have levers to pull.

But so do we all

To those who say it's the "final straw" if they switch from complimentary to ala cart pricing...bye.

With anything new, NCL deserves the right to test it out. If it is not business savvy of them to offer it for free, then they will add a charge. If the crowds on the normal 7-night sailings are still outrageous, they will add a charge.

Just like they removed the charge for the Noodle Bar on some ships...they reevaluated their strategy for certain venues.

Businesses are allowed to do this as much as they want and in fact, I think it would be unwise of them NOT to do it, if the circumstances are present.

I don't get why people have such knee-jerk reactions to things and give an ultimatum.

The problem with changing their minds is that it's not for "bookings made after a certain date". When I booked my cruise I did after being told BY Norwegian that they had free room service, margaritaville complimentary, A Microbrew, Ninja turles golf, Carlos bake shop and nickelodeon characters. Cheap add on restaurants where everything was included for one price. In the time I booked that all of that has either changed for the negative or is rumored to change. Are they going to give me some of my cruise money back to compensate me?

Call me crazy but it seems like bad business to advertise a vacation one way and then change it quite a bit before this. If it was one or even two changes it's reasonable, but they have changed a lot over the last few months, each time to cut costs. I'm glad you are willing to leave blind trust with these guys, but I would never trust a cruise I booked with them again after this experience.

Yes, you are wrong. Go back and look over all my posts, I've never said I owned any stock, just the opposite, but then you already know that.

I apologize. I was wrong. It was another poster and you had the post above. My photographic memory failed. That's what I get for not double checking. Egg on face.

The problem with changing their minds is that it's not for "bookings made after a certain date". When I booked my cruise I did after being told BY Norwegian that they had free room service, margaritaville complimentary, A Microbrew, Ninja turles golf, Carlos bake shop and nickelodeon characters. Cheap add on restaurants where everything was included for one price. In the time I booked that all of that has either changed for the negative or is rumored to change. Are they going to give me some of my cruise money back to compensate me?

Call me crazy but it seems like bad business to advertise a vacation one way and then change it quite a bit before this. If it was one or even two changes it's reasonable, but they have changed a lot over the last few months, each time to cut costs. I'm glad you are willing to leave blind trust with these guys, but I would never trust a cruise I booked with them again after this experience.

That's unfortunate, but it's the way the industry is headed. This is not only Norwegian. My two favorite cruise lines are Royal Caribbean and Norwegian and they both do the same thing.

While it may not be good or nice of them to make those changes, it is legally acceptable because of what the cruise contract states.

I'm not defending their decisions to make changes, only providing rationale as to why they do or can.

Obviously I am going to be upset too if they make the changes to Margaritaville, District Brew House, etc but it's not those venues aren't the reason I'm going on a cruise.

I think the problem, for all cruise lines, is when do they announce changes. Should they do it a year out, two years out? NCL made announcements about the itinerary changes a year out and there were still complaints. There is no real good time to make changes. No matter when they make them, someone is going to have an issue.

If I were you, I would write down a list of the items that you feel were promised to you, that are gone or increased in price, and put a dollar total to each one and send a letter to NCL asking for compensation. Even if they don't reply with compensation, at least you are getting your point across to them. I would also give them a solution as to when you feel they should be announcing any changes....I always believe if one has an issue, instead of just complaining, they should offer a solution...but this is just me.

I think the problem, for all cruise lines, is when do they announce changes. Should they do it a year out, two years out? NCL made announcements about the itinerary changes a year out and there were still complaints. There is no real good time to make changes. No matter when they make them, someone is going to have an issue.

If I were you, I would write down a list of the items that you feel were promised to you, that are gone or increased in price, and put a dollar total to each one and send a letter to NCL asking for compensation. Even if they don't reply with compensation, at least you are getting your point across to them. I would also give them a solution as to when you feel they should be announcing any changes....I always believe if one has an issue, instead of just complaining, they should offer a solution...but this is just me.

At a minimum you include anyone that can not cancel. It's very simple. Making these sweeping changes when people can't cancel is bad business. So with the suite policy what's that 120 days? That's not asking for to much. It's called common decency.

6&8

At a minimum you include anyone that can not cancel. It's very simple. Making these sweeping changes when people can't cancel is bad business. So with the suite policy what's that 120 days? That's not asking for to much. It's called common decency.

