Seniors travel insurance - your recommendations?

We are both in our sixties and we use insure and go they will cover pre ecsisting conditions some with no extra charge some with a fee depending on the condition.They also cover a lot more than many other travel insurances especially on cruises.

We are both in our sixties and we use insure and go they will cover pre ecsisting conditions some with no extra charge some with a fee depending on the condition.They also cover a lot more than many other travel insurances especially on cruises.

Insurandgo gets a thumbs up for heart conditions. Their online screening is very easy and you get a price straight away. When we started cruising, the GP would have to complete a questionnaire (with miniscule printing)... then you had to wait for the outcome!

Anna,

As we are members of Probus we use the Probus insurance.

It is not very generous but does cover pre-existing conditions including heart etc.

Once you get into your 70s there are not too many choices and, if they do cover you it can only be with a large extra premium.

For instance, Insure & Go wanted to add a premium of $1000 for insurance that Probus charge $370.

But obviously this is no use to you lf you are not a member of Probus.

This is one area that is not good as you get older.

I hope others can can up with better ideas.

Regards,

Don

Insure and Go, I'm 71 with a heart condition, type 2 diabetes, and several other problems, and my wife has 2 artificial knees and a couple of other problems.

They covered us both, wife at standard rate and me with a small surcharge.

Anna,

As we are members of Probus we use the Probus insurance.

It is not very generous but does cover pre-existing conditions including heart etc.

Once you get into your 70s there are not too many choices and, if they do cover you it can only be with a large extra premium.

For instance, Insure & Go wanted to add a premium of $1000 for insurance that Probus charge $370.

But obviously this is no use to you lf you are not a member of Probus.

This is one area that is not good as you get older.

I hope others can can up with better ideas.

Regards,

Don

Lovely bumping into you here Don :) (Singapore tour from memory?) Pass on my regards to Ann. You certainly have a good deal via Probus.

Insure and Go, I'm 71 with a heart condition, type 2 diabetes, and several other problems, and my wife has 2 artificial knees and a couple of other problems.

They covered us both, wife at standard rate and me with a small surcharge.

Quite so, Russell. I was surprised at the small surcharge for DH's heart condition.

About time more insurers looked after seniors, since that's where health issues are a worry.

We use Covermore. No problems with existing problems (heart arrhythmia and stroke) as long as not going to The Americas or Africa. Can be done easily online as well. Reasonably priced but don't know comparison with others.

We use Covermore. No problems with existing problems (heart arrhythmia and stroke) as long as not going to The Americas or Africa. Can be done easily online as well. Reasonably priced but don't know comparison with others.

It's my choice for our May cruise, Megsie. Actually a little less that Insureandgo for the annual cover . When you cruise at least twice a year it's more economical to go that way.

This is a very helpful thread. Thanks Kinkacruiser for starting it.

Have had a brief look at Insure & Go and wondering whataripper if you have ever had to make a claim and if so, what was the response?

Why thanks, LC1950. It's a plus that we can discuss travel insurance here and it never hurts to explore different providers and get online quotes.

Have had a brief look at Insure & Go and wondering whataripper if you have ever had to make a claim and if so, what was the response?

LC1950, we used Insure & Go on our last cruise in March. We claimed a couple of visits to the Medical Centre and had our refund within a few days. We both have existing medical conditions and the premium was certainly lower than we expected after looking at other companies. We would use them again.

Leigh

Anna as i said in your other post look into a gold credit card and you get free overseas insurance, you have to put a certain amount on the card for the cruise but the excess is $250...not sure about the extras for a pre illness

we used Zurich when Kay got very sick and couldnt cruise and once they had the paper work off the doctor they paid up

Thanks so much for your input Leigh. Yep, will certainly investigate further. We usually use RACV (very good but starting to get $$$$), fortunately we have no pre-existing conditions but we are getting on. DH will turn 71 in a couple of weeks and I will be almost 66 by the time our next cruise comes around, so now that we are both retired and living on a 'fixed' income, are looking for the best bang for our buck.

