How many drinks can you order?

FrankieSue

Oh I know my wine, and I know what I like. It's never a good idea to go by other people's opinions as it is so subjective - so I can assure you I wouldn't believe what I read about the topic here on CruiseCritic. Many "cheaper" wines get rave reviews from those who really know their stuff, just as the more expensive ones do. But I base my decision on my own particular taste. Which is why I find the house red undrinkable.

Best wine review quote ever! I cannot thank you enough for your candor.

When we were on Westerdam in September we had the SBP and never once received a receipt. They did ask the first time we used it if we had a beverage package.

Debbie

Interesting. My experience was from Eurodam last week. I received a receipt each time, but no beverage charges appeared on my final statement except for two drinks at HMC, which is excluded from the package. Perhaps things are in flux?

If it's by the glass the dining steward would get it not the wine steward.

You won't get a Canelletto by-the-glass in the DR, or - at least - you shouldn't even order it. The Steward has more than enough to do already without having to run up to the Lido deck. My reference was to bottles of wine from the other wine lists.

Does anyone know if you can order the Canaletto wines in the MDR? There is a montepulciano that I happen to like on their list that qualifies and I would like to be able to drink it with a MDR dinner. For what it's worth, I'll be on the Westerdam on December 12. This is not our first rodeo on HAL but is the first time with the drinks package.

You won't get a Canelletto by-the-glass in the DR, or - at least - you shouldn't even order it. The Steward has more than enough to do already without having to run up to the Lido deck. My reference was to bottles of wine from the other wine lists.

When the poster above says it "qualifies" it makes it sound like the poster is interested in buying in by the glass with the sbc. My last cruise was in October. I realize that stewards are busy.

Interesting. My experience was from Eurodam last week. I received a receipt each time, but no beverage charges appeared on my final statement except for two drinks at HMC, which is excluded from the package. Perhaps things are in flux?

I thought it was odd, but no drink charges showed up on my final statement. I guess that is what matters most.

Deb

When the poster above says it "qualifies" it makes it sound like the poster is interested in buying in by the glass with the sbc. My last cruise was in October. I realize that stewards are busy.

You're right, I missed that. I would hope that the ship doesn't mke the steward run to the Lido for a glass of wine - just consider the impact on all of the other diners in his area!

You're right, I missed that. I would hope that the ship doesn't mke the steward run to the Lido for a glass of wine - just consider the impact on all of the other diners in his area!

That's my hope as well. I don't think they would do it but stranger things have happened.

My husband and I both like the Montepulciano from the Canaletto. We have fixed dining. Are we really causing the wine steward a lot of extra work if we tell him the first night we would like to have it available in the MDR? Do you think they are able to get a bottle from the Canaletto and keep in where they get wines for the MDR? We do tip them well at the end of the cruise.

My husband and I both like the Montepulciano from the Canaletto. We have fixed dining. Are we really causing the wine steward a lot of extra work if we tell him the first night we would like to have it available in the MDR? Do you think they are able to get a bottle from the Canaletto and keep in where they get wines for the MDR? We do tip them well at the end of the cruise.

A bottle is a different story. If he/she knows ahead I can't see it being a big problem.

My husband and I both like the Montepulciano from the Canaletto. We have fixed dining. Are we really causing the wine steward a lot of extra work if we tell him the first night we would like to have it available in the MDR?

On any night, but especially the first night when things are chaotic, I would ask the wine steward if a bottle from the Canaletto could be available the next night. That would give him time to obtain a bottle more easily.

If he can do it that night, it could be left to him to offer the extra service.

You can always stop by and ask before service, or in the afternoon if you want something from another venue. I'd write down the wine, my name, and table # (assuming fixed seating) and drop the note off before dinner. If I didn't drop the request of ahead of time, I'd suck it up and pick from the list the first night and make my request at the end of the meal. I'd still write it down though.

Excuse me for maybe sounding a bit harsh on this, but isn't this part of their job description? Why is this any different than sending someone to deliver room service? You have paid for the cruise, you are paying service charges or gratuities, and in many cases, we supplement these with cash. If this is what you want, ask for it and they will tell you whether or not they can deliver.

p.s. The steward does not have to run, he can walk ;)

Excuse me for maybe sounding a bit harsh on this, but isn't this part of their job description? Why is this any different than sending someone to deliver room service? You have paid for the cruise, you are paying service charges or gratuities, and in many cases, we supplement these with cash. If this is what you want, ask for it and they will tell you whether or not they can deliver.

The waiters and wine stewards have a fair number of guests to serve. If they're running hither and yon to fetch things, then other guests will suffer.

I've had wine stewards try to talk me into buying more wine because they don't want to go get my wine from the MDR when I'm dining in Canaletto, pinnacle and the tamarind. Generally I do remember but the odd time I can't find them to tell them. Yes, it's their job, but so is bringing wine within the MDR. Sometimes that's to much to ask.

I'm not looking to start a war here or make anyone go out of there way for something unreasonable. I was asking a general question about that one wine. I can hoof my own butt up to Canaletto if that's the only place it's offered or can drink something else. We'll be dining in Canaletto at least one night during the 7 days. I love reds but don't like merlot, leaving only cab for my dinner option. Not a huge deal if I only have that to drink. Worse things have happened.

I'm not looking to start a war here or make anyone go out of there way for something unreasonable. I was asking a general question about that one wine. I can hoof my own butt up to Canaletto if that's the only place it's offered or can drink something else. We'll be dining in Canaletto at least one night during the 7 days. I love reds but don't like merlot, leaving only cab for my dinner option. Not a huge deal if I only have that to drink. Worse things have happened.

If you want something off the list, yet available elsewhere, just do your best to make advance arrangements. A little heads up will go a long way. You'll be fine. Don't worry.

Does anyone know if you can order the Canaletto wines in the MDR? There is a montepulciano that I happen to like on their list that qualifies and I would like to be able to drink it with a MDR dinner. For what it's worth, I'll be on the Westerdam on December 12. This is not our first rodeo on HAL but is the first time with the drinks package.

I ran into that on our last cruise on the Oosterdam. The SBP reds are a very limited selection. Seems that there was a Beaujolais available for the SBP in Canaletto that wasn't on the MDR wine list. It was in all the bars and Canaletto but not in the MDR. Didn't make a lot of sense to me. Talked to the wine stewards in the MDR and Canaletto. The next day is was available.

Dan

I ran into that on our last cruise on the Oosterdam. The SBP reds are a very limited selection. Seems that there was a Beaujolais available for the SBP in Canaletto that wasn't on the MDR wine list. It was in all the bars and Canaletto but not in the MDR. Didn't make a lot of sense to me. Talked to the wine stewards in the MDR and Canaletto. The next day is was available.

Dan

That sounds great Dan. And thanks POA for the suggestion. We are fairly low-maintenance travelers and don't like to annoy folks - except each other.

That sounds great Dan. And thanks POA for the suggestion. We are fairly low-maintenance travelers and don't like to annoy folks - except each other.

Vic,

The MDR and Canaletto winse stewards were very nice about it. They agreed that it didn't make a lot of sense to have that wine available everywhere but in the MDR. They didn't seem to have any problem making it available. Like you, we're low maintenance. Shopping for the DW and my teak chair on the Promenade, good food, open bar and good service is all we ask.

Dan

Edited by dogo88

If you want something off the list, yet available elsewhere, just do your best to make advance arrangements. A little heads up will go a long way. You'll be fine. Don't worry.

Don't think you can make advance arrangements for a glass of wine. If it was brought down after lunch could be a tad off by main dining...

:)