Minibar/fridge cleanout?

mickeychicky

We are traveling Norwegian Star next month. Does anyone know if the cabin steward/attendant will clean out the mini bar in our cabin? We want to use it to keep our water cold.

I would probably take an inventory PRIOR to having it cleaned out just in case they do actually clean it out for us and "accidentally" charge us for everything that was in there because they forgot that they cleaned it out to begin with.

Anyone ever have an issue with this?

Thanks.

We are traveling Norwegian Star next month. Does anyone know if the cabin steward/attendant will clean out the mini bar in our cabin? We want to use it to keep our water cold.

I would probably take an inventory PRIOR to having it cleaned out just in case they do actually clean it out for us and "accidentally" charge us for everything that was in there because they forgot that they cleaned it out to begin with.

Thanks.

yes you can ask your steward to take it ... I think they are pretty honest about what they clean out but if your worried take a picture of what they take out

yes you can ask your steward to take it ... I think they are pretty honest about what they clean out but if your worried take a picture of what they take out

Having a picture of the fridge after the passenger has already came in to the cabin does not prove anything - if something is originally missing, they could also have already taken it before taking the picture, so there really is no point of doing so. If there are problems, the guest services usually fix erroneous charges quickly.

We have never had a problem asking for the minibar to be emptied, we always try to remember to ask that when we first meet our cabin steward.

Thanks.

Yes, they will gladly empty the fridge at your request.

Make sure to instruct them to remove the contents from the room. Some stewards like to empty the fridge and they'll try to put the items in your closet or under the bed so that it is easier for them to restock at the end of the week. The issue with this is that there is nothing to prevent you from taking items from their "hiding" place...and nothing to prevent the steward from charging you for missing items. You are not responsible for anything once the items are removed from your room.

I will have to disagree with the others as far as doing an inventory or taking a photo of the contents. All this would do is confirm what was in the fridge at the time. It doesn't prove that items didn't go missing after the picture or inventory was taken. Complete removal from the room is the best way to insure that there are no issues.

Yes, they will gladly empty the fridge at your request.

Make sure to instruct them to remove the contents from the room. Some stewards like to empty the fridge and they'll try to put the items in your closet or under the bed so that it is easier for them to restock at the end of the week. The issue with this is that there is nothing to prevent you from taking items from their "hiding" place...and nothing to prevent the steward from charging you for missing items. You are not responsible for anything once the items are removed from your room.

We've never asked our cabin attendant to remove the items from the cabin, just from the mini-bar. I think it's overkill to do more, and your suggestion, as you note, makes it harder for them to do an already hard job -- get the cabins turned over on turnaround day. If you think your attendant is dishonest and is going to rip you off over a candy bar or can of soda, you have a larger concern.

We've never had a problem here, on any cruise line. (We just got off an 8-day TA on RCI, and when we pulled our luggage out from under the bed on the last day to pack, the mini-bar contents were under there in a plastic bag.)

For 15 times now, I've empty the mini bar myself, just putting the items in a drawer, and then telling the room steward that's where they are. On the last night (except in Texas) I tell him/her that nothing has been used and would they wait until morning to restock it so we can keep my wife's Pepsis cold until then. No sweat, no problem, never an issue. Too much worry or assumptions sometime I think. But whatever keeps each person comfortable.

We've never asked our cabin attendant to remove the items from the cabin, just from the mini-bar. I think it's overkill to do more, and your suggestion, as you note, makes it harder for them to do an already hard job -- get the cabins turned over on turnaround day. If you think your attendant is dishonest and is going to rip you off over a candy bar or can of soda, you have a larger concern.

We've never had a problem here, on any cruise line. (We just got off an 8-day TA on RCI, and when we pulled our luggage out from under the bed on the last day to pack, the mini-bar contents were under there in a plastic bag.)

I'd have to disagree with the logic behind your argument. Just because you haven't had an issue, doesn't mean that others haven't or that the OP might on their cruise.

You are ALWAYS safe once the items are removed from the room. As long as they are in the room you are still responsible for anything that it missing...and it doesn't take a dishonest room steward, simply a mistake in the inventory could result in a charge on your account...People make mistakes all the time.

FWIW...If you are so concerned that removing the items from the rooms is making it "harder for them to do an already hard job", then why not really be nice and just remove the items from the fridge yourself? You could just stick them in your empty suitcase for the week and then restock the fridge before you pack...and your room steward won't have to do anything. No sense in asking the room steward to do something that you could easily do yourself.

