Asking to switch cabins - OK or Bad Move?

MisterFidgetpants

On another social media group someone said they were approached and offered money to switch rooms, but declined to do so.

I am really surprised at the responses of the group which is overwhelmingly bashing the person for being, uncaring, having no good reason to keep their room, keeping a family apart, lots of "karma will get you" sort of garbage, etc.

One of the top things I have learned on this website is to choose your rooms carefully and for many, many reasons like not being underneath a late night party spot or under the pool.

How do you feel about this; is it OK to ask other guests to switch, or is it just a Bad Move?

We were almost going to do this 2 years ago on the Breeze.:o

We were travelling with our best friends, and wanted connecting balconies on the Lido.

Well, low and behold, there was one in between us that was taken.

I actually posted on CC and asked opinions. Some were kind and nice, and some were just downright rude.:rolleyes:

IF we had to ask, we would have offered them compensation, or ordered them something from Bon Voyage. And if they said no, that would have been fine too. I wouldn't have bashed them.

Luckily, that cabin eventually opened up and there was no need for it anymore.

Phewwwwww!!!!:D

Wow.....I painstakingly choose every cabin for every cruise we sail.

How would it be MY fault that this family did not? I would also think it "rude" for anyone to even ask someone to change cabins. So....my answer is NO. For people to bash the person that said no, I find incredibly offensive and I also find it very hard to believe that this 2 cabin family could not find 2 cabins together anywhere on the ship. THEY are the ones that should have changed cabins.

How would it be MY fault that this family did not? I would also think it "rude" for anyone to even ask someone to change cabins. So....my answer is NO. For people to bash the person that said no, I find incredibly offensive and I also find it very hard to believe that this 2 cabin family could not find 2 cabins together anywhere on the ship. THEY are the ones that should have changed cabins.

My thoughts exactly.

I think it's always okay to ask someone to switch (You didn't say if it was the cruise line or the parties wanting the room that offered money). Cruise lines do it more often than you would think. At least on Princess I have found it fairly common. Of course my offers were actually Move Over Offers; asking if I would give up my cabin and sail at a later date.

That said It's okay for people to refuse the request. Without knowing more details (Where were they being asked to move to, was it the same cabin category, etc) they may have wanted that particular cabin for a good reason; near elevator, mid-ship location (Less movement), the "deal" wasn't a good deal to them, or they may just have been ornery.

If a party really wants/needs to be next to each other then they need to book early enough to pick their cabins and mark no upgrade.

That is the trouble with posting all your personal info on other sites. No one needs to know your name and your exact cabin number unless you really want them to know it.

We also pick our cabins carefully and I'd only switch if I was getting the same sort of cabin or better in the same sort of location.

Edited by riffatsea

On another social media group someone said they were approached and offered money to switch rooms, but declined to do so.

I am really surprised at the responses of the group which is overwhelmingly bashing the person for being, uncaring, having no good reason to keep their room, keeping a family apart, lots of "karma will get you" sort of garbage, etc.

One of the top things I have learned on this website is to choose your rooms carefully and for many, many reasons like not being underneath a late night party spot or under the pool.

How do you feel about this; is it OK to ask other guests to switch, or is it just a Bad Move?

To be fair, you need to tell the whole story... The couple knocked on the cabin door and asked if this poster would be willing to switch cabins with them because their children were in the cabin next door and wanted to be near them in addition to offering them money (amount unknown) ... The poster said no because she had already unpacked...

What I personally asked, and so did others, and the poster did not respond, was what cabin did the couple have? I also said depending on the answer, and if the other cabin wasn't horrible I would have done it especially since it was the first day of the cruise...

The majority of the responses were that most would have switched depending on location of the other cabin... I know I would have gladly switched (and not taken any money) ..

Just another reason why I stay away from most "social media" groups.

To be fair, you need to tell the whole story... The couple knocked on the cabin door and asked if this poster would be willing to switch cabins with them because their children were in the cabin next door and wanted to be near them in addition to offering them money (amount unknown) ... The poster said no because she had already unpacked...

The original post said they wanted to switch so that the kids could be next door; not that they were in between them and the kids originally. We don't know how far apart they were; if it was 1 cabin or 20.

"So I am on board the Valor about to depart and someone knocked on my door and offered me money to switch rooms with them so that they could be next to their kids. I said no because I've already unpacked. But, can you switch rooms like that?"

Perfectly stated. I agree 100%.

The original post said they wanted to switch so that the kids could be next door; not that they were in between them and the kids originally. We don't know how far apart they were; if it was 1 cabin or 20.

"So I am on board the Valor about to depart and someone knocked on my door and offered me money to switch rooms with them so that they could be next to their kids. I said no because I've already unpacked. But, can you switch rooms like that?"

Yup, exactly.. That's why I said it depended on where their cabin was but I would probably have done it ... Especially if I was the cabin in-between... no way would I want to be that cabin after saying NO !!!! lol

I think it was a lot of nerve on the part of the folks that knocked on the cabin door to ask about the switch!

