Dining Reservations Refresher

roothy123

Why can't they make them on their own? As far as I know ANY booked passenger can make dining reservations on their own. They just have to have available their booking number.

As to adding them to your reservation, it depends on if you are both in the same category or not. For example, if you are in a higher category that can book reservations before they are eligible, just make your reservation. Don't say "yes" to sharing because then they will pair you up with strangers.

When they are eligible you can add them to your reservation. If you are in the same category, then you can just ask for a table for 4 when you book the reservations. You will need their booking number.

If this is puzzling to you, email me and I'll say more ...

Mura

They are in the same category, I was intending to make the reservation online so is it possible to request a table for four and then add them to it, I have their booking details. I assume the window opens at midnight EST so that will be 5am for me.

Then you should be good to go since you have their booking details. Just ask for a table for 4 ... and hope to be awake at 5am! I am not convinced that you need to be online as soon as possible but that is always safer.

(Again, cabin category counts. If you are in a PH or above, I've never had a problem getting what I want. If you are in a lower category, you don't know what is still available, so then the early bird gets the reservation.)

Good luck!

Mura

Yes - on longer cruises (or on B2B cruises) they want you to book your second set (or your later) reservations after a certain date. This is presumably to leave the dates open for others booking later?

I saw this for the first time recently.

Sounds fair. I just wonder what the 'date' is.

Just to add a little to what Mura says, if you want to be at the same table with your friends, there is a tab that says "Dine with another booked party." When you go into the dining reservations section of My Account, the first selection you're asked to make is "Select Dining Preference." You're offered 3 choices: Dine at a Private Table, Dine with Another Booked Party, or Dine with Other Guests. Select the middle one, and then you'll be asked for the other party's booking # and first and last name. Then hit the "Invite" tab. I'm not sure how it works after that, as we're traveling alone and I wasn't able to give it a try. I assume that if you're both in the same booking category, something will show up on the other person's My Account Site for them to accept your "invitation." However, I really don't know. I also don't know if you'll be seated at a separate table (assume so) or if your group could be made a part of a larger, shared table.

I always book on the first day I can, but I have to say that when I did it around 10 after midnight instead of in the morning, there didn't seem to be substantially more spaces available than when I went back the next day (to change one time and also snoop around). I don't think there's a big rush to book, but of course I wouldn't recommend waiting too terribly too long unless you don't care who you eat with (friends, strangers, etc.) or which days/times. Of course, if you're in a suite, you will probably have PLENTY of choices, as you get to book first, and often have more slots to reserve (on a longer cruise).

On Marina, there are choices for 6:30, 7:30, 8 and 8:30; not sure if there was a later time, and not sure if the smaller ships have the same time slots (assume so). You can go back later to see what you reserved, and you'll also get emails telling you what you reserved. Unless they've changed it, you'll also get invitations on your door telling day, time and venue.

If you want to change a reservation, you can go back and do that just by trying to make a new one. It will tell you if you're trying to make more than you are allowed, and ask if you want to replace the one you made before.

If you want to do part "Dine alone" and part "Dine with other guests" keep in mind that since you make this decision as the first step, all reservations from then on will be what you chose unless you go WAY back to change that first step. We enjoy a mixture of dining alone and dining with others, so that's what I usually reserve.

In choosing nights and times, I think about whether it's a sea day, whether we'll be in port during dinner (occasionally we like to eat out in that case, or sightsee late), whether there will be a scenic sailaway I don't want to miss (Malta, Venice, NYC, Lisbon, etc.) and how tired from all-day sightseeing I may be.

wally_bushy - I assume the "later date" is the date you would normally be able to book if you were just taking that particular segment. I forget when that is, and it depends on your stateroom category, but the very latest might be around 40-50 days before the start of that segment. For our cruise (just one segment, 18 days), I found the date we could book on "My Account" several months ago.

Edited by roothy123

This is our first O cruise and we are travelling with friends who are on a different booking reference, when I make our reservations in five days time I want to book a table and then add our friends to it (they realise they won't be able to make reservations of their own). How does that work, do I select "sharing" or "non-sharing"?

You choose Non sharing

make sure you have their booking number ready when you go to reserve the restaurant

after you choose NO to sharing & the time, date etc it will have a link to ADD A GUEST just put their booking number & surname in the form

both of you should get a confirmation email

Just to add a little to what Mura says, if you want to be at the same table with your friends, there is a tab that says "Dine with another booked party." When you go into the dining reservations section of My Account, the first selection you're asked to make is "Select Dining Preference." You're offered 3 choices: Dine at a Private Table, Dine with Another Booked Party, or Dine with Other Guests. Select the middle one, and then you'll be asked for the other party's booking # and first and last name. Then hit the "Invite" tab. I'm not sure how it works after that, as we're traveling alone and I wasn't able to give it a try. I assume that if you're both in the same booking category, something will show up on the other person's My Account Site for them to accept your "invitation." However, I really don't know. I also don't know if you'll be seated at a separate table (assume so) or if your group could be made a part of a larger, shared table.

I always book on the first day I can, but I have to say that when I did it around 10 after midnight instead of in the morning, there didn't seem to be substantially more spaces available than when I went back the next day (to change one time and also snoop around). I don't think there's a big rush to book, but of course I wouldn't recommend waiting too terribly too long unless you don't care who you eat with (friends, strangers, etc.) or which days/times. Of course, if you're in a suite, you will probably have PLENTY of choices, as you get to book first, and often have more slots to reserve (on a longer cruise).

On Marina, there are choices for 6:30, 7:30, 8 and 8:30; not sure if there was a later time, and not sure if the smaller ships have the same time slots (assume so). You can go back later to see what you reserved, and you'll also get emails telling you what you reserved. Unless they've changed it, you'll also get invitations on your door telling day, time and venue.

If you want to change a reservation, you can go back and do that just by trying to make a new one. It will tell you if you're trying to make more than you are allowed, and ask if you want to replace the one you made before.

If you want to do part "Dine alone" and part "Dine with other guests" keep in mind that since you make this decision as the first step, all reservations from then on will be what you chose unless you go WAY back to change that first step. We enjoy a mixture of dining alone and dining with others, so that's what I usually reserve.

In choosing nights and times, I think about whether it's a sea day, whether we'll be in port during dinner (occasionally we like to eat out in that case, or sightsee late), whether there will be a scenic sailaway I don't want to miss (Malta, Venice, NYC, Lisbon, etc.) and how tired from all-day sightseeing I may be.

wally_bushy - I assume the "later date" is the date you would normally be able to book if you were just taking that particular segment. I forget when that is, and it depends on your stateroom category, but the very latest might be around 40-50 days before the start of that segment. For our cruise (just one segment, 18 days), I found the date we could book on "My Account" several months ago.

Just realized that I said something misleading. If you want to switch among the 3 dining preferences of dine alone, dine with another booked guest, or dine with other guests, you can do that on the same screen that displays open days and times at each restaurant. You don't have to go back anywhere. If you don't like the times for a particular restaurant on a particular day and time, you can try switching back and forth between the dine alone or dine with others (unless, of course, you want to dine with friends).

We are on a single 18 day cruise in a PH on Marina. I was able to make 7 of the 8 bookings (2 at each speciality) at the embarkation - 75 day point.

Bit strange to have one blocked, but as I said, more curious than worried, as I know I can order to the room:).

Many thanks roothy123 and LHT28, very useful info, should make the process smoother knowing what I am supposed to do. Will probably try at about 8am so not too long after the window opens. We are in B1 stateroom so hopefully still a good choice of reservation times available.

Many thanks roothy123 and LHT28, very useful info, should make the process smoother knowing what I am supposed to do. Will probably try at about 8am so not too long after the window opens. We are in B1 stateroom so hopefully still a good choice of reservation times available.

Book something close to the time you want if your preferred time is not available

then once onboard go to the reservations desk & ask to change it ...maybe not the 1st day though;)

Usually they have most times available for the lower CAT to book we have not had a problem sometimes you may need to be a bit flexible

Edited by LHT28