6&8

Well in this anti-consumer forum decency is not legally required. If you had read your contract......

6&8

And what about those with non-refundable air fare that they purchased in good faith, are they just out of luck?

What a bummer :(. Having never ate at Margaritaville, I was hoping to try it out. Would of been good buisness for them as if people try it on the ship and like it, then they have the potential to visit one of their locations on land.

Wow...you argue just to argue....i said AT A MINIMUM. You ask for someone to post a solution and then knock anything said...you must just like to hear yourself talk...

6&8

It is called a discussion and just pointing out that your solution doesn't work for everyone. Everyone seems to have an issue, but no one has given NCL a solution that will be agreeable to all their customers. And that is my point, there is really no good time that would satisfy everyone, so NCL should make the announcements on their own timeline, which could be a year, a week, a day or moment by moment and we either live with them or not. Edited by NLH Arizona

I got off the Escape yesterday - according to the staff at Margaritaville starting w/ the first 7 night cruise it will be a $4.95pp cover charge and all food included. The food was very good and service excellent.

I did not hear any rumblings of the other venues going back to fixed pricing. We ate at most of the specialities and none had any surcharges for any items if you were on a dining plan.

I'm sure it won't take long before the $4.95 cover charge increases to $7.95

A cruise critic staffer posted they have heard of a possible charge coming. For a staff member representin the site it goes a bit beyond hearsay to a confirmed possibility.

They did back track on two unpopular items this year, that all the regulars shouted from the rooftops were great ideas at the time, so best to ignore the noise and adopt a very cautious wait and see attitude.

Mr. DEl Rio and Mr. Stuart have levers to pull.

But so do we all

what is a confirmed possibility? I still say its hearsay, even from a Cruise Critic Staffer. Until I see it posted from a menu, or an official NCL source, I will consider it hearsay and am not going to exert energy being upset over something that hasn't even officially happened yet

Everyone seems to have an issue, but no one has given NCL a solution that will be agreeable to all their customers.

I don't work for NCL; I don't have to provide a solution for them to figure out a way for them to take away what has been advertised to me.

Here's my idea for a solution; provide what was advertised to me as an inducement to take my money. Is that such a far out, radical idea? To get what I have paid for? Some may not care, but even if they don't care, they still aren't getting what is advertised.

what is a confirmed possibility? I still say its hearsay, even from a Cruise Critic Staffer. Until I see it posted from a menu, or an official NCL source, I will consider it hearsay and am not going to exert energy being upset over something that hasn't even officially happened yet

Cruise Critic Staffers will only post news that comes directly from a source at the cruise line.

The difference between hearsay is hearing something second or third hand, and a confirmed possibility means that the reality is, and it is a fact, that the company is considering the charge and telling media representatives they are doing so. Obviously not a confirmed change, but proof that this isn't just third hand telephone my cousins sisters neighbors co-workers ex-girlfriend heard...

I don't work for NCL; I don't have to provide a solution for them to figure out a way for them to take away what has been advertised to me.

Here's my idea for a solution; provide what was advertised to me as an inducement to take my money. Is that such a far out, radical idea? To get what I have paid for? Some may not care, but even if they don't care, they still aren't getting what is advertised.

Hey, if folks don't think NCL is running their business correctly, I would think that they know how it should be run, so that it is agreeable to each and every one of NCL customers.

I wonder if they leaked it on purpose to see whether the uproar would be manageable or if it would turn into another "can't take food from buffet" nightmare.

If they can yank a complimentary food venue just before the inaugural Caribbean sailing you better hold onto your wallet; water slide fees, ropes course fees, entertainment fees, MDR dining plan fees will all come next. How crazy would those have sounded a year ago? How crazy do they sound today?

Cruise Critic Staffers will only post news that comes directly from a source at the cruise line.

The difference between hearsay is hearing something second or third hand, and a confirmed possibility means that the reality is, and it is a fact, that the company is considering the charge and telling media representatives they are doing so. Obviously not a confirmed change, but proof that this isn't just third hand telephone my cousins sisters neighbors co-workers ex-girlfriend heard...

oh ok, because i just googled it, and no where on the internet could I find the definition of a confirmed possibility.

2d06xt.png

Can you please substantiate your claim that a cruise critic staffer posted this news with a link please