Cruise vs. AI

readyforacruiseagain

There are so many ways to vacation. We really enjoy renting a house for a couple of weeks and just living in a foreign country. We also enjoy cruising...unpack once, don't think about where to eat dinner, etc. We used to enjoy the AI option...some are outstanding with toddlers and kids...drop the kid and enjoy the day...etc. Some are great if you're single, dating, young married.

I don't think any one is an overall winner for everyone.....it really depends on you and what you want out of a vacation.....the cost and the availability of the option where you want to travel.

As far as cruises, Celebrity offers a very competitive mass market cruise line experience. You can find similar negative comments about any of the cruise lines...they have all cut corners. Celebrity tends to make changes with no advanced notice and there is more inconsistency than other cruise lines...and that triggers some of the longer negative threads you'll find here....but overall, for the price, it offers a great cruise. Of course there are other more expensive options....and less expensive ones as well....you sort of get what you pay for. That's also true renting houses or picking an AI vacation.

I read all those 5 star reviews on TripAdvisor as well and I just don't get it. The kiss the ground when you landed I can relate to because it was the first vacation that I was actually ready to be home early. It became a joke when we would see a cruise ship, I would say, "we're over here". When we got to the Atlanta airport we ate at Five guys burgers and fries like it was the best meal we had ever ate in our lives if that tells you anything.

LOL...I'm SO glad it wasn't just us! I just didn't "get it." Yeah, there's a beach & the room was nice. AND? The food, entertainment and gym were awful...at a highly rated 5-star resort?? Oh, and yes, I can certainly relate to the Five Guys part. We did Italian take-out as our first meal upon returning & I nearly hugged the owner. As soon as I heard a hurricane was coming & they may evacuate (oh, yes, to a high school gymnasium...kill me), I was on the phone w/the airline & they were able to get us out the next day, before the hurricane. My happiest moment in those few days was when I knew we'd be leaving. I think I actually sang "Happy Days Are Here Again" while dancing in the lobby....LOL.

OK, maybe I'm being extreme, but I had such high expectations that the place just didn't live up to. Just out of curiosity, I just checked the rating on Trip Advisor & it's still #1 in Playa Mujeres with a 4.5 star rating. Still scratching my head...

Maybe it is Mexico and expectations. Tripadvisor yes can be hit and miss. We were in Cancun and were too disappointed with the specialty restaurants for the most part (some exceptions). Conversely I found the buffet quite good. In all honesty a Mexico resort does not have an international staff, nor the same distribution channels.

Alcohol is a big thing and cost on cruises. Now Celebrity does offer the plans and that does add a big cost. I hated in the past the nickle and diming and yes want a drink or three every day. Corkage used to be $10 and now is $25!! Specialty restaurants are increasing in price every year it seems.

There really seems to be a hate for AI by some. I think cruises are much better and did offer a better bang for the buck back when we started in 2004, but now the prices are pretty much the same.

A few additional points.....

Went to Jamaica last year and I was hesitant based on their reputation in the 80's (Hedonistic, staff hitting on any attractive female, going offsite.....). We got so lucky. As said the resort was comparatively empty and outside quiet evenings (as we like them), uninspired lunches and no late night food, it was great.

Specialty restaurants at AIs do not have a surcharge.

Yes entertainment is much worse, but that is not what we look for when on vacation.

Not going on a trip to be a drunk, but drinking is a fine line and just really hate the idea of seeing $100/day (a couple having 5 drinks each) added to the bill.

Kid clubs I can't imagine being better then on a cruise ship. Again the international staff and facilities in many AI's are minimal at best. However now I see places such as Beaches that are geared to families, which probably are on par or better (but again the price point has increased).

We are just back from yet another wonderful 10 days on the Celebrity Equinox.

Were there things that could have been done different or better? Sure. But for the total $'s spent, things to do, or 'not' do ;), our time on 'any' cruise, well, almost any, at least on Celebrity, is head an heels above time spent at an AI.

As mentioned, liking to do different things in different venues are what makes the world go round.

Specialty restaurants at AIs do not have a surcharge.

True but in my experience (4 different AI resorts, under 3 different corporations) the good in just the main dining room of every ship I've been on was far, far better than what was served in the "specialty" restaurants at the AI's I've visited. So, lack of surcharge didn't mean much to me. ;) YMMV

Edited by waterbug123

True but in my experience (4 different AI resorts, under 3 different corporations) the good in just the main dining room of every ship I've been on was far, far better than what was served in the "specialty" restaurants at the AI's I've visited. So, lack of surcharge didn't mean much to me. ;) YMMV

Agree 100%.

We also did AI's in Puerto Vallarta. Sort of got bored and things got testy there. Been cruising on X and are starting to get bored with that. Would love to find a nice AI on Barbados and give it a try.

Edited by diesel1973
mistake

We have been to one AI and it was over Xmas holiday about 13 years ago. It was an adults only property in Puerto Aventura Mex. (close to Playa del Carmen) the price was about $450 per night. Even though they claimed premium booze, it was not. It was fun, but at times boring. Food was MDR quality if you compare with a cruise. Not too bad, not too good.

For our current 5 day we have AQ with best package at $420 per day. Includes a true premium bev package, tips, internet and $300 back in credit. Since I have cruised under these circumstances previously , I can honestly say that the cruise will be hands down more fun and a better value and the food will be far superior that that AI. Not to knock the experience, as we did enjoy, but I just prefer cruising and in this case a much better value!

We've done both a few times. They are not the same kind of vacation at all. I think if you want to explore one place more than you can in eight hours while worrying about getting back to the pier on time, an AI can do it for you. We have only stayed in Dreams AI resorts. The food was good, some meals were excellent, but service was really s l o w. Much slower then any MDR and a fraction of the people to serve. AI - the frozen drinks were light on the alcohol - on a cruise that has never been the case for me. AI - there wasn't much to do except sit around the pool or beach if you weren't out on an excursion - cruises totally win out in this category. AI - club level not worth the price you pay at all in my experience - depends on the cruise line I guess but I have always felt it worth the cost when I was in a suite but then I always upgraded at the last minute and got good deals.

Worst vacation was a cruise to Bermuda - but I'm still taking cruises. Dreams in Costa Rica is one of the best vacations I have ever taken. Some of that was the resort - but mostly it was the opportunity to explore that amazing country at my leisure. I have booked travel back to that area, but this time we're doing a self catering vacation. I find, to be honest, that self catering vacation rentals to be the best bang for my buck. I might not be comfortable doing that if I didn't speak the language though, and not possible if you'd like to see more than one area or country.

Edited by Rou-Dyliq

The best thing about cruising is that you can 'test' various Caribbean islands and then if you really like one you can re visit for a longer vacation.

I must admit I like being served and made to feel special, which I get in the MDR on a Celebrity cruise ship.