Tracy Arm/Mendenhall Glacier

poss

We'll be doing the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm (have done it before and loved it) and then the boat will bring us back to the cruise ship in Juneau.

I'm wondering whether visiting Mendenhall in the afternoon in Juneau makes sense after Tracy Arm. I.e. it surely can't be as spectacular as the fjord trip, but I'm wondering if there's enough special and different about Mendenhall that warrants a visit.

Last time we were in Juneau we took a terrific helicopter glacier landing tour, but we've become reluctant to fly small planes now. (Too bad, since the Misty Fjords float plane excursion was probably our single favorite of any in Alaska.)

Thank you.

You don't have any other touring of interest? What would else would you like to see/do? Do you want to see more glaciers? Have an interest in walking to Nugget Falls ? There are plenty of online photos available for you to take a look and determine.

interested in renting a car, and including a Mendenhall stop?

All kinds of options.

We'll be doing the small boat excursion up Tracy Arm (have done it before and loved it) and then the boat will bring us back to the cruise ship in Juneau.

I'm wondering whether visiting Mendenhall in the afternoon in Juneau makes sense after Tracy Arm. I.e. it surely can't be as spectacular as the fjord trip, but I'm wondering if there's enough special and different about Mendenhall that warrants a visit.

Last time we were in Juneau we took a terrific helicopter glacier landing tour, but we've become reluctant to fly small planes now. (Too bad, since the Misty Fjords float plane excursion was probably our single favorite of any in Alaska.)

Thank you.

IMHO Mendenhall is one of the highlights of Juneau. Loved the hike to the falls etc. A different experience than seeing Tracy Arm fjord closer up. Of course Misty is something I want to do too someday :D

Another vote for YES to make the extra effort for Mendenhall. Like Sawyer... Mendenhall continues to retreat..... go see it while you still can!

When you return to Juneau... find out how many hours you have left before the ship departs Juneau. Then go looking for the shuttle or taxi over to the Mendenhall visitor centre.

Sadly there's too much to do in Juneau.... decisions... decisions...

• whale watch?
  • Glacier Gardens?
  • Mt. Roberts Tram?
  • Tracy's crab shack.....

Does anyone know cost of shuttle or taxi to Mendenhall? Also, time required to get there?

This season was $20pp, some reports of tax added, making it $21 round trip pp. for the shuttle buses

It takes 20 minutes one way.

I would budget $40 with tip for a taxi one way. You do have to arrange or call for one from Mendenhall, there is no cab line. Call at least half an hour prior to needing it.

I haven't been on my cruise yet, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but what we're doing is the Tracy Arm excursion and then renting a car when we get to Juneau. We're planning on visiting Glacier Gardens and Mendenhall and maybe more if we have time (we probably won't). We could take the shuttle, but we'll probably be there after the shuttle stops running and I didn't want to have to depend on a cab being available. We'll see about the Tram either before getting the car or after, depending on the weather. We probably don't NEED a car, but I felt like it gave us the best flexibility for seeing multiple things and spending the time we wanted at them.

Thanks for responses! Our days of renting cars and having the fun of exploring on our own are over; loved it while we were able. Also, we've always (95% of the time anyway) been very pleased with the Regent excursions, most of which are included in the fare.

I'd be curious to know which people find more interesting-- Mendenhall or Mt Roberts tram, if one had to choose.

I'd be curious to know which people find more interesting-- Mendenhall or Mt Roberts tram, if one had to choose.

Mt Roberts is a 6 minute ride. So really no similarity with Mendenhall. It's an easy add on touring option. There are some very nice trails to also consider. Your ticket is good all day, varying light is also worth a couple trips, especially if there at dusk/dark.

If you have the time..... make the effort for Mendenhall.

When you get back to the docks after Mendenhall.... do you have an hour to spare before the ship departs? Are the skies clear and fog free at Mt. Roberts.... then consider going on the Tram. Never buy the tram tickets on the boat.... buy them at the tram office if you have time and the weather is clear.

• 1 month later...

We have booked the Tracey Arm excursion but would like to see the Mendenhall Glacier afterwards. Our tour ends in Juneau at 3.30pm.

Does anyone know where you then pick up the shuttle in Juneau, and what time is the last departure from the glacier? Our ship is in port until 10.00pm.

Many thanks for any advice!

We have booked the Tracey Arm excursion but would like to see the Mendenhall Glacier afterwards. Our tour ends in Juneau at 3.30pm.

Does anyone know where you then pick up the shuttle in Juneau, and what time is the last departure from the glacier? Our ship is in port until 10.00pm.

Many thanks for any advice!

It is Tracy Arm. The Mendenhall shuttle buses leave from the tram parking lot. Depends what dock you are at, but it's pretty simple to find. Last shuttles back are around 6pm. IF you need more time, use a cab, but you need to call them, about a half hour prior to wanting to be picked up. So, have the cab numbers.

Poss, based on your posts, it sounds like you might now be less active now than you have been in the past. This summer we did the Tracy Arm excursion off Celebrity, met the ship in Juneau, took a cab to mendenhall glacier, was picked up by our whale watch company, whale watched, and was back in line for the boat about 845pm. We essentially had about 14 straight hours of touring. It was awsome, but exhausting (and I'm in my early 30s)! It's possible to get to either the glacier or the tram with little planning, so you may want to make a game time decision about how the weather is, and how tired you are. I do recommend traveling with some taxi phone numbers, as it was difficult for us to just flag down a taxi.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk