When did Margaritaville become a specialty on Escape?

dna529

Yeah but in all honesty I don't think $5 is enough. I would be happy with a $20 fee. It really isn't fair to everybody when people are already to line up for the free. I tried to tell people on the ship that the pay restaurants are actually better, better quality food and much tastier. I'm serious people are all about the free.

It it's technically NOT free, as we have paid for all of that food in our cruise fare and gratuities

And while you may be happy with a 20.00 fee, you have to remember that a lot of people have different opinions. Especially those traveling as a family, where that 20 fee adds up quickly to an 100.00 meal, plus the service charge. Try to see things from others points of views and at least have a little understanding that not everyone is in your same point of view or financial situation

Like someone said earlier, it's the cruise lines fault for not planning this better and I think everyone has a right to be upset, as this was advertised as an included venue and now, this really limits our included venue choices and is not what they advertised

To simply say "people are all about the free" well I say "people are all about getting what they PAID for in their cruise fare "

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by aubreyc1988

Pardon my ignorance.....but what is the big draw for this place anyway? A chain restaurant, on a cruise ship.....I guess Im just not seeing the attraction. I do admit, when looking for some new summer drink recipes online I stumbled across some good ones which I now realize came from this chain :) Those are tasty. :D I may have also been at one of these places at the port in Ocho Rios, but honestly can't say it was because it was a "Margaritaville", it was just because it was there and close to the ship upon our return from an excursion. I must be in the minority not to appreciate the large draw to this type of venue onboard a ship. And at a la carte pricing.....if enough people don't go, well, they wont last long I suspect. Then again, why are there so many McD's etc when you travel in other countries?? So maybe it will work out well for NCL, as well as those who wish to dine at a Margaritaville while cruising. Personally though, I couldn't see forking out that kind of money while onboard for a burger and fries. Has nothing to do with the dollar amount but everything to do with not understanding the attraction or seeing the value. Especially when so many other choices abound. But that's just me I guess.

I agree with you completely. When I am on a cruise ship, the last thing I want to eat is the kind of fare on the Margaritaville menu. YUCK! I'm still mystified that cruise ships serve burgers and fries and hotdogs at all. I just can't understand who (other than a child) would want to eat that stuff on vacation. To me, what I eat on vacation should be a TREAT - something special that I can't easily get around home, something that the chefs onboard put some effort into such high quality soups, beautiful salads and amazing seafood dishes, delicate tea sandwiches, or a sumptuous steak or lobster or stone crab claws. To me, if you can get it in a fast food place, it shouldn't be served on a ship. JMO.

Is it Ncl fault that 4000 passengers can't rub two brain cells together and figure out that they can go other places to eat? Let's see if your model is correct, let's see if these 4000 passengers still go there when they got to pay a little bit. Let's see if it's actually about location or if it's just about the free lol.

Keep these insulting posts up and you'll be enjoying another time out.

As it is, my cousin who is a very young widow with 3 kids has promised her kids that they can go to Margaritaville on our cruise. They're very excited about it, and now it's going to cost her $60 for a lunch that she has already paid for OR she can not take them and they'll be really disappointed. She's now paying $56 a week more for DSC.

How would your cousin's kids even know about Margaritaville much less want to eat there? These are children, right? Doesn't this place cater mainly to adults? But also, I don't know of many kids who care about eating - they usually don't want to waste the time when they could be on the water slides or doing just about anything else. My guess is the kids will take one look at the long line for Margaritaville and demand they go to the buffet instead.

Cancel?

It makes no sense for anyone to cancel over a $5 hamburger and Ncl knows that. Airfare? Hotels? Etc must be considered

But when Ncl pulls this nonsense they need to offer an Obc to pax who did book when it was a complementary venue. $5 Obc per pax would be appropriate. Small change yes but still should be done and honestly since Ncl has perfected this bait and switch under fdr....I'm surprised they haven't instituted a policy like I'm suggesting

What a pax should then do is.....

Tell the hotel director

Tell guest services

Write it on the comment card

Email Ncl directly

About all the changes btw

Etc etc

Then do as I'm doing....have an open mind to other cruiselines

Heck I want Rock bottom prices and if Ncl can provide it great....but....if I have to pay a higher price point for Ncl I might as well pay it to rccl etc and see what they can offer. I'm no fool

Edited by luvtheships

How would your cousin's kids even know about Margaritaville much less want to eat there? These are children, right? Doesn't this place cater mainly to adults? But also, I don't know of many kids who care about eating - they usually don't want to waste the time when they could be on the water slides or doing just about anything else. My guess is the kids will take one look at the long line for Margaritaville and demand they go to the buffet instead.

Maybe you haven't been in a Margaritaville before? They're in touristy places and full of kids. Universal Studios has one, Las Vegas, Niagara Falls, etc.

I've been to the Margaritaville in Las Vegas. It was way too loud and I like loud music, but this was way over the top, overpriced mediocre food (I would have rather had a Fatburger), a lot of drinking/partying, packed to the gills and I didn't see one person under 21 (assuming no one had a fake id). I'm sure it will be a little different on a cruise ship then it is on land. I know some love it, but certainly not my cup of tea. Edited by NLH Arizona

OMG now everybody is going to email. The whining is actually picking up longer this goes on lol. I thought it would die down. Then I guess forgot the mo of the whiners complain complain complain, create multiple threads on the same topic, until Ncl gives in.

I didn't complain on here. I asked for an email address. The person I asked responded and I thanked them. I haven't stated my opinion at all

Please relax. You are WAY out of line sir!

I've been to the Margaritaville in Las Vegas. It was way too loud and I like loud music, but this was way over the top, overpriced mediocre food (I would have rather had a Fatburger), a lot of drinking/partying, packed to the gills and I didn't see one person under 21 (assuming no one had a fake id). I'm sure it will be a little different on a cruise ship then it is on land. I know some love it, but certainly not my cup of tea.

There generally aren't tons of kids on the strip in Las Vegas, so that is why. Look at their locations in theme parks and you will see a totally different demographic. They have clowns and people on stilts making balloon animals for kids, etc. The kids love it, so it's a draw for them.

Yeah but in all honesty I don't think $5 is enough. I would be happy with a $20 fee. It really isn't fair to everybody when people are already to line up for the free. I tried to tell people on the ship that the pay restaurants are actually better, better quality food and much tastier. I'm serious people are all about the free.

You would be happy with a $20 ?

I have a bridge for sale...interested?

No, I meant yours specifically (I think hers was meant in a more punitive nature to take up a seat without revenue if you are on the UBP. Speicifcally, designate some tables that can't be serviced right now as a bar area with limited or no menu. This would increase the revenue from the area (UBP aside) and take some of the pressure off the finances, perhaps leading back to a cover charge for the dining area portion.

This has the added benefit of adding a seaside beverage area to the options.

To give credit where credit is due, it was mollydogsmom suggestion to just have a drink and nothing to eat. And yes, she had a great idea.

There generally aren't tons of kids on the strip in Las Vegas, so that is why. Look at their locations in theme parks and you will see a totally different demographic. They have clowns and people on stilts making balloon animals for kids, etc. The kids love it, so it's a draw for them.

I agree. It was a great dinner spot for us at Broadway on the Beach at Myrtle - mom and dad had cocktails, and kids had their kid food and it was relaxed so no feeling out of place when the giant hurricane pouring tequila in the 12 foot blender show was actually louder than my kids :)

I am surprised by how many people think it's ok to change the terms advertised before sailing and after payment. I am very sympathetic to having an outdoor eating option for families included, near the pool, with 3 at sea days on the itinerary, now require upwards of $60-$75 for a family of 4 - pushing families on budgets to have to go to the buffet. I'm sure there are many people like me who are buffet adverse and liked the idea of an included outdoor sit down option. I don't mind paying - but would've liked to have known that upfront.

No, I meant yours specifically (I think hers was meant in a more punitive nature to take up a seat without revenue if you are on the UBP. Speicifcally, designate some tables that can't be serviced right now as a bar area with limited or no menu. This would increase the revenue from the area (UBP aside) and take some of the pressure off the finances, perhaps leading back to a cover charge for the dining area portion.

This has the added benefit of adding a seaside beverage area to the options.

That is indeed what I was thinking. We are beyond final payment so our options are limited. Might try to see if I can go the whole cruise without any extra expenditures. I hear people saying we have the freedom to chose to pay or not but we already had the choice to wait or not! This is all about an additional revenue stream.

Is Margaritaville the only burger place on the Escape? I took a look at the deck plans and I might be overlooking it but I don't see a poolside grill anywhere. I don't think I've ever been on any ship, on any cruise line, that didn't have a complimentary outdoor grill either poolside or on a sports deck.

Charging for a specialty venue is one thing, but eliminating the complimentary venue altogether just seems wrong.

I said the exact same thing. This is the "best" ship and they have taken away free choices.. The away ships have Flamingo in Miami and Uptown for NYC. They both have free asian.

Take a smaller class ship and they grill poolside. They have free asian.

So they lose two free choices.

We do the speciality dining and Food Republic looks great and it is understandable the prices.. But Margaritaville? They are priced higher for sides then Cagneys..

I unmistakably hope that the material I'm about to present will open some eyes and minds. It is worth noting at the outset that there are two challenges we must face if we wish to repair the impertinent world we have inherited from NCL. The first challenge is to lead it out of a dream world and back to hard reality. This is only slightly less difficult than the second challenge, which is to convey to people the knowledge that I, hardheaded cynic that I am, yearn for a time when anyone with a heart and a brain can wake people out of their stupor and call on them to struggle unceasingly against NCL's unremitting stream of cacodoxies and slander.

I'll say that again because I want it to sink in: If you were to ask NCL, it'd say that it doesn't remember leading an active disinformation campaign. Not only does NCL indeed have a very selective memory, but it recently made the astonishing claim that its arguments enhance performance standards, productivity, and competitiveness. Stripped of all its hyperbole, this statement is really just saying that NCL is out to wage a clandestine guerilla war against many consumers. And when we play its game, we become accomplices.

Now that my post has come to an end, let me remind you that it was intended to provide an accurate, even-handed, and balanced discussion of NCL and its malisons. Please do not contact me with insults, derisions, or the like because I will ignore them. If you disagree with my arguments or can provide further information about NCL, please respond and I will endeavor to make any necessary corrections to this post.

I unmistakably hope that the material I'm about to present will open some eyes and minds. It is worth noting at the outset that there are two challenges we must face if we wish to repair the impertinent world we have inherited from NCL. The first challenge is to lead it out of a dream world and back to hard reality. This is only slightly less difficult than the second challenge, which is to convey to people the knowledge that I, hardheaded cynic that I am, yearn for a time when anyone with a heart and a brain can wake people out of their stupor and call on them to struggle unceasingly against NCL's unremitting stream of cacodoxies and slander.

I'll say that again because I want it to sink in: If you were to ask NCL, it'd say that it doesn't remember leading an active disinformation campaign. Not only does NCL indeed have a very selective memory, but it recently made the astonishing claim that its arguments enhance performance standards, productivity, and competitiveness. Stripped of all its hyperbole, this statement is really just saying that NCL is out to wage a clandestine guerilla war against many consumers. And when we play its game, we become accomplices.

Now that my post has come to an end, let me remind you that it was intended to provide an accurate, even-handed, and balanced discussion of NCL and its malisons. Please do not contact me with insults, derisions, or the like because I will ignore them. If you disagree with my arguments or can provide further information about NCL, please respond and I will endeavor to make any necessary corrections to this post.

