Mamma Mia Timing

LuCruise

Question #1

Anyone know when Mamma Mia actually ends (respective to when it starts)?

The reason I'm asking is because when booking it lists it as 5pm - 7:30pm.

So I booked dinner in the MDR at 7:45pm.

No complaints from the system and this is how it shows on my calendar.

However, when I look at a current cruise compass, it lists the same show as from 5 - 8pm.

So which is it? If the show ends at 8pm, we obviously won't get to the MDR for 7:45pm.

Question #2

Also, most likely, it'll just be me and my DD going and we'll meet DH and DS in the MDR for dinner. Will they seat them and let us arrive when we get there, which won't be much after them (i.e. we'll come as quick as we can after the show but based on above, it may not be 7:45pm)? Dinner is already late (for our kids) so I don't want to push it out any later than I have to.

Edited by LuCruise

Question #1

However, when I look at a current cruise compass, it lists the same show as from 5 - 8pm.

So which is it? If the show ends at 8pm, we obviously won't get to the MDR for 7:45pm.

Question #2

Also, most likely, it'll just be me and my DD going and we'll meet DH and DS in the MDR for dinner. Will they seat them and let us arrive when we get there, which won't be much after them (i.e. we'll come as quick as we can after the show but based on above, it may not be 7:45pm)? Dinner is already late (for our kids) so I don't want to push it out any later than I have to.

Last month Mammia Mia lasted 2 1/2 hours which included a 15 minute intermission. Being a little late for dinner is no big deal. I've seen people come in 1/2 hour late and still go served.

Last month Mammia Mia lasted 2 1/2 hours which included a 15 minute intermission. Being a little late for dinner is no big deal. I've seen people come in 1/2 hour late and still go served.

So if 2.5 hrs including intermission, then that's more along the lines of ending at 7:30pm.

Question #1

Question #2

You may leave early, it's long and boring.

I have to disagree, it's one of the best shows we've ever seen on a cruise. It beats the socks off of Hairspray and Chicago. We did a B2B so we saw it twice. Both times it was a full house and saw very few people leave during the show. Even after the intermission 95% of the people came back, very few empty seats.

It's not for everyone, but I have to disagree as well as personally I find it anything but boring.

It's my favorite musical and I've seen it many times. Funny enough though I can't remember how long it actually runs, plus didn't know if they shortened or modified the cruise ship version.

Strange though the discrepancy between my calendar entry and the cruise compass. But as long as they honor our dinner time and we don't have to end up waiting (long) for a table. We really prefer the MDR to Windjammer dinner.

When I was first on Allure the timing of Chicago was very similar and I wanted to eat in the MDR that night. Here is what we did, if it helps you great, if not, be sure to post and tell me about it. :rolleyes:

The night before we told our waiter we were doing that show and would come directly to dinner, but not to hold up the rest of the table waiting for us. If needed we could skip appetizers. We got to the show early, got seats on the aisle in the balcony. We watched and enjoyed the show. As soon as it was over, we got up, walked directly to the dining room avoiding high traffic areas and arrived at dinner right at the normal time. Some may think that is too stressful of an endeavor for a vacation, but it was worth it to us. Allure and Oasis cruises are aided by just a minimal amount of planning and knowing your way around.

When I was first on Allure the timing of Chicago was very similar and I wanted to eat in the MDR that night. Here is what we did, if it helps you great, if not, be sure to post and tell me about it. :rolleyes:

The night before we told our waiter we were doing that show and would come directly to dinner, but not to hold up the rest of the table waiting for us. If needed we could skip appetizers. We got to the show early, got seats on the aisle in the balcony. We watched and enjoyed the show. As soon as it was over, we got up, walked directly to the dining room avoiding high traffic areas and arrived at dinner right at the normal time. Some may think that is too stressful of an endeavor for a vacation, but it was worth it to us. Allure and Oasis cruises are aided by just a minimal amount of planning and knowing your way around.

Thank you. We are on MTD but I will still tell them the night before that we'll be coming straight from a show. And if they'll let them, DH and DS can be seated at our booked time and we'll be shortly behind if we are at all late (as most likely DS will have no interest in seeing Mamma Mia).

But it looks like I solved the mystery. I looked again at the cruise compass and their performance starts at 5:30pm whereas ours starts at 5pm. Not sure it its normal to have the show times vary from cruise to cruise.

• 1 month later...
Thank you. We are on MTD but I will still tell them the night before that we'll be coming straight from a show. And if they'll let them, DH and DS can be seated at our booked time and we'll be shortly behind if we are at all late (as most likely DS will have no interest in seeing Mamma Mia).

But it looks like I solved the mystery. I looked again at the cruise compass and their performance starts at 5:30pm whereas ours starts at 5pm. Not sure it its normal to have the show times vary from cruise to cruise.

what was the name of the mystery dinner that you attended. We did the one on FOS and it was great. Will be on the Allure this October. thanks

what was the name of the mystery dinner that you attended. We did the one on FOS and it was great. Will be on the Allure this October. thanks

She is not talking about a "mystery dinner."

She was confused about timing, but figure it out. That was her "mystery."

:)

She is not talking about a "mystery dinner."

She was confused about timing, but figure it out. That was her "mystery."

:)

Yep. "My mystery" was solved. Sorry for any confusion. Gave me a chuckle though.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

My daughter is 25 and a theatre snob. She went to Mamma Mia as they say "kicking and screaming" but loved it.

Our experience in onboard shows is that the current cast is a big part of it. The cast can change every few months, so a review that is several months old can be wrong.

We saw Saturday Night Fever twice in 6 months, the first time "Johnny was excellent, second time was just OK. First Annette was mediocre, second time was fantastic.

It's a free show on a cruise ship, Some have been better than others, but we usually go to just about every show that doesn't conflict with dinner. We almost always have first seating.

Another thought would be to take a look at the menu, and have those who skip the show order your soup/salad, and tell your staff you are in the show, I bet they know when you'll be there.

Edited by N41EF

Totally agree with your comment. I've seen Mamna Mia 23 times over many years and each actor brings something different to the same character. And definitely some are better than others.

Great idea about checking out menu before. Our DS has stated that he doesn't want to go so it'll be DD and me meeting them there after the show. And since it'll be a late dinner for our kids, they can start the ordering. Thanks for the idea.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk