Live from the Star Princess 5-night Cabo 11/20-25

Pam in CA

Thanks for the info Pam. Looking forward to the rest as we will be on the next Cabo overnight on the Star on the 29th of November. Possibly kind of a concern about all of the kids on board. Hopefully it is because this week is Thanksgiving week and school is out for part of the week....?? Maybe? Glad to hear that the captain announced some ground rules from the get go for your cruise. Hope it is another wonderful cruise for you.

BTW, very cool about the MT lunch.

Edited by ar1950

Boarded the Star Princess this morning. Check-in didn't start until 11am which is a lot later than I've seen before. The lounge that was exclusively Elite on my two previous cruises earlier this year and was packed to the gills then was for both Platinum and Elite and was less than half full. Boarding didn't start until Noon. My luggage was delivered before 12:30pm.

I made my way to my cabin to drop off my carry-on and then to the Sanctuary. No one was there and I had to wait about ten minutes. When the attendant showed up, he insisted that if you booked for the cruise, you had to pay for five full days, counting embarkation day. I told him that he was nuts that this was a 5-night/4-day cruise. There was no way I should be charged a full day that couldn't be used. I insisted he get his supervisor who eventually showed up. The supervisor insisted that the Sanctuary is always charged for the whole cruise, including embarkation day which counts as a full day. Of course, he was lying as I've never experienced that. After being there for half an hour waiting and then arguing, he finally offered to book specific loungers for my daughter and I and we'll be charged only for the half or full day we use them. So, a heads-up if you plan to book the Sanctuary for the whole cruise.

I had pre-purchased a soda card/sticker and stopped at the Passenger Services Desk to inquire where my Coke cup was and when it would be delivered. Turns out that they are not giving out any Coke cups any more. If you purchase the soda & more package, you get an insulated glass. Another heads-up.

There are over 500 kids onboard. The Captain made remarks just before the Muster procedure and one thing really stood out. I've never heard this before. The Captain said that parents must be aware of where their kids are at all times if they are not in the kids program and that they are fully responsible for the behavior of their children. Wow! YES!

For the first time in several years, I've been invited to the Most Traveled Lunch. Yay! It's Tuesday, the day we sail from Cabo back to LA at 1pm. The lunch is at Noon. Wonder if the Captain will be there!

I'm getting my 50th cruise credit on this cruise. They delivered a beautiful flower arrangement to my cabin. Apparently, I'll get a pin at the MT lunch. The flowers are nice but the rest, big whoop.

Overall impression is that these are not the usual Princess passengers. I've taken several 4-day cruises and they were nothing like this. Board shorts and tank tops in the dining room for dinner, saw a woman far too old (I think she was in her 50's) for this type of clothing wearing tight shorts and a skimpy crocheted bra top. The "girls" were hanging practically to her waist. In an open crochet bra.

Remind me never to book another cabin above Crooners. Waaay too much noise.

Pam they are lying I got the coke tumbler last week. As experienced as you are and you book a room above Crooners.

Pam,

I hope that you have a wonderful time on your cruise! Congrats on 50 Credits!!!

Please take a picture of the MTP menu, it will give me something to strive for! I have heard that they are fancy, elegant and personalized.

If you happen to hear the stats for the cruise such as # of people at each level, and the cutoff number of days for the MTP, I would be curious to know for the fun of it.

I hope that it ends up being warmer than you were expecting... We were pretty hot in coastal SOCAL for the last couple of days!

ENJOY!

Happy Cruising! :D

Mark

Pam, as all the others of have said, thanks for the info and perspectives.

we wish you a safe and memorable cruise…

the sanctuary probably is a great plan …can you imagine …sitting poolside….MARCO …POLO ?

Congrats on your 50th cruise [emoji2] if you've traveled solo then you've paid the equivalent of 50 single cruises [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pam, doesn't always travel solo, if fact earlier this year I was on the Crown the same time as Pam who was cruising with her DD.

Srpilo

It's her 50th cruise credit, not her 50th cruise. There's a difference. I suspect that since she often travels solo (and gets two cruise credits as opposed to one for each cruise) she's got a way to go before the actual 50th cruise. :) (Yes, apparently I am an expert on all things Pam. ;) LOL.)

