Miami Airport- Coming in on domestic flight

My wife and I will be coming into Miami airport in a couple of weeks. I have read of extremely long times of getting out of the airport. But, the posts that I have seen are from International travelers having to clear customs. We are coming in from Atlanta and will not have to deal with customs.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced longer than normal times to get out and grab a taxi?

Thanks,

Jon

We have gone into Miami on AA from San Francisco many times. The only thing long is the long watch to luggage pick from arrival gate, then sometimes a wait for luggage to arrive... don't feel any longer than most large airports.

We always fly in a day ahead coming from the west coast... since it is an all day flight and don't try to catch the ship the same day. Flying from Atlanta would guess that is not an issue.

We have gone into Miami on AA from San Francisco many times. The only thing long is the long watch to luggage pick from arrival gate, then sometimes a wait for luggage to arrive... don't feel any longer than most large airports.

We always fly in a day ahead coming from the west coast... since it is an all day flight and don't try to catch the ship the same day. Flying from Atlanta would guess that is not an issue.

pardon, I mean long walk, vs long watch...

I'm gonna assume you are flying Delta in from ATL (though you don't mention and it is important). Delta is on the other side of the airport from AA. Although you may have a bit of a walk from the gate to bag claim, it is shorter than one of the ATL concourses. And the DL facilities are completely separate from those of AA.

We clear immigration in Toronto so the only long wait in MIA is for baggage to arrive (but what airport does not have a wait) & maybe the taxi line depending on the location where you have to line up

Flew SFO-MIA, don't remember how long it was to wait for luggage, we checked in, what I do remember is everybody was saying it's a small airport, but it was a long (for me) walk from the gate to the luggage carousel. Just longer than expected.

My wife and I will be coming into Miami airport in a couple of weeks. I have read of extremely long times of getting out of the airport. But, the posts that I have seen are from International travelers having to clear customs. We are coming in from Atlanta and will not have to deal with customs.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced longer than normal times to get out and grab a taxi?

Thanks,

Jon

Getting a taxi is normally relative quick and painless.

Like any airport sometimes the luggage shows up quickly and sometimes it doesn't. I would say on average it is a bit longer at this airport but you just never know.

Keith

Thanks,

Jon

You will get out of MIA fast. The only delay might be waiting on luggage, but it is no worse than any other airport. Getting a cab is less than a 90 second process.

Edited by zqvol

Thanks to all for the info. I was just concerned about recent posts. But I guess I have to take into consideration the possible added caution after the attacks in Paris.

You are flying domestic. Your issues, if any will be in ATL, not when you arrive in MIA.

The luggage at MIA usually comes out 20-30 minutes after we arrive at the luggage carousel. Don't feel you have to rush to get to luggage claim. Use the restrooms, stop and browse in the shops before proceeding to luggage claim.

The other possible issue is if there is a convention and the conventioneers are just arriving - there might be a long, long line at the taxi stand. That happened to us once and the various shuttles were over full as well, so we just rented a car and dropped it at their location near the port and they provided a free shuttle to the port. Easy and convenient. However, normally, the line for a taxi is quite short. Last time (end of July), there were only 2 parties ahead of us and queue of 20+ taxis.

What I would suggest to ease your travel is to get your Trusted Traveler as this will make you Pre Check most of the time for TSA security which means you go through the short line and it can save you a ton of time on re-entering the USA as there are kiosks you can slide your card at and scan your passport instead of having to wait in the long, long line of people without this. It's so easy to do and well worth it:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs