Surprising a First Time Cruiser

w8ng2xale

So I booked a cruise for my BF and I in February 2016. This is my 3rd cruise but will be his first.

I had an idea where I would just take him to the airport and arrive at the ship. Of course. Of course I'd give him parameters of what to pack a few days before.

OR

I could tell him at Christmas and that way he has lots of time to prepare, research if he wants and get excited about the cruise.

In the past he said he wasn't really interested in a cruise but recently on a very busy land trip to Australia, he didn't relax at all. Our cruise is to Mexico and we also have a trip to Mexico City in October 2016. Our MC trip will focus on culture, history and street tacos :p so this cruise will allow us to relax and enjoy the sun, the water, and the resort like atmosphere. A nice prequel to our MC trip I'd say!

So what do you think - tell him early? Wait till February? Do you think thats reasonable for someone who has never cruised and has some preconceived notions about what cruises are like?

Thanks for your feedback!

I would do it on Christmas....but don't tell him how wonderful it will be, or give too much info...that will ruin the "discovery" process! You might want to include a guidebook, so he can read up on the ports...you get much more out of a trip if you know something about where you're going!

The anticipation is 1/2 the fun! Let him experience that!

Think about the land trip to Australia. Did he, in any way whatsoever, show interest or excitement about the trip before it happened? Or was he "ho hum, trip coming up next week, or is it the week after, who cares when it is because my girlfriend will let me know the day before?"?

If you think he will derive any pleasure from looking forward to it, then tell him. If, on the other hand, he won't look forward to it any more than if you tell him you're going shopping in February, then don't. But IMO anyone who wouldn't look forward to a cruise, wouldn't want to go anyway.

He did get excited about his Australia trip a couple of weeks beforehand. Its sometimes hard to imagine travel months ahead but ramping up it does get more "real".

Well, I purchased the cruise (but got insurance to cancel if needed). From my own experience of traveling together, I KNOW he'd like it. Lots of people have preconceived notions of what cruising is like. He thinks its for older people, when cruising is for everyone! He thinks its all about buffets but cruises have awesome dining experiences - he'd love Sabatini's and the new Gastropub experience coming to the Ruby Princess. Plus, I don't care if we go onto shore if he wants to relax and read a book. If its too noisy, we'll relax on our balcony OR set ourselves in the Sanctuary! We don't have to do excursions and be "busy". Thats the beauty of the cruise experience! Its what we want, how we want, right?

I am starting to think the Christmas reveal may be the best. It'd be a little over a month to the sail date and besides. Who wouldn't be excited about a PAID surprise holiday?!?

Thinking from my perspective, I would want to agree to it ahead of time and not be surprised showing up at the port, but then I hate surprises.

My hubby had already been on his first cruise when we met. He wanted to go on one with me but knew I was reluctant (I could have gone on a freebie one -- just pay for my return flight -- through work (we had a cruise line for a client and they had some empty cabins on a cruise, this was way back before cruising became that popular). So he suggested we go on an one day cruise (in the 90s there was a small line that would go from San Diego to Ensenada and return back the same night--your basic gamblers special). That was the test. Then we booked a 7-day Mexican Riviera cruise. And we planned together what we would do or not in each port (no planned excursions, just sightseeing and shopping).

I'd tell him at Christmas but also plan some little surprises during the trip as your budget allows. For example, when we took a cruise out of Los Angeles I booked a pre-cruise night on the Queen Mary and didn't tell my wife about the Queen Mary night until we were pulling up to the front door. You could also order a bottle of champagne or some chocolates to be in the cabin when you board.

Edited by Underwatr

Our MC trip will focus on xxxxxxx, xxxxxxx and street tacos

It's good to incorporate some scientific study and analaysis into a vacation. :D

I might have been persuaded to get into cruising years earlier if my other half had sprung a cruise on me at the airport, because I wasn't interested in cruising due to those "pre-conceived ideas" about cruising.

I eventually took my first cruise just to keep her happy - and now I'm hooked.:)

The same might apply to your feller.

Probably the others are right, & you should tell him in advance - though won't Christmas be too late to cancel before final payment date if he hits the roof?

Or mebbe it's already too late.

You know the guy, we don't.

So really you're the only one who knows whether you'll get away with that surprise at the airport. Or even at the port.

I kinda hope you do. :)

But don't blame me if the waddayacallit hits the fan. :D

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I might have been persuaded to get into cruising years earlier if my other half had sprung a cruise on me at the airport, because I wasn't interested in cruising due to those "pre-conceived ideas" about cruising.

I eventually took my first cruise just to keep her happy - and now I'm hooked.:)

The same might apply to your feller.

You know the guy, we don't.

So really you're the only one who knows whether you'll get away with that surprise at the airport. Or even at the port.

I kinda hope you do. :)

But don't blame me if the waddayacallit hits the fan. :D

JB :)

Well, I love surprises so if someone wants to take me on a cruise or a trip, I'm all in! He likes luxurious things - good food, good drink, dressing up, and relaxing - so I really think he'll enjoy himself. Hopefully we'll find ourselves on more cruises after!

I think after mulling over peoples suggestions I'm going to tell him at Christmas and will put together a nice little gift with the itinerary and a few small cruise-ish things. I think it will be fun to discover what each other would like to do for excursions or if we'll just wing it - which is awesome too.

I'm so excited. I change our booking to C752 which is an Aft balacony. That upgrade was for me ;)

I'm so excited. I change our booking to C752 which is an Aft balacony. That upgrade was for me

Sweet! You'll love the aft balcony - nothing nicer than enjoying coffee in the morning watching the ship's wake.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)