Thinking Reflection? If over 50, think carefully

PSCruiser

We are on the Reflection Nov. 28th and Dec 5th sailing. I am going to live blog from the ship and I'll be sure to take a quick video, so you can hear the music, every night at the martini bar (I'll keep it very short). There is also an app that allows you to measure decibels. I'll have some fun and will measure the music and what I believe to be the loudest point every night at the Martini Bar or in the atrium. I'll report back. Lets see what the results are.

Happy Sailing!

We are on the December 12th sailing and we cannot wait! The last three months have been trying so we are looking forward to drowning out the noise of our daily lives -- even if it's with loud music. Looking forward to your review. We are in Europe the week before so we will be on a B2B vacation of a different kind!

I'll be doing the decibel testing thing and maybe making some voice/audio recordings to post to soundcloud on the Eclipse in December.

Please note that this is because I am an info junkie, not because I am looking for complaint ammunition. I'm pretty confident I won't be able to hear the bass in my stateroom late at night, which is the only thing that would make me whine ... And that is why I bring white noise and earplugs.

Since I am on the Reflection right now, let me take a bit of time to add to my previous comments. I agree with Chcagopaul. Enjoy the cruise. The Reflection is beautiful, the staff is great. Food in Luminae has been excellent. The Top Chef events so far have been great fun and Alexander does an excellent job as the emcee of each event.

The Martini Bar is full every night so people seem to enjoy it. That said, I have also heard some passengers say that because the dj is set up in the Martini Bar, the music makes the the bar and other open areas in the atrium more conversationally challenged. When the Solstice Class ships were designed they had Quasar as the "club." Quasar is gone now and Celebrity iseems to be making some changes trying to use the current venues to create that atmosphere on a wider scale.

My earlier comment was specific to music while eating, especially at the Lawn Club. It seems that the Lawn Club gets whatever music is on the general speakers so don't be surprised if you get a jolt from some heavy rock followed by smooth jazz. Not a big deal but noticeable there.

We just came off the Reflection Nov 7 W. Caribbean cruise. I also agree with ChicagoPaul. The Reflection has top notch service and food all around. The upkeep of the ship and cleanliness was outstanding. The cruise had some party events in certain parts of the ship organized by the CD Andrew who was very good in our opinion. We witnessed both young and old(er) dancing and having a great time. We never heard much if any noise in other parts of the ship during these events. Our cabin was a Sky Suite on deck 12 just off the central atrium area and we did not notice much noise at all in the cabin. We frequented the Martini Bar every night about 6 PM and it got less crowded immediately after the 1st seating dinner. There was a DJ there and on one occasion a guest asked him to turn his audio down a bit which he did immediately. We felt that the noise in the Martini Bar area was more due to some guests talking very loudly perhaps after too many martinis. There are lots of nice bars on Reflection so guests have a choice of venue, music and noise level, whatever they want. Just go to what makes you happy and have a great time!

We have been catching-up on the this thread with some interest (we will again be on the Eclipse in a few weeks). I guess we could be politically correct and say we agree with all the posts :). Even DW and I have a basic disagreement about music. Although we are seniors, I am a major music lover and can enjoy anything from some rap to opera...as long as its well done and at a volume that allows me to think and listen rather then put ear plugs in my ears. Celebrity sometimes (but not always) seems to have taken on the attitude that blasting loud music (of any quality) is a good thing. While it might be OK in one venue, it is not OK when this happens in an open atrium which impacts on many other passenger areas.

We would also mention (we hope Celebrity is reading) that the new normal are personal listening devices..using headphones, earbuds, etc. The days of the Boombox are long past (except in some ghettos). If I cannot sit on deck and listen to my personal music (through decent earbuds) at least a few hours a day, then others will also have the same problem. As to the Martini Bar (or previously the Molecular Bar) we have often avoided that area (and did not buy drinks) because of blasting music. At times we have simply returned to our cabin (where we do not spend money on drinks) to sit on our balcony and quietly enjoy our own music. At other times we choose to hang-out at the Ensemble Lounge where there is sometimes a decent jazz group, guitar players, etc. But even this subdued area can quickly be ruined if there is a too loud music group playing in the venue.

So we continue to share the view of many others that Celebrity needs to also consider the passengers who prefer places where its possible to have a conversation without screaming.

Hank

We've done about 15 cruises, on various lines.

Before the cruise, we might wonder out loud what the food will be like, will we 'bond' with our waiters ? will our stateroom have noisy neighbours, things that would affect our enjoyment of the cruise on a day to day basis.

Have to say that wondering in advance who the CD will be or how he/she will perform has never even crossed our minds.

No matter how good or bad the CD is perceived to be, it will not impact on our enjoyment one bit.

Alexander has been a CD for several years now, and I doubt be would get as prestigious a gig on the Company flagship if he had not proved his capabilities over the years. If there were issues serious enough to consider he would not be there.

Being a CD must be a nightmare . Trying to please 3000 people all at once.

Which is just plain impossible. I couldnt do it and I doubt there is anyone on the planet who could.

========

Why does ALEXANDER's name keep coming up on the forums as a problem CD ..... if that is not the case ? A bigger question, why hasn't Celebrity dealt with it? By this time his name must have come up to the front office !

========

Why does ALEXANDER's name keep coming up on the forums as a problem CD ..... if that is not the case ? A bigger question, why hasn't Celebrity dealt with it? By this time his name must have come up to the front office !

A good question, but a better question might be, is Alexander is the face of the "new direction" Celebrity? Thumping Eurotrash music all the time, while dressed in evening chic, that's what I'm worried about. If this is the future of X, let me know, I have cruises to change.

