Complimentary/Included Wine

NJBelle

Hi all. Sometimes, people on CC complain that the wines are not good or not to their liking, etc. But we are on aboard now on the Voyager and I am here to say that the included wines are quite nice. We had a wine tasting a few sea days back and there were about 20 for us to taste. While I had not had many of them served to me, now I know they are available. And they are serious when they say, you just need to ask. They have the "selected" wines for each restaurant each night, but you can request others to your taste. We think there has been an upgrade and are quite happy with the wines and the house champagne (which is Montaudon by the way). Anyway, I wanted to put to rest any concerns about the wines. We had thought that we would purchase some wines for special evenings (have a lot of OBC) but have really felt no need. I am not prepared to seek out a full list and post it, but do rest assured there should be something for everyone!

Cheers, Janice

Glad you are enjoying your cruise.

However. It often happens that some of the more popular wines run out a few days before the end of a cruise. This particularly happens on longer voyages. Champagne "Montaudon" is my wife's favorite and Regent ran out on our last two Mariner voyages.

So, If you find something you really like, get a few bottles for your room.

j

Regent 38/553

My wife is the wine drinker in the family - I enjoy it but I'm more of a brown liquid kind of guy - and I can honestly say that we've never had an issue with the wines served on Regent. True, they've run out of a few on occasion, but my way of looking at is that I then have a chance to try something new!

I suspect that this rarely occurs. At least it hasn't in our 20+ cruises. We are going on a B2B cruise for 29 days in places where I doubt that they could replenish their supply of Montaudon. I have champagne every night before dinner and will certainly post if they run out. They have run out of some wines but I suspect that Regent loads many, many more cases of Montaudon than they do specific wines. At least my fingers are crossed that this is the case.

I have never seen Regent run out of my preferred red, in over 150 days onboard. Now Silversea, another matter altogether. Not only did they run out of red (all reds) but also Diet Coke and bacon! I was almost dead.

Edited by RachelG

JMariner, say it isn't so! The thought of the Montaudon not being free-flowing is frightening!😎

I agree that on a long cruise, something might run out, but let's hope it isn't the champagne!

Yes it is so. And in the past few years it has happened far too frequently. (Don't blame the bar staff or even the on ship F&B or GM. The problem comes from Miami.)

And to make matters worse, when the do run out they switch to something awful like Bouvet Brut. (Good for washing out socks).

Frankly there is no excuse. The storage holds on the ships can store many tractor trailer loads of wine. Maybe to run out of some vintages of Reds that are out of productions, I can understand that.

I guess I am bit jaded. Piper Heidsieck used to be the 1st line champagne and the Montaudon was the cheap 2nd line serving. Back 15 years ago when I first cruised Regent it was Veuve Clicquot that they handed you when you first boarded.

j

35/491

Well, so sorry you have had a bad experience. Sounds like most of us have had a very positive experience. As we know, anyone who had had a negative experience would have already chimed in!😎

Yes, the wines are great and I have assurances that the good wines will keep on flowing.

Service has been very good. The other day at lunch, a Chardonnay was offered. I asked where it was from. Italy. Well, that is not my favorite. I murmur just to my husband that if it were from France or California, I would have been more interested. Then said I was fine with the savignon blanc they were also offering as a choice. A moment or two passes and then the sommelier appeared with a lovely Macon Chardonnay. Bingo!

I agree with the positive experiences as that is our experience as well. While we do not like every wine that is served, there are plenty of great alternatives. On our last cruise (September), we were into Hess Cabernet Sauvignon. Once the sommelier learned our preference, she had it out for us every night. I have no idea what the cost is per bottle -- all I care about is that we enjoy it.

In terms of what Radisson/Regent used to do, I find it better to look at what is happening now rather than in the past. When we flew First Class on TWA in the 80's (using frequent flyer miles), they served Dom Perignon champagne and Sevruga caviar. They served so much champagne that I got tired of it (unusual for me:-) Obviously, TWA is no longer in business and I really don't long for the good old days -- Regent today is just fine for us.

TravelCat I totally agree with you. Things have changed. We used to fly first class with United (with miles also) and they also served Dom Perignon plus Godiva chocolates. All that has changed. The flying experience is not what it used to be. While we never cruised when Regent was Radisson to me Regent is fine. I have no problems with the wines and if we don't like one, we request something else. I think airlines and cruise lines are more conscious of cost and cannot be the way they used to be. Everything has changed from what it was 20 years ago.

See you in Cape Town.:)