This is not just changing seats on a plane for a few hours,but involved changing a cabin that's been reserved and paid for months before this. It involves much more and the family could have booked cabins closer together if that was important to them! My husband would never have agreed to a last minute switch like that for any reason! I thought this was a conversation on line before the cruise and not in the hallway on the ship!!:eek:

There was a thread a few more maths ago when a party was called by the cruiseline to switch cabins with compensation. Identical cabin, same floor, just on the other hallway. OP got lambasted.

I personally wouldn't ask someone to switch cabins, but I wouldn't have a problem with someone asking us to switch cabins with them. If the cabins were equal (size, balcony size, location, etc.), we'd be happy to switch with them to make their cruise better. I don't see how moving to an exact cabin a few doors down would negatively affect our experience. If the cabin/balcony was different or the location undesirable to us, we'd politely decline. Money wouldn't come into play in the decision. Money wouldn't be necessary, if the cabins were equal. OTOH, if I wanted a lesser cabin, I would have saved the money on the cruise in the first place.

If it were before hand, and for a good reason, I probably would.

But there's no way that I'd meet someone in the hallway and swap with them..... I feel like there are too many things that could go wrong.

What if there were issues at GS with swapping/explaining/waiting in lines, accidentally getting charged for someone elses stuff, keys failing and having to explain things over and over..... To me it seems like a hassle I don't need on vacay!

Ditto...my answer would be no just because I preplan so carefully and just figure that everyone should be that diligent. If you need to be next to someone then plan very early in advance or work around it. These are the cabins you booked and paid for so be happy with your choice or find other cabins before you cruise.

I would not have the nerve or gumption to even ask, its a little rude as most people would be settled in by that time and it is a huge inconvenience imho...:o

I'd do it it meant an upgrade and a better cabin location. I spend a lot of time picking the perfect cabin and sometimes have to stalk Carnival.com to check for a preferred cabin to open up and make a change. There are some special cases I would consider such as if it's a handicap or disabled person, but even then I would still want a cabin I like.

I see no reason why someone can't ask but if the answer is "no thank you", move on with a smile. Absolutely no reason to bash someone for not granting a request.

It would have been interesting to read those responses.

Edited by Who Cares?

I've posted about this before on here, but my sister was asked to switch her balcony several years ago. Carnival called her. It wasn't once she was onboard. She did it gladly.

At the end of the day, it's your choice and nobody should make you feel bad if you say no. In my sister's case it was really no big deal. The cabin they asked to move her to was 3 doors down and didn't pose a risk of noise or anything. We are both extremely picky about our rooms. Luckily for the family that wanted to be together, the switch wasn't an issue.

There was a thread a few more maths ago when a party was called by the cruiseline to switch cabins with compensation. Identical cabin, same floor, just on the other hallway. OP got lambasted.

Even that can make a difference. As an example, say you booked a port balcony for a sailing out of Miami. Great views of million dollar homes during sailaway from your balcony. Then being asked to switch to starboard just before sailing so your views from the balcony would be of cranes and shipping containers. I would tell them not only no but hell no.

Even that can make a difference. As an example, say you booked a port balcony for a sailing out of Miami. Great views of million dollar homes during sailaway from your balcony. Then being asked to switch to starboard just before sailing so your views from the balcony would be of cranes and shipping containers. I would tell them not only no but hell no.

Agreed!!!!! Also....

Maybe you want your bed next to the balcony.

You want to be near the elevators or stairs.

You don't want to be next to connecting cabins.

You don't want to be under or on top of a club, bar, etc.

There are many reasons that pax choose the cabin that they do. Not many people randomly pick a cabin. As I said before, THEY should be the ones to move if they want to be next to loved ones.

I like to think that we would move anytime for other people that where together . Maybe because it is just the two of us it would not be a big deal . :) Also does the cruise line not have the right to move us for any reason at anytime ? I do not know but I think this is what they can do .

I like to think that we would move anytime for other people that where together . Maybe because it is just the two of us it would not be a big deal . :) Also does the cruise line not have the right to move us for any reason at anytime ? I do not know but I think this is what they can do .

Maybe they can come up with any excuse to just move people, but it would be bad practice to do that any time, because another party who didn't plan properly wanted what they wanted. I mean that's obnoxious and overboard IMO.

Like I said, my sister gladly moved but they didn't spring it on her after the cruise started and the room she was moved to was in an equally good location and suited her needs. So while I agree there's nothing wrong with being nice, the cruise line shouldn't just do it willy nilly. And they won't. My sister was thanked. Overly thanked as the family was very appreciative. Apparently their TA was supposed to book rooms next to each other and didn't. Which is another reason why you should always check your own reservation. I don't care how good a TA or PVP is supposed to be, nobody is going to care about your reservation as much as you.

Edited by cruizinisthebest