Live from the Star Princess 5-night Cabo 11/20-25

Pam in CA

I was on the same as Pam. There was a formal night. The tendering at Cabo was chaotic but I missed most of it by getting there early. I disembarked to go into San Pedro around 8:45 and there was a 20 minute line.

On these short cruises (I am still aboard for the 4 day that follows) they default you to a self-carry group. But all you have to do is call the front desk and you will get luggage tags, as I will get for my Sunday debark.

Increased my record to 8-1 lifetime in the Yes/No game ...

Edited by Wehwalt

Formal night was the first full sea day... the day after embarkation. We chose to have dinner in the Crown Grill so I don't know how formally people dressed.

Most people self-disembarked which meant that generally, disembarkation was much slower than normal. I saw lots of kids and families struggling with their bags.

ad029a34964bc7dc2a04aed40695682f.jpg

Most people self-disembarked which meant that generally, disembarkation was much slower than normal. I saw lots of kids and families struggling with their bags.

ad029a34964bc7dc2a04aed40695682f.jpg

I don't really care for this type of disembarkation. While my cruise was an anomaly with the CPB computers going down, it is rather ridiculous to assume that passengers, based on the location of their cabin, make their post cruise plans. If in my home port, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

And by the way, the staff at the front desk claimed that elite status does not offer priority disembarkation. I checked on their website again since I have been home and sure enough....it was clear as day in black and white.

Priority Disembarkation

If you have independent onward travel you may contact the Circle Host towards the end of your voyage to state your request to disembark with your preferred disembarkation group. If you'd like to linger onboard longer, we'll be more than happy to give you a later disembarkation group. If you'd like to be one of the first groups to disembark, we'll gladly accommodate - the choice is yours!

My daughter was in E510 and I was in E508. Obstructed view that weren't very obstructed. I liked the cabin layout with the bed against the wall rather than under the window. Our issue was noise, mostly from the Atrium. We heard pounding from the bass, very loud DJ announcements and shouts, some nights until midnight. My preferred location is towards the aft and you can bet I won't book sort of mid-ship again. They were convenient to the stairs and elevator.

We are booked in E507 for an Alaska cruise next June. I believe this should have the same view as E508, on the opposite side of the ship. Glad the view is not that obstructed. I have enjoyed reading your review.

Welcome home, Pam. :) I have done several of the short cruises out of LA, and I didn't notice an increase in weird wardrobes, but maybe I've just been lucky! ;) We were on the Ruby two weeks ago, and both my DD and SIL got their coke tumblers, no problem. I think there must be some problems with communication on the Star. That's a shame. We were on the Star last summer to Alaska and the service was outstanding. In fact, I saw our Star waiter working on this recent Ruby cruise and spoke to him. He indicated (not in words, exactly, but more in tone) that he preferred working on the Ruby. (Isn't the Star the ship one lady calls "the sausage ship" for its unimaginative buffet menu?) Oh well, you can put this one behind you and board a new ship VERY soon where you will have outstanding service and fascinating dinner conversation! LOL. :D

My DH and I are on the Star for an Alaska cruise, late May 2016. His first cruise - and how it goes will determine if there is a second one for him. I choose this ship because of it's size (DH gets motion sickness at the drop of a hat so we got right in the middle hoping that would reduce our risks). I also hope that at that time of year, there will be less children. Regarding it being called "the sausage ship" :eek: neither my husband or I eat sausage so I hope there is something else.

My question, do you have much of a switch out of Management staff within a 6-7 month period? I hope that the staff have some switch out between now and then given what I have read. I think that the Management sets the tone of the way the ship is run so I believe it starts with them.

Also, Pam. I think you mentioned it in an earlier post, but was the ship in overall good condition? I know it is an older ship, but did it look like it had been refreshed recently? In our Alaska cruise we are in a room a few doors down from yours, but 2 floors up so there should not be much of a sound problem.

I have done all my earlier cruises with my mother (83), and will be leaving next week on another, but we always share a room. The cost of the single supplement is just to much for me.:)

Contracts are not for a standard length of time. Captains, Staff Captains, Maitre D's change but are not necessarily at the same time. Some Captains sail only certain itineraries, for instance. They all get time off so you might have a Captain or staff for just a couple of months. The Staff Captain I sat with at the MTL is joining the Golden Princess next year.

I have to admit that I don't notice wear and tear as much as perhaps other people. Ships are never perfect and neither is my home. :) I did notice that some of the padded loungers in the Conservatory were looking worn but that's all I noticed. They were scraping and painting throughout the ship.

My DH and I are on the Star for an Alaska cruise, late May 2016. His first cruise - and how it goes will determine if there is a second one for him. I choose this ship because of it's size (DH gets motion sickness at the drop of a hat so we got right in the middle hoping that would reduce our risks). I also hope that at that time of year, there will be less children. Regarding it being called "the sausage ship" :eek: neither my husband or I eat sausage so I hope there is something else.

My question, do you have much of a switch out of Management staff within a 6-7 month period? I hope that the staff have some switch out between now and then given what I have read. I think that the Management sets the tone of the way the ship is run so I believe it starts with them.

Also, Pam. I think you mentioned it in an earlier post, but was the ship in overall good condition? I know it is an older ship, but did it look like it had been refreshed recently? In our Alaska cruise we are in a room a few doors down from yours, but 2 floors up so there should not be much of a sound problem.

I have done all my earlier cruises with my mother (83), and will be leaving next week on another, but we always share a room. The cost of the single supplement is just to much for me.:)

Staff are changing and rotating through all the time. There is no way to predict when this will happen. You may be onboard and nobody changes or they may have 100 new staff come.

100 is pretty much the max at any given time.

I'm confused. (not hard to do)

How is this your fiftieth cruise?

Leave on the Star Dec 22 for around the horn.

Enjoy the cruise on Dec 3.

My guess would be that Pam has cruised a lot over the years.....??

Edited by ar1950

My wife and I were on the Star in October, in cabin E425. This was stated to be a fully obstructed oceanview. However, we were very pleased to find that we could actually see the ocean and land over top of the tender, outside our window. The one problem that we did encounter was the constant banging of doors. We originally thought we were located above the washrooms on Promenade deck, but finally figured out that we were over one of the doors leading out onto the exterior promenade deck. Constant banging, day & evening - beware.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My family and I are booked on this cruise for next Dec (5-night to Cabo).

Couple of questions:

For the 1 formal night did they do the 50yrs menu or captains gala? (I would assume next year it would probably be Capt Gala since 50yr celebration would have ended.)

And for overnight in Cabo, can you go back and forth all night or tenders stop at a certain time?

Thank you.

Hello,

My family and I are booked on this cruise for next Dec (5-night to Cabo).

Couple of questions:

For the 1 formal night did they do the 50yrs menu or captains gala? (I would assume next year it would probably be Capt Gala since 50yr celebration would have ended.)

And for overnight in Cabo, can you go back and forth all night or tenders stop at a certain time?

Thank you.

We were on the 5 day Cabo after Pam's (11-29 to 12-4) and the formal night menu was the 50th Anniversary menu. I would agree with you and I doubt that it will still be around until next December.

Cabo tenders stopped at 1 am as Pam said and started back up at 6am.

Link to Patters if you are interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2af8swggsq20xat/Star%20Princess%20Patters_11-29-15%20thru%2012-4-15.pdf?dl=0

Edited by ar1950