Funny isn't it? We don't feel 'old' but the numbers are starting to stack up - and not in our favour. :cool:

I have an ANZ platinum Visa credit card which covers me and my wife if I spend $250 on travel costs on my card, but it won't cover our pre-existing heart conditions.

As it covers all the other insurance issues for no charge, I would like to know if there are any insurers who just cover pre-existing conditions only.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

MP.

My mum is 81, and I bought her travel insurance through southern cross. Most companies were exorbitant prices over 80. Thankfully she didn't have to use it. However southern cross have a 5 star Cannex rating and are highly recommended.

My husband hurt his knee skiing in Austria this year, his insurance was with southern cross ( I generally use my credit card insurance, however as we were on different flights I couldn't include him on mine).

I called southern cross and they were excellent, they arranged for him to be upgraded for our remaining European flights so that he could elevate his leg. We were flying business class home already so that was already covered. This was all arranged based on a photo of a letter written by the Dr in Austria ( in German!) and no excess for medical coverage. Highly recommend.

I have also claimed through TID three times ( Iceland volcano, lost camera skiing in Canada, and emergency care when I was ambulanced off a plane in London) with excellent customer service. ( I was alone in London, with no passport - Heathrow airport kept it in their possession, no cash and nowhere to stay, they arranged accomodation and a taxi to take me to the hotel they booked for me)

Have also claimed with insure and go no problems ( delayed luggage)

My mum and dad are 85 and 88. They were booked on on cruise Syd-Hawaii in April next year. Mum has just spent over a week in hospital with complications from Type 1 diabetes. Dad has decided to cancel the cruise and holiday closer to home. I think they may have problems getting travel insurance due to the hospitalisation from a pre-exisiting condition.

Make sure you read the fine print. I was going to insure with insure and go for my upcoming 4 night domestic cruise.

Reading the fine print I am excluded from cover for anything at all medical wise as I have been treated for cancer in the last 5 years. Also was in hospital for a very minor day surgery procedure during this year.

I couldn't believe that they would exclude me for all medical issues even though I wasn't even asking for cover for those things. I phoned them to get clarification and yes I had read the policy correctly.

Phoned them back another time as I still didnt believe it could be the case, and sure enough same story.

In the end I have decided to go with RACV, covering for only one pre existing issue which I am 100% sure won't be an issue but, murphy's law tells me I cant take any chances. total for myself and 2 grandchildren is just over $100 with a nil excess. I usually go with a high excess but you never know with kids!!!

No thankfully not had to make a claim but after looking at a number of insurers in depth and used other insurers in the past was impressed by the insurance for cruises cover for delays missed ports cabin confinement etc.

I know frequent cruisers will know but just a heads up to new cruisers to check their insurance carefully before purchasing as some travel insurance does not cover cruises especially domestic ones and others you have to choose the cruise option. This is especially important for medical expenses as you are not covered under Medicare and a lot of private medical insurance does not cover you either even in domestic waters.

I have an ANZ platinum Visa credit card which covers me and my wife if I spend $250 on travel costs on my card, but it won't cover our pre-existing heart conditions.

As it covers all the other insurance issues for no charge, I would like to know if there are any insurers who just cover pre-existing conditions only.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

MP.

I haven't found one so far, MP :o

Cheers,

Anna

I know frequent cruisers will know but just a heads up to new cruisers to check their insurance carefully before purchasing as some travel insurance does not cover cruises especially domestic ones and others you have to choose the cruise option. This is especially important for medical expenses as you are not covered under Medicare and a lot of private medical insurance does not cover you either even in domestic waters.

Wouldn't Medicare work for you in Australian coastal waters? Of course there's the expensive ship's surgery to deal with. I take a fistful of medication on our cruises to deal with minor bugs.

Anna