Whats they draw of Galveston????

mpdog42

Seventeen million passengers in fifteen years all had the "nothing" experience.

"In 2014, Port of Galveston embarked approximately 640,000 passengers due to the largest-ever capacity commitment by the cruise industry to Texas. These deployments are expected to carry over 824,000 passengers in 2015, an increase of 28% more than last year. "

Source:http://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=36

I've just returned from my 2nd Magic cruise in the last 4 weeks. As a Noo Yawker, I fully expected to be an "ousider" as I cruised with Texans, Oklahomans, and other Americans from other States within driving distance of the port. I usually cruise from Miami, so leaving from Galveston was a great way to enjoy a different American demographic than I was accustomed to.

I was not expecting to hear 2 Texan couples who were discussing the Paris attacks in the Prime Steakhouse advocate that ISIS should attack New York next. The men who claimed to be former military were serious in their opinion that an ISIS attack on NY was in the national interest as the victims of such an attack were only freeloading communists and deserved to be annihilated.

I was so shocked to hear such appalling comments that I was glad we had just about finished our meal and could leave the steakhouse ASAP. How these two "patriotic" Americans could advocate terror attacks on other Americans is way beyond my comprehension. I also realize that this a fringe belief not shared by the vast majority of cruisers, but it still was inconceivable to me that they shared their views openly in a public setting.

evaandbob, Please don't blame Texas for that experience! There are idiots everywhere! I was born in Texas, raised in upstate N.Y., and due to my job lived in almost every state in the U.S. and 5 foreign countries. Now that I am retired I CHOSE to live in Texas. We always cruise in September and lots of posters on this site call it the Texas redneck cruise. Maybe so, but I like that I live less than a mile from the port. N/O does not offer any better choices than here and Florida is too far away. We lived in Miami for 3 years and did not cruise then. Wish we had, as more choices. I go for the ship experience not the ports, so don't mind the repetition. Someone wondered why we would all go to Coz so often. That port changes all of the time. I actually lived there in '94 and a cruise ship only came in on Tuesdays. We that lived there all stayed away from San Migual, the port was located there then, as the drunken mob from the ship was so annoying. Now, the cruise industry is Huge there. Much more to see and do, or we sometimes don't even get off the ship, like in Jamaica and Freeport as there is more to do on the ship than you think on port days and they have lots of specials. I find there to be lots of passengers from other places than Texas on our cruise and doubt I have met anyone that I did not know their area as have probably been or lived there. There is a lot to do in our Galveston port if people would take the time to research. Galveston.com is a good place to check to see what's going on locally and they have web cams of a lot of attractions and the port. And by the way Texas isn't the only place to find red necks. Go way upstate around Sodus Point NY and you would think you are in Tx or Ok. And if you travel to places in Florida that have REAL Floridians not transplants, they sound like they come from Louisiana. Just saying:cool:

evaandbob, Please don't blame Texas for that experience! There are idiots everywhere! I was born in Texas, raised in upstate N.Y., and due to my job lived in almost every state in the U.S. and 5 foreign countries. Now that I am retired I CHOSE to live in Texas. We always cruise in September and lots of posters on this site call it the Texas redneck cruise. Maybe so, but I like that I live less than a mile from the port. N/O does not offer any better choices than here and Florida is too far away. We lived in Miami for 3 years and did not cruise then. Wish we had, as more choices. I go for the ship experience not the ports, so don't mind the repetition. Someone wondered why we would all go to Coz so often. That port changes all of the time. I actually lived there in '94 and a cruise ship only came in on Tuesdays. We that lived there all stayed away from San Migual, the port was located there then, as the drunken mob from the ship was so annoying. Now, the cruise industry is Huge there. Much more to see and do, or we sometimes don't even get off the ship, like in Jamaica and Freeport as there is more to do on the ship than you think on port days and they have lots of specials. I find there to be lots of passengers from other places than Texas on our cruise and doubt I have met anyone that I did not know their area as have probably been or lived there. There is a lot to do in our Galveston port if people would take the time to research. Galveston.com is a good place to check to see what's going on locally and they have web cams of a lot of attractions and the port. And by the way Texas isn't the only place to find red necks. Go way upstate around Sodus Point NY and you would think you are in Tx or Ok. And if you travel to places in Florida that have REAL Floridians not transplants, they sound like they come from Louisiana. Just saying:cool:

In 94' Cozumel only had "a cruise ship come in on Tuesdays"?

This is false. Not only were there western Caribbean cruises from Miami but in 1993 the Port of Tampa expanded its market and first started offering 3, 4 and 5 day sailings to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. With multiple cruise lines operating from their. Back in 94 that port couldn't have handled all those ships on one day.

There is so much Capacity to Cozumel from Texas, Carnival extended an extra pier. Aren't y'all starting to get tired of that port?

I don't really get it that much either.

I'm all for Galveston getting Valor instead btw.. Bring Liberty back to Florida.

That said.. I will see you all next time I try to do a Western :cool:

We never tire of Cozumel because there is so much to do there. Lately we have been just hitting the beach at Mr. Sanchos. We were there 10 days ago and will go back in January. We also fly down there for vacation whenever we can. Its cheap, fun, and the people are so nice.

I definitely think it's because of all of the people driving in. I moved to Arkansas, around 8-9 hours away, recently, so my next two cruises will be out of Galveston as I can drive there easier than anywhere except NOLA. It seems like flying seems to be a part of cruising, but I'm wondering if people aren't driving to ships more than ever. This past weekend John Heald asked on FB if they were driving, flying, or riding a train to their next cruise, and scanning the responses, it seemed like well over 3/4ths were driving.

