Economical transportation from Seward to Whittier

beachfollower

Planning a Princess southbound cruise but will be spending 2 nites in Seward prior. What is the most economical transportation from Seward to Whittier? We plan to take the train down from Anchorage. Broke my arm after a wonderful land tour in Alaska earlier this year and never got on the ship....hoping for a better experience in 2016!

This site will give you options.

http://www.anchorage.net/blog/post/how-do-i-get-tofrom-whittier-or-seward/

The train trip between Anchorage and Seward had great scenery although it parallels the highway for much of it so you’d be driving along the same route. There are many places of interest along Turnagain Arm where both the train and highway are and you would miss opportunities to stop along the way if you took the train. Seward is also a place where a car is a good idea. There are transportation options in Seward but at more of an inconvenience.

We’d drive from Anchorage and return the car in Whitter.

This site will give you options.

http://www.anchorage.net/blog/post/how-do-i-get-tofrom-whittier-or-seward/

The train trip between Anchorage and Seward had great scenery although it parallels the highway for much of it so you’d be driving along the same route. There are many places of interest along Turnagain Arm where both the train and highway are and you would miss opportunities to stop along the way if you took the train. Seward is also a place where a car is a good idea. There are transportation options in Seward but at more of an inconvenience.

We’d drive from Anchorage and return the car in Whitter.

This post isn't accurate. At least 1/2 the Anchorage/Seward rail trip, has DIFFERENT (and in my opinion, superior) scenery compared to the Seward Highway. The Arm is the same but past Portage goes to the other side of the "hill".

This post isn't accurate. At least 1/2 the Anchorage/Seward rail trip, has DIFFERENT (and in my opinion, superior) scenery compared to the Seward Highway. The Arm is the same but past Portage goes to the other side of the "hill".

I agree there is a nice scenic section between Portage and Moose Pass that you wouldn't see by car.

Is your suggestion for the poster to take the train in their situation?

Edited by Glaciers

I agree there is a nice scenic section between Portage and Moose Pass that you wouldn't see by car.

Is your suggestion for the poster to take the train in their situation?

Nope- :) They are looking for transportation between Whittier and Seward. Great information offered above to select from.