Traveling to Italy

BirdTravels

This is a tough one! We were booked on our first cruise to the Med. 2 weeks after 9-11 happened. My dh was dead against continuing with our plans. The airlines were offering a refund, but the cruiseline, Celebrity, was not. My sister and her husband were also coming with us and they were still going. We ended up going but the ship was a lot less crowded then it was supposed to be. It was a wonderful cruise and we felt safe in all the ports including Rome.

We are booked on the Epic this coming April. My dh would rather not go and I keep going back and forth about it. We don't have air booked yet to Barcelona. My argument is that anything could happen anywhere and when your number is up, it's up! Still, I am a bit on edge about it.:confused:

It boils down to this - - if you are apprehensive, scared, etc. then stay home.

You are not a coward or anything like that if you choose not to go.

All of the public manifestations of fear, and the like are exactly what the cowardly bastards who perpetrate terrorism love to read. For that is part of their mission.

Four of us are booked on the 13 January Epic sailing. We have tours booked in Rome and each and every other port Epic will touch. Our plans will not change unless NCL changes Epic's itinerary for the voyage.

Doesn't make me John Wayne of Clint Eastwood. Just makes me - - me. And I respect anyone who opts to alter their plans. It is a personal choice.

Thank you, NJ Fred. :)

I figure the odds are low (I know, tell that to any victim of terrorism) that something would happen at the place I'm at in the couple hours I'm there on a port day. Am I just never going to go to Europe again for the rest of my life? Terrorism is never going away. This is the world we live in. Nah, I just go with it. That said, it is a strange feeling to think back on our Baltic cruise in September and being relatively close to where this stuff is happening. And I'll never forget the heavily (like I've never seen) armed military guard patrolling outside the Copenhagen Airport.

I don't think I'd avoid any European cruise destinations any more than New York or DC.

Having lived with Terrorism in my country all my like - they name is the clue "Terror"

Terrorists want to scare you - stop you doing normal things. The best wait to defeat them is carry on as normal, report any suspicious. Always be aware of whats around you and carry your phone.

Absolutely.

:cool: I will not live in fear, However unlike here in West Virginia where my Glock never leaves my side, I will keep my eyes open on my March cruise on Epic while in Rome...

:mad: Hopefully most of these scumbags will have been given a dirt knap by the time my cruise rolls around..

Edited by warriorking

I am in Paris now, been here 3 days.... My favorite city, and wanted to go before I go on tomorrow's cruise on the Epic out of Barcelona. I was a little apprehensive, but decided that if I didn't go then the terrorists win. I'm so glad I did. I have never felt safer. There are police every where, roving patrols everywhere with machine guns. Anyhow who is thinking about canceling dont be discouraged.

Edited by hartwickds

Besides DH, travel is the big love of my life. We board the Epic for a dream cruise in two weeks. I'm fighting claustrophobia just to deal with the long flights, and now anxiety is setting in, but nothing will deter me.

On the morning of 9/11, my family in New York was heading to the airport to visit San Diego before my wedding there on 9/15. That afternoon, instead of winging west, they looked out their windows and saw the towers burn and fall. In spite of great efforts, they never could get a flight when the metro airports reopened on 9/15. So, a small wedding became much smaller, and neither my parents, siblings or relatives were present. Others couldn't or wouldn't fly. I understand each person has a different risk level.

Those *&^%$ haven't stopped me from travelling since. I have a long list of dream destinations and I'm working it.

I wish safe travels for everyone.

OT - hello Granny Di. Remember Randy and Marion from Azamara about two years ago? We loved the Jewel so much that we're going all the way with the Haven on this trip.

Take care, everyone,

Marion

Sure do remember you. We took your advice on the Ryndam and loved it. Too bad it was sold. Our next cruise is the Pride of Hawaii and then Breakaway to Bermuda again. Don't plan to sail Azamara again. Going to southern Caribbean on the Navigator in 2017. Still traveling as much as possible just not in the mood for the hassle of Europe. Lived in Europe so have seen almost everything...will just take a break for awhile.

I think pick pockets in some of the ports will be your biggest problem...saying that....my wallet was lifted as I left the Breakaway in NYC.

I know everyone is worried about terrorism... What happened in Paris was tragic. There were about 150 innocent people killed. My heart breaks for their families. Ask yourself however in the United States how many people are killed innocently every year by gun violence? More than 30,000 people! Yet we are all immune to it. So for all that are contemplating not going or canceling your trip consider this fact. When you travel remain vigilant and stay away from large crowds such as concerts, stadiums, etc. Don't let the terrorists win!

Edited by hartwickds

Besides DH, travel is the big love of my life. We board the Epic for a dream cruise in two weeks. I'm fighting claustrophobia just to deal with the long flights, and now anxiety is setting in, but nothing will deter me.

On the morning of 9/11, my family in New York was heading to the airport to visit San Diego before my wedding there on 9/15. That afternoon, instead of winging west, they looked out their windows and saw the towers burn and fall. In spite of great efforts, they never could get a flight when the metro airports reopened on 9/15. So, a small wedding became much smaller, and neither my parents, siblings or relatives were present. Others couldn't or wouldn't fly. I understand each person has a different risk level.

Those *&^%$ haven't stopped me from travelling since. I have a long list of dream destinations and I'm working it.

I wish safe travels for everyone.

OT - hello Granny Di. Remember Randy and Marion from Azamara about two years ago? We loved the Jewel so much that we're going all the way with the Haven on this trip.

Take care, everyone,

Marion

Marion, we also have our dream cruise planned for January on the Epic. Please let us all know how your trip goes. Extra security lines, what you did on shore,did you feel safe, etc. Thanks! And safe travels!

OK, Blondie 1746, will do.

So, far, it's just the usual travel annoyances - changed over from Lufthansa due to the long-running strike and now United has us on an extremely tight connection, travel companions have to cancel....

Epic's homeport of Barcelona is a fabulous city and well worth the extra days before and after the cruise. And Italy? What's not to like?

So many places to see and so little time ...

Marion