I've just returned from my 2nd Magic cruise in the last 4 weeks. As a Noo Yawker, I fully expected to be an "ousider" as I cruised with Texans, Oklahomans, and other Americans from other States within driving distance of the port. I usually cruise from Miami, so leaving from Galveston was a great way to enjoy a different American demographic than I was accustomed to.

I was not expecting to hear 2 Texan couples who were discussing the Paris attacks in the Prime Steakhouse advocate that ISIS should attack New York next. The men who claimed to be former military were serious in their opinion that an ISIS attack on NY was in the national interest as the victims of such an attack were only freeloading communists and deserved to be annihilated.

I was so shocked to hear such appalling comments that I was glad we had just about finished our meal and could leave the steakhouse ASAP. How these two "patriotic" Americans could advocate terror attacks on other Americans is way beyond my comprehension. I also realize that this a fringe belief not shared by the vast majority of cruisers, but it still was inconceivable to me that they shared their views openly in a public setting.

Truly disappointing, but the venue had zero to do with this. How do you know where they are from?

Truly disappointing, but the venue had zero to do with this. How do you know where they are from?

Simple, they had discussed their backgrounds, home towns, grand kids, guns and military history prior to stating their opinions on a new terror attack in NY. The tables are not far apart and we were even included in some of their discussion.

I certainly don't blame the venue, the ship, the state of Texas for their comments. I love diversity, but there are some subjects that are way too sensitive for comments of this kind.

I would hope any American would object to hearing anyone advocate that ISIS or any other terror group should kill or maim other Americans.

In 94' Cozumel only had "a cruise ship come in on Tuesdays"?

This is false. Not only were there western Caribbean cruises from Miami but in 1993 the Port of Tampa expanded its market and first started offering 3, 4 and 5 day sailings to Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen. With multiple cruise lines operating from their. Back in 94 that port couldn't have handled all those ships on one day.

Not completely false as: A. I am old and my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. B. Maybe not just Tues. that was my day off and I'm sure I avoided it for that reason. C. Definitely not false that that was the only port.

At that time it was a sleepy, almost village, americans mostly came there to dive or sell time share. The locals brought their children down to the square dressed up and danced and sang on Sundays. There was only one bar that had a.c. and they did off track betting there. Carlos and Charlies was not a chain, it was an unairconditioned bar and restaurant that they poured tequila down your throat out of a goatskin bag or bladder? You had to walk upstairs to get to it and the one time I went there on a cruise day, maybe not Tues. you ran the risk of never getting up the stairs as the cruisers were falling down them. Cheap and strong drinks so guess everyone wanted to fill up before reboarding. :)

I would hope any American would object to hearing anyone advocate that ISIS or any other terror group should kill or maim other Americans.

Agreed. The Magic and Freedom draw a more diverse state crowd while the Triumph is more than 50% Texans.

Wow Really?

As a 4th gen Vet I'm offended

BUT Knowing a lot of Texans over the past 5 years

I call BS.

Ru Kidding me :rolleyes:

BTW I'm from SAN FRANCISCO

Edited by jonbgd

Not completely false as: A. I am old and my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. B. Maybe not just Tues. that was my day off and I'm sure I avoided it for that reason. C. Definitely not false that that was the only port.

At that time it was a sleepy, almost village, americans mostly came there to dive or sell time share. The locals brought their children down to the square dressed up and danced and sang on Sundays. There was only one bar that had a.c. and they did off track betting there. Carlos and Charlies was not a chain, it was an unairconditioned bar and restaurant that they poured tequila down your throat out of a goatskin bag or bladder? You had to walk upstairs to get to it and the one time I went there on a cruise day, maybe not Tues. you ran the risk of never getting up the stairs as the cruisers were falling down them. Cheap and strong drinks so guess everyone wanted to fill up before reboarding. :)

Your answer for "C. Definitely not false that that was the only port" wasn't my point. I understand that there was only one area for the ships. I was saying that the one port they had couldn't handle all of those ships on one day back then because as you stated they only had a cruise ship come in on Tuesdays. How you wrote originally gave the context that Cozumel only had 1 cruise ship visiting the port and the day it docked there was Tuesday. I was pointing out how that was false.

How is it that one of your counterpoints for your statement not being completely false is that you're old and memory is not as sharp as it used to be? That makes no sense for a rebuttal, especially being your opener.

Your answer for "C. Definitely not false that that was the only port" wasn't my point. I understand that there was only one area for the ships. I was saying that the one port they had couldn't handle all of those ships on one day back then because as you stated they only had a cruise ship come in on Tuesdays. How you wrote originally gave the context that Cozumel only had 1 cruise ship visiting the port and the day it docked there was Tuesday. I was pointing out how that was false.

How is it that one of your counterpoints for your statement not being completely false is that you're old and memory is not as sharp as it used to be? That makes no sense for a rebuttal, especially being your opener.

Come on! Give me a break! I did not know I was going to be graded on my review. My husband always tells me I need to preface any statements I make with "approximitly" (and yes I know that is mis-spelled) Since the time I lived in Coz I have lived in the Dominican Republic, Virginia, Florida and now Texas. It takes a lot of thinking to narrow down specifics so I am bad about just throwing out general answers and not thinking it through. Though I have been getting the benefits of Cruise Critic for years, I only signed up in '13 and just started posting this month, as you can see by my low # of reviews. I saw on a different thread that a 1st time cruiser needed some info about Galveston and as no one answered her question, I decided to help. That instance went well and I should have just stopped there. But, I will stop HERE, and will not do any further posts. 99% of the questions asked on this site could be answered simply by going to the website of the cruise line that was booked on, but I have refrained for years chiming in with that. I would not get any personal satisfaction inferring the OP is stupid. Since I can't post and make any "sense" it obviously is just too deep for me. You have a nice day, I know I will, even if I can't recall every detail of it 11 years from now.:p