What percentage of men wear DJ,s now-caribbean

lenbest

Just back from Caribbean on Arcadia and most men wore DJ on formal nights. We enjoy the dressing for dinner but with 6 formal in 24 nights there were too many. I agree with the poster that 2 in the first week and 1 per week after would be reasonable. My criticism is that apart from the first and last formal nights, P and O had not made any effort with the menu. It just felt like an opportunity to sell photos.

Edited by swaddy

Just back from Caribbean on Arcadia and most men wore DJ on formal nights. We enjoy the dressing for dinner but with 6 formal in 24 nights there were too many. I agree with the poster that 2 in the first week and 1 per week after would be reasonable. My criticism is that apart from the first and last formal nights, P and O had not made any effort with the menu. It just felt like an opportunity to sell photos.

Sounds about like our Caribbean transatlantic on Arcadia. By the end we felt "oh dear another formal" Yes I will go along with ,on longer cruises 2 the first week and 1 per week thereafter. Keeps them special...which with 6 out of 24 they end up not being.

I noticed about Celebrity. I subscribe to a blog and they were saying about the number of upmarket lines who do not do formal.

My answer to that is, on those line the emphasis in SMART casual, would be SMART.

On the main lines it would not take long for the emphasis in smart CASUAL to be CASUAL.

With Celebrity on the sort of dressier nights it even included Jeans in the description. Says it all

Quite like formal nights, I don't have to think about what to wear other than the bow tie.

Good point. :)

There used to be 4 Formal, 4 Jacket Required and 6 Smart Casual.

Now we have 4 Formal and 10 Smart Casual and some people want less Formal Nights. If P&O go along that direction they'll soon get to the point where we have Casual only and shorts allowed then it'll be the same as Thomson (and I'm not knocking Thomson here).

4 Formal nights is not a big deal and if the range of Dinner Suits you see nowadays in shops is anything to go by then I reckon Formal Dress is on the up.

We have done four Caribbean cruises on Azura and there is a very high pecentage of men who wear the traditional Evening Suit,either black or white

Jacket, yes some dark suits,

Mrs Blue Sky

Yes and you always look the part !!! hopefully P and O will resist the urge to follow Celeb and get rid of formal nights , i am glad however that the semi formal nights have gone.... there are still some who think torn clothing denim shorts and flip flops are "chic",,, whatever would her ladyship think !!!

We've got 7 formals and 28 evening casual on ur next cruise and we're happy with that. We do still look pretty smart in evening casual. Last time we did this same itinerary we had 12 formals, 11 jacket required and 12 evening casual. This was in the Caribbean and it was all too much.

My hubby always takes his dinner suit with him to the Caribbean and I would say a large proportion of other men do too

Probably because like ourselves the wife is the one doing the packing.

Trying my best to not let my husband see the latest from Celebrity .. he looks good in a regular suit but wearing a DJ adds something to a special formal evening on the ship.

Can see the days are numbered though... ebay will be inundated with DJs before long.

It will soon be like wearing fancy dress to see someone in a DJ. Cunard will be the last Cruise line standing no doubt.

I believe the number wearing dinner jackets is 88%, this is based on surveys which came to the conclusion that made up numbers are as accurate as any other.

If you are wondering how many surveys there were on this subject, it was 56.

Did that include ladies ?

Apparently 93% of statistics are made up on the spot.:)

Probably because like ourselves the wife is the one doing the packing.

Trying my best to not let my husband see the latest from Celebrity .. he looks good in a regular suit but wearing a DJ adds something to a special formal evening on the ship.

Can see the days are numbered though... ebay will be inundated with DJs before long.

It will soon be like wearing fancy dress to see someone in a DJ. Cunard will be the last Cruise line standing no doubt.

I hope not. Maybe this is a bit too optimistic but I actually I think the reverse is true. If you go into any shop : Debenhams, Next, Jeff Banks, M&S etc etc they all stock Dinner Suits and not just the choice of one black style. They can have two or three black ones to choose from as well as a white tuxedo and some have grey and blue. Its the modern trend and lots of men own them nowadays. I have 3 dinner suits and umpteen dress shirts and bow ties. I do go to quite few Dinner Dances. From a more practical point of view, on a cruise with 4 Formal Nights it is pretty easy for a man to choose his wardrobe.

I hope not. Maybe this is a bit too optimistic but I actually I think the reverse is true. If you go into any shop : Debenhams, Next, Jeff Banks, M&S etc etc they all stock Dinner Suits and not just the choice of one black style. They can have two or three black ones to choose from as well as a white tuxedo and some have grey and blue. Its the modern trend and lots of men own them nowadays. I have 3 dinner suits and umpteen dress shirts and bow ties. I do go to quite few Dinner Dances. From a more practical point of view, on a cruise with 4 Formal Nights it is pretty easy for a man to choose his wardrobe.

Like.

We are going on our first P&O cruise, on the Arcadia - 21 nights Chile to Sydney.

I was wondering if there will be many dressing up on formal night on these long cruises? Trying to decide if I should bring my tux/dj, with the restrictions on baggage etc we are trying to cut down on weight.

But putting a dinner jacket/suit in a washing machine :eek:

Oh yes, if you have a M&S washable one :) It looks really smart as well and washing has not resulted in any shrinkage or wrinkles.

On my Oceana xmas cruise i am taking my navy blue suit and suitable pink and blue shirts plus ties including a santa one :D. the trousers can be worn other evenings as well. however it is a nice wool suit so needs dry cleaning.

for my 28 nighter on Aurora I will be taking my dinner jacket etc. Partly because Aurora is a little more formal than Oceana but mainly because i can pop the trousers into the washing machine on rinse cycle to freshen them up ;)

Unfortunately i have to drag a lightweight jacket all the way to australia and back and the airline allowance is 20Kg :(

come on P&O, relax the jacket required code for us fly cruisers now, not next march.

Oh yes, if you have a M&S washable one :) It looks really smart as well and washing has not resulted in any shrinkage or wrinkles.

On my Oceana xmas cruise i am taking my navy blue suit and suitable pink and blue shirts plus ties including a santa one :D. the trousers can be worn other evenings as well. however it is a nice wool suit so needs dry cleaning.

for my 28 nighter on Aurora I will be taking my dinner jacket etc. Partly because Aurora is a little more formal than Oceana but mainly because i can pop the trousers into the washing machine on rinse cycle to freshen them up ;)

Unfortunately i have to drag a lightweight jacket all the way to australia and back and the airline allowance is 20Kg :(

come on P&O, relax the jacket required code for us fly cruisers now, not next march.

Point taken,thanks for the info. My other concern is what other personal garments have been in that machine before yours,and what has been on them :eek:

On all our cruises (7 so far), formal night was really well supported by men looking gorgeous in their DJs. Would be sorry to see it disappear. If we like getting dressed up to celebrate a lovely holiday, why change it. If people don't want to join in, that is fine they will still enjoy a meal in another part of the ship. Everyone wins.