First off what is this we? Last I saw we were all only customers. Secondly all you people want is for everything to be included, yet you don't understand and all inclusive Cruise would make the price jack-up immensely. I for one like the premium restaurants because you get a better quality food at a reasonable price. My dream is for all of us customers to act like that customers. If you like a service continue to patronize if you don't there are other services out there.

I wish I would have thought to say that lol. I doubt the kids will care where they eat as long as they have the water slides lol.

This disgusts me. Margaritaville was one of the main features that most looked forward to when booking the Escape. NCL could have easily solved the wait time by adding additional staff to accommodate the crowds. Instead, they took the easy way out.

Add ala carte charges which will:

1) increase revenue

2) immediately decrease the wait time

I will NOT be paying to dine at this ala carte offering. Shame on NCL and Del Rio.

It's already been said they can't add more wait staff if they don't have more quarters to put the staff in. If you're talking about taking weight stuff from other restaurants which one do you take from? Immediately decreasing the wait time is a good thing, I can't speak for you but I didn't go on a cruise to stand in line all day lol.

Typical balanced, accurate and even-handed approach by NCL haters, nothing new here.:D

You're obviously not a Parrothead and have never been to a Buffet concert so why even chime in? If you don't understand branding then you don't understand why there were 2 hour waits for the place.

While the presence of a Margaritaville wasn't a deciding factor when booking the Escape, it was kinda of cool that it was the first one and that it was included in the price.

As far as the email everyone is talking about, we didn't ours either.... thanks NCL.

Actually, I know a great deal about Jimmy Buffet and his career, have met him many times and been to quite a few of his concerts. I enjoy his music. I probably wouldn't call myself a parrot head, but I am a fan.

But I am curious as to why people are so interested in a restaurant that is essentially owned by a singer/songwriter/author/actor/businessman - not a chef? You say it is "branding" but that seems an odd reason to choose a restaurant. For me, choosing a restaurant is about the quality of the food which directly equates to the talent of the chef, not the brand. Now I see that he is also opening up hotels, timeshares and vacation home ownerships, has a clothing line, home goods, food, alcohol and more. Is this what appeals to you about the brand?

I looked on Yelp and pretty much all the reviews state that the restaurants are cute ( but don't look like what is on Escape - I don't see a volcano or boat or anything in the photos online) and that the drinks are good but the food is mostly described as so-so. So...I just don't get what the attraction is. Good drinks are plentiful all over NCL ships. But now I'm wondering if Jimmy Buffet is working towards even more of an alliance with NCL. For example, having stores onboard their ships, maybe some themed suites and other things.

If you think about it, when Chipotle opened up, the first week, the food was free - at least that was the case where I live. So people would line up to get those free burritos and then after the first week, Chipotle began charging. By then people were convinced the food was good and word was spreading. So now I'm wondering if perhaps this is the way Margaritaville operates - first week free - then start charging? It doesn't make quite as much sense to do that on a ship as on land where you will get lots of repeat business if you impress your guests...just a thought, though. Maybe NCL erroneously described this venue as complimentary, when it was never meant to be such. Anyone live in a city with a Margaritaville where you were aware of how the restaurant opened?

I wish I would have thought to say that lol. I doubt the kids will care where they eat as long as they have the water slides lol.

Come on Motley, really? Do you not interact with children, do you have nieces or nephews? Kids get excited about what's planned on a trip. Mine were excited about going to the Porsche museum in Germany. Do you think we then just skip it and take them to a pool instead? We as a family talk about the cool new things we're going to do. When bowling was first introduced on a ship, we talked about that, planned it and played it onboard.

It's already been said they can't add more wait staff if they don't have more quarters to put the staff in. If you're talking about taking weight stuff from other restaurants which one do you take from? Immediately decreasing the wait time is a good thing, I can't speak for you but I didn't go on a cruise to stand in line all day lol.

It's been said by someone who doesn't know anything, was pulling it out of the air. It was a "maybe that's why" comment. I can't imagine NCL built a new ship and lowered the percentage of staff accommodations compared to other ships.