She deserves the 50 credit.After all the money that Princess makes from we solos.:eek:

I am cruising on the Star on Nov. 29th with 84 yr young dad. Hope we don`t have a lot of kids on board. I thought they would all be back to school the week after Thanksgiving.

We always sail in December and the length of the cruise, this appears to be the determining factor on how many kids you get. Seems as though the shorter ones all have kids -- combination of pre-school aged kids and those either willing to take their kids out of school for a short trip or maybe year around / home schooled kids. Either way, those short ones do attract the young ones. We try to stick with the longer cruises now, but sometimes the pricing on those short cruises are so hard to pass up.

Paulo is a personal friend and is now back home in Portugal enjoying a time away from the ship.. Did he do his "Cat" impression for you?

YES he did!!!! If you contact him please tell him the people from Pittsburgh, PA said "WOW"!! What a great guy. Do you know if he'll be going back to the Star? We are booked on the Royal for Nov. 2016 it would be great if he were there. Thanks for your post.

Carol

We were just on the Star earlier this month ... on that one where the debarkation was a mess. We, too, had a lot of children onboard -- 250, I believe, but they were behaved so maybe something in the cruise in between ours and yours may have prompted the captain to speak up.

We also were on this same cruise, but with our 6-month old. Families with kids actually receive a letter from the captain the first day welcoming the children on board and laying out the "ground rules" for how they (and we parents) are expected to behave. It was actually friendly and very well written, and should help those with older kids know what's expected.

... at least for the 5% or so who actually read what is given to them. ;-)

We were on the Star last weekend also. Not many kids on our cruise so didn't hear about that; but the captain did make a stern announcement about smoking in non-smoking areas, said anyone caught would receive a heavy monetary fine...

Too bad people don't just follow the rules!

Pam, doesn't always travel solo, if fact earlier this year I was on the Crown the same time as Pam who was cruising with her DD.

Srpilo

I haven't been very live as I've been vegging in the Sanctuary. :(

While the cruise has been what I expected -- a short getaway -- there've been some definite missteps that reflect on the management of the ship. I'll go into detail when I get home. None are earth shattering or ruined my cruise but if I were a newbie and thought this was a typical Princess cruise, I'd be disappointed.

My 50th is cruise credits. For the last several years, even when cruising with my daughter or sister, we all have separate cabins. :) But, keep in mind that most of my cruises are longer than seven days.

I haven't been very live as I've been vegging in the Sanctuary. :(

While the cruise has been what I expected -- a short getaway -- there've been some definite missteps that reflect on the management of the ship. I'll go into detail when I get home. None are earth shattering or ruined my cruise but if I were a newbie and thought this was a typical Princess cruise, I'd be disappointed.

Certainly not what we like to hear, especially since we leave on the Star for the same itinerary this coming Sunday. :confused:

Hi, Pam. About Sanctuary. Can't argue with your experience, but the only time we got a break on a full cruise booking was a 10-night and we only had to pay for 9 days (it was at the old $15 price point). The embarkation afternoon was considered free and there was no tea/snack service that day.

On 7-nighters, we were always charged 7x$15.

Our latest cruising on Regal this month, it would have been the same thing (a 5 and a 7). But we only booked Sea Days.

It would be interesting to know the official corporate policy if there is one.

Ask your MD what he knows about it. The MD oversees the Sanctuary.

Hi, Pam. About Sanctuary. Can't argue with your experience, but the only time we got a break on a full cruise booking was a 10-night and we only had to pay for 9 days (it was at the old $15 price point). The embarkation afternoon was considered free and there was no tea/snack service that day.

I think Pam (with her 5-figure post count) probably knows what's she's doing and thus gets the best service.

Ask your MD what he knows about it. The MD oversees the Sanctuary.

I'll bet Pam knows who oversees the Sanctuary and everything else, for that matter.

I did read it wrong, disregard......

On 7-nighters, we were always charged 7x$15.

The way I read her post was that it's a 4 night cruise and she was going to be charged for 5 and not 4, which according to her and your post would be a charge for an extra day. Unless I read it wrong.

Edited by Steelers0854