Changes

jbtyler927

You forgot about a lot of things!!!

1 no more free cirque dreams or illusionarium on first night with udp

2 no more 50% discount for kids dining on specialty restaurants using specialty menu

3 no more fireworks (on megaships only)

4 no more discount for latitudes members for photo packages

5 no more behind the scenes tour for platinum it has been discontinued since last month until further advice

6 no more nickelodeon and no ninga turtle golf on escape as advertised

7 cutback on port times on almost all destinations

8 no more chocoholic buffet on any ship

I am sure there are others that i forgot about

Nice - Jane & your post should be merged / kept together, a sticky as FAQ for future reference, before it "disappear" from "friendly" fires.

No more BOGO or Early Bird specials for specialty dinner (comp'd bottle of wine ??)

No more free drawings for variety of giveaways at Latitude party onboard (long, long time ago ... cruise for 2 for 7 nights was the top prize, we won a Del So frisbee only - LOL)

Higher prices for most shore excurisons (as reported by others)

Higher prices on per-minute satellite internet on ships (package plans ??) - 95 cents on the Escape (as reported by others) ... wasn't it 0.75

Plus, a small one (and not for everyone) the downsized Godiva boxed chocolate, last one was 4 pc. count, was 8 previously (for Platinum member only, 1 per cabin)

Use it - the Ignore list - easy to skip reading & not respond to nonsense, there is a difference on an open forum, on agreeing to disagree.

What you are reading is a lot of complainers. There is even a post above about "rumors" vs facts. The fact is that you booked in January and you are locked into to the promotions at that time. Other than the increased DSC (if you did not lock in your rate when you were given the option to), other "changes" do not affect your booking. Don't "trust" everything you are reading.

Although promos depend on when booked so some promo changes might not affect, some other changes DO affect:

the room service charge affects everyone, regardless of when they booked.

Platinum dinner perk change to 1-1-1 affects all Platinum diners, regardless of when they booked.

Edited by NMLady

Thanks! Sorry for the additional question... although I have cruised with NCL 2 other times, this is our first time taking advantage of the UBP since it was included with our booking. Are you saying that every "free" drink we order will be charged an 18% gratuity on the would be cost?

No. What Moby0215 said is correct. The change isn't retroactive.

When you booked the gratuity was included in the UBP promo.

In addition if you prepay your DSC you won't have to pay the increased rate

If you want room service, it's $7.95.

Do you know if it is $7.95 flat or for each item? I have always been surprised there is not a fee (I seem to recall my last NCL cruise there was a slight cost after midnight) so I do not mind paying if I can order whatever I want for $7.95. TIA

Or if UBP was chosen as a promo the $896 part is free and you only pay the 18% which equals $161.

There are no "extra" 18% charges. Just what is listed above. I can't make it any simpler than that.

OK, this is exactly what I was asking for clarification on... we chose the UBP as our promo. I do not recall paying the $161 (does not mean I did not, just that I do not remember). My question is, will the $161 be on my room charges or have I already taken care of that when I paid the final payment? TIA:)

Do you know if it is $7.95 flat or for each item? I have always been surprised there is not a fee (I seem to recall my last NCL cruise there was a slight cost after midnight) so I do not mind paying if I can order whatever I want for $7.95. TIA

Yes it's a flat fee. Other than the continental breakfast which has no charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, this is exactly what I was asking for clarification on... we chose the UBP as our promo. I do not recall paying the $161 (does not mean I did not, just that I do not remember). My question is, will the $161 be on my room charges or have I already taken care of that when I paid the final payment? TIA:)

Depending on how long ago you booked you either already paid the $161 or it was included. You should be able to tell by looking at your confirmation. Either way nothing will be charged to your room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will admit that I have not been keeping up with all of the changes NCL has implimented this year as I booked our upcoming (Thanksgiving) cruise on the Escape in Jan/Feb and have not looked back. As our cruise nears and I am getting excited to see the newest NCL masterpiece, I logged on to trusty CC to see what the first passangers had to say and to be honest I kinda wish I didn't (sometimes ignorance is bliss)! :rolleyes: All I see is threads on CHANGES, CHANGES, AND more CHANGES!!! Can someone be kind enough to list the most signifigant (cruise altering) changes they have seen this year? TIA!!! :)

PS... I have seen the rumor regarding Margaritaville and I am not thrilled about it as it was a much hyped "free" option!

If I were sailing on the Escape I too would be pretty bummed about the Margarita situation. Other than that, most of the changes really are not earth shaking or shouldn't be. Changes do happen, especially when we book almost a year in advance.

Here are the changes that I think affect the most people: of course the increase in DSC, but that is just what happens in any business.

The service charge for room service. We do not use room service, I can't understand why anyone would except maybe for a late afternoon snack or if someone is ill. But I know a lot of people do and they have a right to be a bit upset.