For 15 times now, I've empty the mini bar myself, just putting the items in a drawer, and then telling the room steward that's where they are. On the last night (except in Texas) I tell him/her that nothing has been used and would they wait until morning to restock it so we can keep my wife's Pepsis cold until then. No sweat, no problem, never an issue. Too much worry or assumptions sometime I think. But whatever keeps each person comfortable.

This is what we've done, essentially. Remove it ourselves and put it back ourselves. Only takes a couple minutes.

This is what we've done, essentially. Remove it ourselves and put it back ourselves. Only takes a couple minutes.

This is what we do, also. Everything fits on the top shelf around the vanity or the top shelf of the closet. We've never actually even told the steward. We just empty it and then restock it when we leave. We've never had a single problem.

I have a question kind of related to this.

Has anyone ever tried the beer in the minibar? With everyone taking the bottles in and out of the fridge, I'm assuming the beer is probably pretty skunkie. (i.e. tastes nasty)

I know the stuff is overpriced, but when I'm on vacation sometimes I just don't care. But I'll probably avoid the minibar on this cruise.

I have a question kind of related to this.

Has anyone ever tried the beer in the minibar? With everyone taking the bottles in and out of the fridge, I'm assuming the beer is probably pretty skunkie. (i.e. tastes nasty)

I know the stuff is overpriced, but when I'm on vacation sometimes I just don't care. But I'll probably avoid the minibar on this cruise.

I've often wondered about that. I don't think any of the items would have a very fresh taste, being in and out of the fridge like it is frequently.

You are ALWAYS safe once the items are removed from the room. As long as they are in the room you are still responsible for anything that it missing...and it doesn't take a dishonest room steward, simply a mistake in the inventory could result in a charge on your account...People make mistakes all the time.

Not to dispute, but asking out of curiosity, how exactly does the location where the minibar contents are stored affect the probability of something going missing? Have you had a problem with something going missing when stored in your room and how do you suppose that occurred?

Not to dispute, but asking out of curiosity, how exactly does the location where the minibar contents are stored affect the probability of something going missing? Have you had a problem with something going missing when stored in your room and how do you suppose that occurred?

It isn't about the probability of something going missing. In fact, its probable that something will NOT go missing. Its really about the preventing an erroneous billing due to a misunderstanding or mistake. Remember, you are responsible for the contents of the mini bar while they are in your room. You are NOT responsible for them if they are out of your room. Removing them from the room eliminates any scenario where I can held financially responsible for the mini-bar contents.

Lets say the steward takes 15 mini-bottles out of your fridge and puts them under the bed for the week. If the steward miscounts and writes down 16, you will end up getting charged for the missing bottle...just a simple mistake. If there are only 13 bottles under the bed at the end of the week, you will be charged for the missing bottles...which could easily happen if one of the bottles rolls away from the others and isn't seen. You could be charged for a missing bottle that is actually still under the bed!

OTOH...If you remove then entire mini-bar contents from the room, then there is simply NO WAY for you to be charged as the items would no longer be within your access or control.

Its easier to have the items stored outside of the room than it will be for you to be on the phone with someone from Miami trying to convince them that you didn't open one of the bottles that the room steward left under the bed.

Its easier to have the items stored outside of the room than it will be for you to be on the phone with someone from Miami trying to convince them that you didn't open one of the bottles that the room steward left under the bed.

Have you had them stored loosely under the bed before?

I've never seen anything under the bed (other than a prior occupant's sunglasses once cruise) when I've checked to ensure we weren't leaving anything, and I've never specially requested anything about where the fridge contents were to go. (and nowhere else for the stuff unless the steward found a ladder so he put it behind the life vests atop the closet)

Edited by gpb11

We always ask for items to be removed from the mini fridge and the room steward always asked if he/she could store it on the top closet shelf if we did not plan to use it. We have always answered, "yes, it is fine we trust you to make the right decision". Never an issue after all of these years.

Have you had them stored loosely under the bed before?

I've never seen anything under the bed (other than a prior occupant's sunglasses once cruise) when I've checked to ensure we weren't leaving anything, and I've never specially requested anything about where the fridge contents were to go. (and nowhere else for the stuff unless the steward found a ladder so he put it behind the life vests atop the closet)

No...as I noted, I always ensure that the items are completely removed from the room. However, I have had stewards try to place them on a closet shelf, in a drawer, and under the bed before I had to ask them to remove the items.