A good question, but a better question might be, is Alexander is the face of the "new direction" Celebrity? Thumping Eurotrash music all the time, while dressed in evening chic, that's what I'm worried about. If this is the future of X, let me know, I have cruises to change.

I sure hope this is not the trend. We have been cruising for better than 50 years and if this is going to be what they call music and at ear shattering levels, we will seriously begin to shop around.

I have no problem recognizing that each generation moves along to something new and exciting for them, but this should not be at the expense of the older folks.

Give them what they want but also give us a little of what we want.

I sure hope this is not the trend. We have been cruising for better than 50 years and if this is going to be what they call music and at ear shattering levels, we will seriously begin to shop around.

I have no problem recognizing that each generation moves along to something new and exciting for them, but this should not be at the expense of the older folks.

++++++++

I agree ! I'm on the reflection in December ... we will see !

Actually, the DJ in the Martini Bar played a mix that was much better than the old electronic jumble that used to come through the ceiling speakers. He just needed to tone it down a little so it did not take over the whole atrium.

Noise issues seem to come up on all the Cruise lines I have seen, such as how loud the outdoor movies are on Princess, etc. , one persons music is another's loud noise I think. Perfect example is all those folks who loved or really hated Perry Grant.

We found the Ensemble Lounge a much better venue to carry on a conversation most nights, and the area around the Passport Bar seemed to be fine most of the time and there was more ballroom / dance type music there many nights.

I actually found Alexander to be a pretty nice guy when I spoke with him and handled our Meet and Greet on the TA very well. Not sure how much say he has in setting the format of the ship's entertainment. Bet it is handled by Corporate more than him. As for his staff not doing much other than pool games, guess you never walked past the new Future Cruise Desk area in the aft on deck four very often as they were having events there regularly during the day.

For those that want to take their business elsewhere, good luck finding the perfect line elsewhere. I doubt the line will even know you are gone since the Ships keep filling up well into the future.

We were on the Reflection 15 months ago when Andrew was the CD and disliked the music (other than the house band) played by the DJ and the God-awful drums. We recently did a Reflection where Richard Spacey was CD and a totally different vibe and music around the ship was fantastic. Now, not sure if that is based on itinerary or CD but it was far superior with Richard as CD.

There are many reasons why DW and I have cruised on 14 different lines over the years. But one major reason is that as cruise lines change we adapt to the, then, current situation in the industry. Yes, there are many one-line Cheerleaders who will always support their favorite line, but there are also many cruises (like moi) who will not hesitate to book a different line, change bookings, etc. But we have yet to run into any major problem that would drive us away from X.... But recent cut-backs in multiple areas and the trend towards blasting music throughout the ships could quickly drive us to some other lines. We might be reaching the time when we will have to expand the budget and spend more time on lines like Crystal. Trust me that you will never get loud music blasting inside or out on Crystal.

Hank

We were on the Reflection 15 months ago when Andrew was the CD and disliked the music (other than the house band) played by the DJ and the God-awful drums. We recently did a Reflection where Richard Spacey was CD and a totally different vibe and music around the ship was fantastic. Now, not sure if that is based on itinerary or CD but it was far superior with Richard as CD.

Exactly.

Its been a long thread since my original post, but one of my major points was that I was doing a B2B, and had a great time on the first cruise, with Richard Spacey. My complaints did not originate until the 2nd cruise, with the obvious difference being the change in cruise director.

I've read with interest on this thread that many cruisers have been perfectly happy with the Reflection and Alexander. On most cruises I would feel the same way. Its not until a situation arises where you, as a cruiser, feel that something is unsatisfactory. Its is then that you find out if the cruise director will do his best to remedy (which might be impossible), or just finds it easier to blow you off. And that, exactly,is the quality I call cocky arrogance, and as the customer don't need to tolerate.

Welcome back Mafig! Hope you enjoyed your cruise & are planning your next one!

We sail in 3 weeks & enjoy dancing on our cruises. Do we have a chance with LAX & their music??

There was always dancing by the Passport Bar in the Atrium on deck three in the evening.

Welcome back Mafig! Hope you enjoyed your cruise & are planning your next one!

We sail in 3 weeks & enjoy dancing on our cruises. Do we have a chance with LAX & their music??

Lots of people of all ages dancing. Have fun!

Also off Reflection yesterday. We didn't think the music was mostly too loud (and the current DJ is a vast improvement to the DJ/drum combo encountered in January '14), nor too clubby - lots of radio hits, some oldies. The band was good - energetic but with not the world's largest repertoire.

We were a tad disappointed that it wasn't more varied - LAX and the DJ are all pop/rock/dance, and other than that there was a wan sort of alt/folk vocalist mostly in the Ensemble lounge and another pop trio/vocalist. Would have been nice to have a jazz/cabaret singer, especially as Ensemble so lends itself to that.

Ambient music was mostly the right volume (for us), although again by day seven one tended to predict what was up next. Did notice a few Christmas tunes creeping in toward the end.

As for Alexander, he's plasticky but not dreadful - and much less annoying than he was in '14.

One entertainment innovation we liked a lot was the idea of the floating nightclub, which moved from the lobby one night to poolside,to the solarium, to the Sunset bar, etc., each with a different theme. Good fun, and varies the routine a little.

Yeah, they should cater to the crowd that's there, not the crowd they want. RCCL often has Disco 70s parties...not R&R 70s parties. R&R lives, disco has been dead for some time.

Ron