Freedom of the Seas - WiFi

SamCharl

I suspect this upgrade doesn't fix where you can and can't get a connection, but once you are on it will be faster. Is there any technical information on what they actually change to move a ship to Voom?...

I've not seen anything technical on this, but I would love to know. It's got to be an order of magnitude more difficult for the ship's satellite antenna to track the fast moving low-earth orbit O3b sats, than the geosync sats they are tracking now.

Do I have to get internet access for the entire cruise or can I order it for part of the cruise?

You can purchase on a day by day basis. The smallest amount of time they sell now is a period of 24-hour unlimited access. This will have a higher daily rate than if you had purchased for the entire cruise.

Hi. We're going on Freedom of the Seas next week. I'm just trying to get this clear in my mind... If you have wifi, is there any reason to buy their internet package? Thanks.

When you are on the ship, the terms WiFi and internet become interchangeable.

In other words, if you want to use WiFi on your device while at sea, you must purchase an internet package.

Hi. Educate me. We're going on Freedom of the Seas next week. I'm just trying to get this clear in my mind... If you have wifi, is there any reason to buy their internet package? Thanks.

You don't have wifi unless you have an internet connection. You dont have an internet connection unless you pay for it

I suspect this upgrade doesn't fix where you can and can't get a connection, but once you are on it will be faster. Is there any technical information on what they actually change to move a ship to Voom?

As a network/computer guy, the description sounds to me like all they are doing is changing the "back end". That is, they are connecting the existing infrastructure to a faster internet connection.

If they were replacing the access points throughout the ship, it probably wouldn't be happening so fast as it means additional crew on board looking after the installs.

One of the things we really liked on Brilliance in December was that there was an access point in our stateroom.:)

• 1 month later...

Just wondering if there is any way to confirm when this will be done- looks like about a month since anyone has posted.

we're on in mid-April and really hope it's VOOM by then.

does anyone know what the pricing is when it's VOOM vs regular?

thanks!