Help me create an itinerary .. Key West

familycruzer

My cruise leaves on a Sunday from Miami.

We will be flying into FLL late Thursday night or Friday morning by noon. I would like to rent a car and take a trip to Key West pre cruise and was thinking about staying over night Friday somewhere along the way.

Can anyone suggest a place to stay that wont break my budget? Must stops along the way?

When we come back I was thinking about staying somewhere near Miami and just returning our car in the morning before the cruise and taking the rental shuttle or a taxi. Any suggestions other than Miami Beach or Downtown?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My cruise leaves on a Sunday from Miami.

We will be flying into FLL late Thursday night or Friday morning by noon. I would like to rent a car and take a trip to Key West pre cruise and was thinking about staying over night Friday somewhere along the way.

Can anyone suggest a place to stay that wont break my budget? Must stops along the way?

When we come back I was thinking about staying somewhere near Miami and just returning our car in the morning before the cruise and taking the rental shuttle or a taxi. Any suggestions other than Miami Beach or Downtown?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Key West is only about a 4 hour drive from FLL, I wouldn't worry about staying the night "Somewhere along the way" I would just book a room on Key West to maximize the time there. If you look through this forum there are plenty of suggestions for Pre-Cruise hotels near the port in Miami.

"Staying along the way" meaning somewhere between Islamorada and Marathon I highly recommend in as much as you could drive direct from MIA to Key West.

Staying in the area between Islamorada and Marathon is a very different, laid back experience from what Key West is.

Just my two cents!

Worldspan

Naples, Florida

We've done this trip twice in conjunction with a cruise. One as first timers on our own, then a second time with friends who wanted to see the Keys, despite my resistance. Both times we were on your same timeframe staying only 1 night.

I wouldn't do it again. The drive down isn't nearly as exciting as the pictures make it seem. Sure, you'll have some pretty views here and there but that is a small portion of the drive. Both times it took us closer to 5.5+ hours to make the trip. It's two long days to kick off your vacation. Then the whole trip is blown if it happens to rain the entire time. By the time you fly in Thursday, you really have nearly 3 'travel' days with the drive down Friday and return Saturday.

In the future if we want to extend our trip I would rather go down no further than Key Largo. Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy Key West for a long weekend. But if you're like us, it's a rushed trip and you will be worn out by the time your cruise kicks off.

It would make a long two days if your objective is to be back in MIA Saturday night. Much as we love Key West and The Keys, I'd have a hard time recommending someone drive down to KW on a Friday just to turn around and drive back to Miami on Saturday.

Unfortunately most hotels in the Keys will tend to "break the budget" during high season if that's when you're going.

Edited by bouhunter

I think we will just shoot for a cruise there. I want to relax before the cruise.

The one day trips from Miami411 don't thrill me since we can't make the bus pull over on our whim.

A Friday to Sunday trip all the way to Key West is a grueling drive.

That is a great bus trip in Miami Beach 411! If it made stops you wouldn't get to Key West.

I would suggest either a Miami Beach hotel or a Fort Lauderdale hotel.

What is your idea of not "breaking the bank"?

What time of year?

I agree that if you want see the keys, which do have variety, your time is short. We actually stopped for overnights twice on the way down to Key West to take in more. After two more nights in Key West, we drove back for a night in Ft. L for our pre flight home night. Was a real nice and relaxing side trip.

I will add it to my bucket list to take several days to drive the Keys. I want time to enjoy it.

Definitely!:) You won't regret taking time to enjoy the Keys.

As for your original question - If you stayed in Key Largo/Islamorada it wouldn't be far. Pennekamp State Park in Largo has some good snorkeling. Feed the tarpon at Robbies Marina. Great dining in the area. Theater of the Sea is also nice. It wouldn't be bad at all to spend a couple nights in the upper Keys out of the urban chaos of Miami :) You can even take a ride on the boat used in Bogart's movie African Queen.

Edited by bouhunter

If you decide to go to Key Largo, the Hampton Inn is a great budget option. It's no more than a 2 hr ride from FLL, just be sure to take the turnpike extension all the way to the end. The Hampton has a nice beach on the gulf with tiki bar, and manatee sightings are common there. It's perfect for a 1-2 night getaway.