Extra charge for a few items in the MDR: well, no one has to order steak, prime rib or Loster and NCL isn't the first to add the charge. I think people who are griping are just looking for the negative.

Specialty dining rooms going a la carte: that can be a bummer for some, but I doubt it has to be an extra cost if we use common sense.

There is a positive side to all this: the Asian restaurants are now free. For those who like Chinese food it is a plus.

There have been other changes, but as I said, businesses do change policies from time to time. There is no way this should affect what kind of an experience one has.

If I were sailing on the Escape I too would be pretty bummed about the Margarita situation. Other than that, most of the changes really are not earth shaking or shouldn't be. Changes do happen, especially when we book almost a year in advance.

Here are the changes that I think affect the most people: of course the increase in DSC, but that is just what happens in any business.

The service charge for room service. We do not use room service, I can't understand why anyone would except maybe for a late afternoon snack or if someone is ill. But I know a lot of people do and they have a right to be a bit upset.

Extra charge for a few items in the MDR: well, no one has to order steak, prime rib or Loster and NCL isn't the first to add the charge. I think people who are griping are just looking for the negative.

Specialty dining rooms going a la carte: that can be a bummer for some, but I doubt it has to be an extra cost if we use common sense.

There is a positive side to all this: the Asian restaurants are now free. For those who like Chinese food it is a plus.

There have been other changes, but as I said, businesses do change policies from time to time. There is no way this should affect what kind of an experience one has.

All those changes have already been mentioned. You posted just to apologize for them. Why? Do you get paid to do this?

Since this is a thread about changes, I thought I would bring one serious one to the forefront that SuiteCruiser posted in a now deleted thread.

Mr. Del Rio has instituted "real" random alcohol testing for their crew. She wrote that 12 crew members were let go for failing the test. Apparently, under Mr. Sheehan's watch, the crew knew (according to SuiteCruiser) that the "random" testing was done in the morning....not what I would call random...and did their drinking accordingly, but Mr. Del Rio, caring about our safety, instituted true random testing, not just in the morning. Thank you Mr. Del Rio and thank you SuiteCruiser for bringing this fantastic safety change to our attention.

Nlh arizona this has been already been discussed on other thread and this has nothing to do with safety..all the officers handling the ship are never allowed to drink...only crew can drink up to 0.05 at this time insteas of former .08 thats not even a beer

Nlh arizona this has been already been discussed on other thread and this has nothing to do with safety..all the officers handling the ship are never allowed to drink...only crew can drink up to 0.05 at this time insteas of former .08 thats not even a beer
Never said it had anything to do with the Officers. Crew members have responsibilities in case of an emergency, just as the all officers do. 1 beer per hour is not .05 for any man between the weight of 100 pounds and 240 pounds, the range for that one beer is .02 to .04. Know your facts.

Never said it had anything to do with the Officers. Crew members have responsibilities in case of an emergency, just as the all officers do. 1 beer per hour is not .05 for any man between the weight of 100 pounds and 240 pounds, the range for that one beer is .02 to .04. Know your facts.

Why bring what was discussed on another thread over here. Unnecessary

Why bring what was discussed on another thread over here. Unnecessary
Because it was brought up as a Mr. Del Rio change and that thread (Suite Cruiser thought it was important enough to bring to light) is gone and this thread is about changes.

Haven't had any discussions with you recently, hope all is well with you.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Since this is a thread about changes, I thought I would bring one serious one to the forefront that SuiteCruiser posted in a now deleted thread.

Mr. Del Rio has instituted "real" random alcohol testing for their crew. She wrote that 12 crew members were let go for failing the test. Apparently, under Mr. Sheehan's watch, the crew knew (according to SuiteCruiser) that the "random" testing was done in the morning....not what I would call random...and did their drinking accordingly, but Mr. Del Rio, caring about our safety, instituted true random testing, not just in the morning. Thank you Mr. Del Rio and thank you SuiteCruiser for bringing this fantastic safety change to our attention.

Nice twist, yet again :)

The ex-Engineer from NCL (PKCheng?-my apologies on the name) said it was morning tests. I asked for clarification. I said "Apparently they were morning tests? That would have meant they were way over?"

Morning tests make no sense whatsoever. The only person I know personally who was tested, was tested 20 minutes after leaving the crew bar.

Edited by SuiteCruiser

Right, and all of the women crew members are huge? Check a dozen schedules, and you get a dozen answers.

The people that I know are not willing to take the chance, but it is impacting their life onboard.

Right, and all of the women crew members are huge? Check a dozen schedules, and you get a dozen answers.

The people that I know are not willing to take the chance, but it is impacting their life onboard.

Only women with 1 drink in an hour that would have a blood alcohol of .05 are those weighing 90 to 100 pounds.

It is their choice, they know their bodies better than anyone does. And as I've said, this is between the crew and their employee. If the crew has an issue with it, they should be addressing this to their supervisors, not passengers.

Edited by NLH Arizona