When did Margaritaville become a specialty on Escape?

dna529

Glad I was able to satisfy your earlier questions.

The ball is NCL's court. They are not impressing me much today, but I will give the Resolutions agent time to follow up and respond, as he stated he would. Please also note, at no time did I demand, threaten, get loud, or argue. The agent was very nice, just ineffective and, apparently, not fully aware of communication others at the company had been relaying to guests.

I hear everything you're saying, and understand your point of view. Our opinions and approaches just differ - and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Personally, I want absolutely nobody to have access to Margaritaville that's not paying the new a-la-carte prices. I was actually disappointed that they made the decision to allow those with UDP and SDP access. Why? Because I'm hopeful that the policy change completely backfires on them - that a feature they once touted as new and exciting becomes nothing more than a ghost town in a prime location on their newest ship. That would hopefully encourage them to reevaluate their new policy, and either reverse it or implement a different pricing structure (I keep saying a $7 or under cover charge would be viewed favorably by me).

If, as you suggested, everybody that booked the cruise prior to the change has free access, we're going to slowly rip the Band-Aid off over an entire year. I fear we'll all suffer as a result.

BTW, not that it really matters... but I'm traveling in a group of 10 in four state rooms. We all booked prior to the change, and will be sailing in January. We all received the SDP & UBP promos, and subsequently still have the option to dine freely at Margaritaville if we choose to use one of our meal credits (at least the first 2 adults in each room). I suspect we won't cancel any of our specialty dining reservations to accommodate this.

Enjoy your cruise!

I hear everything you're saying, and understand your point of view. Our opinions and approaches just differ - and there's nothing wrong with that. :)

Personally, I want absolutely nobody to have access to Margaritaville that's not paying the new a-la-carte prices. I was actually disappointed that they made the decision to allow those with UDP and SDP access. Why? Because I'm hopeful that the policy change completely backfires on them - that a feature they once touted as new and exciting becomes nothing more than a ghost town in a prime location on their newest ship. That would hopefully encourage them to reevaluate their new policy, and either reverse it or implement a different pricing structure (I keep saying a $7 or under cover charge would be viewed favorably by me).

If, as you suggested, everybody that booked the cruise prior to the change has free access, we're going to slowly rip the Band-Aid off over an entire year. I fear we'll all suffer as a result.

BTW, not that it really matters... but I'm traveling in a group of 10 in four state rooms. We all booked prior to the change, and will be sailing in January. We all received the SDP & UBP promos, and subsequently still have the option to dine freely at Margaritaville if we choose to use one of our meal credits (at least the first 2 adults in each room). I suspect we won't cancel any of our specialty dining reservations to accommodate this.

Enjoy your cruise!

You enjoy too. I've enjoyed the discussion. If I receive any follow up information I will share.

you know U.S. law supersedes any companies contract, right?

Maybe that's not true in Canada. Who knows, who cares?

Escape is registered in the Bahamas, so US law has no authority...

Oops.

I hope NCL nickels and dimes themselves right out of business!

they have a long way to go before it comes to that - we were thinking about not buying a FCC on this cruise and go back to Royal, a line we love. But HOLY COW, the prices RCI has on their website for the Allure are CRAZY - we sailed on her a few years ago in a Junior Suite, and basically, the price we paid for a Junior suite is what they want for an Inside cabin now, even with their "BOGOHO" rate. And NO perks like NCL offers! :eek: I guess RCI is filling cabins up, no problem. I have no idea what I am going to do with my RCI future cruise thing.

Bottom line, the margaritaville thing does irk me, and I won't support the change by simply not eating there and filling out the comment card with my thoughts, but SO FAR the changes haven't been enough to make me NOT sail with NCL - YET! Although the moment their prices and perks become comparable to Royal, I will switch lines in a heartbeat.

Personally I think its a lot to do about nothing. I don't think I've seen one thread about how the price of the Thermal Spa has gone up. My wife and I payed $119 in June of 2011........now its $199 for a 7 day. The price of everything has gone up......with the exception of gas.

