"Enhanced Wifi" - Constellation

jules815

The Celebrity website says that Constellation's wifi is enhanced. Is the connection pretty good? Not looking to stream video or Skype, but I will need to check my email daily and update social media sites for my business.

Depends on how you define :"pretty good"?. You can't stream, but can get email. Often very slow and sometimes not working at all. They have been promising a new system and I'll jump for joy when they implement it.

Edited by Orator

It seems to vary I guess, My experience was great.

I was on the Connie Transatlantic this spring, and every day was able to use Remote Desktop Connect to log in to my home/business computers and run quickbooks and other programs. It felt nearly as fast as if I was in the office.

I connected during the day most times, and I'd say 95% of the time I was able to log in as needed. The whole way across the Atlantic.

2 years ago on Connie in the Caribbean, I could hardly download emails.

Edited by cle-guy

• 3 weeks later...

Came from a 11/28/15 to 12/7/15 cruise and had a 240 minute package.

Used their computers in their computer lounge on 9 and this is my experience.

It takes three minutes to log on, five minutes to get google.com, takes another five minutes to get my aol.com, and anther five minutes to load my incoming aol mail.

Everytime I did each of these steps, the browser would freeze and after another two minutes of watching a screen that would not move, I would have to hit the Enter button. Also, the computer would restart itself during my session and so, I would have to start the process all over again.

The computer support tech would apologize to me, and give me some free minutes and would tell me to write to Celebrity to improve their computer network system as he was powerless to get any change from the corporate office.

I have been on 8 cruises on Norwegian and never experienced this amount of network slowness ever.

My suggestion is to get the unlimited package as you will be spending many frustrating parts of your cruise vacation at their computer lounge.

Came from a 11/28/15 to 12/7/15 cruise and had a 240 minute package.

Used their computers in their computer lounge on 9 and this is my experience.

It takes three minutes to log on, five minutes to get google.com, takes another five minutes to get my aol.com, and anther five minutes to load my incoming aol mail.

I was also on this cruise. I used my MacBook pro, in a Celebrity Suite on Deck 9 via WiFi, didn't use the computer lab computers at all.

I logged in daily via Remote Resktop Connect for Mac to my work computers even while at sail, and not in a port, and was successful in getting my daily work done via RDC. Also downloaded about 100 emails a day using Mac's Mail program, and used iMessage to text/communicate with friends and staff during my work sessions. I did my online banking with Chase and Wells Fargo with no issue. I did have some issues using AT&T's website to check my cellular plan usage and gave up, though I was stuck in an AT&T Password reset circle.

My initial login/set up was a bit painful, but once I had myself set up, I had very few issues. The issues I was having were more related to my having prior logins in the system already so I had to set up new user ID other than use my typical one.

I used my 240 minute package, and another 90 minute package offered as a suite perk.

Oh well. I'm the OP, and that doesn't sound "enhanced" at all.

I'll be in one of the aft SS's, with unlimited internet using my tablet. This will be during a college spring break week, so maybe if I take care of what I have to do in the early morning hours, around 6-7am, like I did on my last couple of cruises, it won't be too painful for me.

Oh well. I'm the OP, and that doesn't sound "enhanced" at all.

I'll be in one of the aft SS's, with unlimited internet using my tablet. This will be during a college spring break week, so maybe if I take care of what I have to do in the early morning hours, around 6-7am, like I did on my last couple of cruises, it won't be too painful for me.

WOW,

After reading some of these posts and then seeing you'll be aboard for a Spring Break cruise I'm betting you'll need a vacation when you return.

WOW,

After reading some of these posts and then seeing you'll be aboard for a Spring Break cruise I'm betting you'll need a vacation when you return.

Yeah, this will be my second time cruising with my daughter during college spring break. Did it last year on RC Liberty of the Seas...didn't think I'd be doing it again! :rolleyes: For this year she was supposed to do a Carnival cruise with some friends, but their plans fell through, so mom to the rescue! And not to get even more ot, but this is the reason I was really happy to see that SS's will have access to MC. We were in a suite last year on Liberty, and that concierge club was a great place for me to escape to, and it was practically empty; even during evening cocktail hours. I'm sure the higher tier cruisers avoid weeks like this. Honestly though, except for the very crowded bars and pool, I didn't see anyone behaving badly or getting too out of control. They were all polite toward me, and the group that sat with us in the mdr, even all dressed up on formal night.

My daughter's a senior in college now and she's our youngest, so this will definitely be my last spring break cruise!

If the internet isn't too bad, I'll probably do a live report. :eek:

Cheers!

There is nothing in the press releases that suggests the Connie is installing the much-faster O3B satellite service quite this early. What RCCL and O3B have published suggests that the fiber-speed internet service will not be installed in most of the fleet until this Spring.

Just off the Connie yesterday and though I had no business requirements, I found the wifi to be very good. With only one exception did I have a bit of difficulty in connecting.

I only used it in my cabin on deck 11. Could that have had an effect?

In the Ninth floor computer lounge on the Constellation and both were miserable on my cruise, although I did see people using their own laptops around the ship and seem to be having no problem.

I would suggest bringing your own laptop and not a tablet, as you have more computing chip power and that might help getting connected faster.

It usually took me ten minutes or more each day just getting connected to my Aol mail account.

The funny thing at St. Croix, I bought a two dollar cold beer at a small liquor store, got free wifi, which took me less than a minute to get access to my emails. In fact, half the customers there were ship's crew members using the wifi to make international phone calls to their countries.