Usually, they are put into a pillow case or plastic bag before being placed under the bed, so they are not "loose". However, those bottles can easily fall out of the pillow case or bag without being noticed. Stuff happens (ask the person who lost the sunglasses you found).

We always ask for items to be removed from the mini fridge and the room steward always asked if he/she could store it on the top closet shelf if we did not plan to use it. We have always answered, "yes, it is fine we trust you to make the right decision". Never an issue after all of these years.

Glad to hear that a mistake has never happened with your items in the room. Hopefully, there will never be a mistake made in the future. I know that if the items aren't in the room that there is no way I can be charged. Can you say the same thing? Next time, ask the steward if you will be responsible if any of the bottles go missing during the week. Unless he answers "no", a mistake could happen and a problem could ensue.

I simply think its better to completely avoid the possibility of an issue. If you feel you are comfortable with the possibility, you are more than welcome to have the items in the room with you. You won't be the first person on this board to say that they were charged for mini-bar items after leaving the ship even though you never took anything from it.

I have NEVER seen a case where a person was charged for items that were not in the room.

There is always the possibility of being charged by mistake for something you did not consume. This risk is reduced by making the steward take everything out of the room, but not eliminated (someone writes down the wrong room number, someone mixes things up when entering the data into the computer, there was already something missing from the minibar from the start and no one noticed, etc.)

The risk is already very low, and the consequences if you are unlucky and find a mistaken charge are also quite… inconsequential (you call NCL, they refund you). I am not talking about people who have kids in the room, or who can't trust themselves with drinks/snacks in the room, or for whom being charged by mistake would be a really huge deal — for these people there is a great benefit to having the items removed completely from the cabin. For most people, the benefit is tiny, and not worthwhile compared to the extra effort that the request requires of the room steward (assuming that you are concerned about that). I don't just mean the physical act of carrying the stuff around the ship. Once they take it out of your room, I don't know if they can just stash it somewhere and forget about it, or if they have to worry about theft, or if NCL doesn't allow them to hold on to it and they have to check everything back in, who knows? I don't necessarily think it is a huge hassle for them, but it is obvious that it is an extra hassle compared to letting them leave the stuff somewhere in your room. And not worth the minimal benefit to me.

I don't post much on here, but I was reading this I felt I should share my experience.

I like NCL, and am cruising them again, however do beware of being charged for mini fridge items you have not used.

I have been on NCL 4 times now and 3 out of those 4 times I have been charged for items I didn't consume. One time I had the fridge emptied and stored in the room, and twice when I didn't. (as a note, I don't use Anything from the fridge, don't have kids, and two of these trips I was traveling alone).

The second trip it happened on, I was charged two separate times. Once for candy, and once for a soda. When I confronted my room steward he almost broke down in tears both times saying he would be fired if I told. So I just paid it.

I had a similar experience with the steward the first trip it happened when I was charged for a water bottle I didn't drink. That time actual tears, again.. I felt bad and let it go.

The last time I went to guest services and attempted to be reimbursed. They refused and said they didn't believe me. I gave up quickly, not wanting to ruin my vacation over a few dollars, but wish i had persisted.

Now I won't stand for it. Yes it might only be $10.. but its not my fault, and when I mess up at work I have to take responsibility for it, not my costumers.

I don't know if they actually get in trouble, if they lied and drank it themselves, or what. I have no idea. But know that this is a frequent occurrence and you may have issues getting refunded.

Highly suggest having all items removed from the room!

I have no idea what the tears are all about, but if they can really lose their jobs over a missing can of soda (which I doubt highly, but after all NCL are the evil supervillains of the year), they have every interest in working with you to make sure everything goes smoothly with the minibar.

If you don't plan to have anything out of the minibar, whether you choose to have it emptied or not, the items in or out of the room, it is a good idea to tell the steward from the outset that there is no reason for the contents to change, and if they ever notice something missing, to please talk to you about it before recording the charge.

Likewise, that doesn't make sense.

Think it through... what's the cost of the contested minibar item? Contrast to the cost of hiring, training, and transporting a replacement to join the ship at the next port. Barring an offense related to passenger safety or the worker actually caught with stolen item(s), no worker is getting fired for a single occurrence. Should it happen regularly, then you might see drastic action taken.

Some retail business actually watch for cashiers whose drawers always add up perfectly. It's a sign that something fishy is going on; cashiers are expected to make some small mistakes, that's human nature.