Personally I think its a lot to do about nothing. I don't think I've seen one thread about how the price of the Thermal Spa has gone up. My wife and I payed $119 in June of 2011........now its $199 for a 7 day. The price of everything has gone up......with the exception of gas.

Is the Spa worth $199? Is that per person or per couple?

We won't talk about how prices were raised due to the high cost of gas yet it hasn't come down any since the gas prices have. I just mentioned that to my Limo Driver and he laughed!

On another note......I actually for see in the future them no longer allowing water and soda to be brought on board. That would gain them a LOT of revenue if they stopped that. And when that happens....I can imagine the number of pages that thread will have!

Harriet

Bottom line, the margaritaville thing does irk me, and I won't support the change by simply not eating there and filling out the comment card with my thoughts, but SO FAR the changes haven't been enough to make me NOT sail with NCL - YET! Although the moment their prices and perks become comparable to Royal, I will switch lines in a heartbeat.

So in summary, with your staying with NCL, NCL made the correct decision and added value. They kept prices low, and allowed those that wanted to try Margarittaville the opportuntity to get in. In other words added value and did not lose a customer, or as to continue the Seinfeld theme, "Not that there is anything wrong with that"

I am sure Charlie at NCL in a cube farm in Florida will happily read your comment and check a grid that says "other complaint" to properly register it.

By the way, all the hand ringing over a third rate touristy hamburger joint facinates me. Nothing special, just go to your local Applebees for the same experience.

Edited by MrMan

This one won't surprise me as almost all the other lines are going that way at some point or another.

Water will be first, as the latest cute alcohol sneak trick is to buy replacement caps for water bottles on ebay/amazon and fill em with vodka, etc... Carnival has already gone this route, BUT in a nod to customer service (are you watching NCL?) offers cases of water at shoreside prices if you preorder, which is actually more convenient.

We won't talk about how prices were raised due to the high cost of gas yet it hasn't come down any since the gas prices have. I just mentioned that to my Limo Driver and he laughed!

On another note......I actually for see in the future them no longer allowing water and soda to be brought on board. That would gain them a LOT of revenue if they stopped that. And when that happens....I can imagine the number of pages that thread will have!

Harriet

So in summary, with your staying with NCL, NCL made the correct decision and added value. They kept prices low, and allowed those that wanted to try Margarittaville the opportuntity to get in. In other words added value and did not lose a customer, or as to continue the Seinfeld theme, "Not that there is anything wrong with that"

I am sure Charlie at NCL in a cube farm in Florida will happily read your comment and check a grid that says "other complaint" to properly register it.

By the way, all the hand ringing over a third rate touristy hamburger joint facinates me. Nothing special, just go to your local Applebees for the same experience.

I guess they kept prices low :( Not from what I am seeing.

Applebees is not the same as Margaritaville. Tsk Tsk Tsk!

I guess they kept prices low :( Not from what I am seeing.

Applebees is not the same as Margaritaville. Tsk Tsk Tsk!

I'm sure you're aware that Margaritaville on the Escape is the same as Margaritaville on land. People can't be going to the land based restaurant for their food. It's just not that good. They go for the atmosphere. Which is what is missing on the Escape, along with some key menu items.

Edited by CruisinHarvey

This one won't surprise me as almost all the other lines are going that way at some point or another.

Water will be first, as the latest cute alcohol sneak trick is to buy replacement caps for water bottles on ebay/amazon and fill em with vodka, etc... Carnival has already gone this route, BUT in a nod to customer service (are you watching NCL?) offers cases of water at shoreside prices if you preorder, which is actually more convenient.

Since you know about Carnival's water situation, can you imagine the hoopla that will happen if/or when they opt to start charging for Guy burgers:eek::eek:

They have talked about going the Johnny Rockets route at times - small cover charge, just to manage load on some ships. But from what I understand, the demand isn't there.

Since you know about Carnival's water situation, can you imagine the hoopla that will happen if/or when they opt to start charging for Guy burgers:eek::eek: