Is Caribbean Princess going to be late into Houston this morning?

StLouisCruisers

[quote name='StLouisCruisers']Given the fact that cruise ships are moving out of Galveston harbor, there is no reason the CB couldn't sail to the docks in Galveston. It's Baytown that is fogged in.[/quote]

Provided space is available and they can get permission from the powers-that-be to dock there.

Tom

My only issue is that I got more info from the posters here on the boards than I got from Princess. A Princess rep on the phone told us at 1:30 to head to the port and that "the ship SHOULD be there now." As we were heading out to the port, I read on cruise critic that the ship was still at sea. If those people could communicate that, why couldn't Princess communicate it? Everyone I spoke to was very kind, but they knew nothing! They didn't even know whether or not the ship was in port! That is ridiculous.

[quote name='Pierlesscruisers']Right, and you have proof of this alleged bribery how?

Some complained when Princess changed from Galveston to Houston, some are now complaining because they're pulling out of Houston this coming year and now you claim that "the government" (Houston city gov.?, Texas state gov.?, US gov?) is involved with bribery. No matter what happens somebody is not going to be happy. Amazing.

Tom[/quote]

It was the Houston Port Authority (or whatever it is called). Not bribes, "incentives."

In addition to a cash payment to Princess (and also to NCL), the agreement had port charges being waved and Princess to get a share of parking revenue.

[url]http://www.chron.com/business/article/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-says-port-s-incentives-were-4094482.php[/url]

[url]http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Port-of-Houston-losing-Norwegian-and-Princess-ships[/url]

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/story/cruiselog/2012/11/16/princess-norwegian-cruise-houston/1708455/[/url]

[quote name='cruiser fanatic']Wow, that is crazy that there were no embarkation staff answering questions and assisting guests. On Carnival a few years ago all the embarkation staff were standing outside the terminal answering questions and concerns. Sounds like bad communication from Princess. I hope you get a good rest and tomorrow will be better.[/quote]

Princess has only one day a week that a ship is in Bayport. The staff there are contract aand not Princess employees. Still that is no excuse for not having someone there to pass on whatever meager information there is to those who were at the terminal.

Carnival has ships in Galveston several days each week. I do not know if they have any of their own employees there, but they might have some due to the volume of business they have at that port.

[quote name='DebJ14']I am very surprised by this. Did you not provide cell phone numbers and e-mail when you completed your Cruise Personalizer?

[/quote]

Cell phone: Do not have one.

E-mail: Yes, Princess has it. And once I could get on the ship and plug in my laptop I would see any messages.

[quote name='Steelers0854']
The Princess boarding documents clearly state that boarding does not start until 12:30. We all know that princess typically starts birding much earlier but you kind of take that risk by getting there so early compared to that stated boarding time.

As far as communication goes it sounds like princess sent out notifications just before 11am (1.5 hours before boarding time) notifying of a weather delay. This is enough time before boarding time that the majority of people would not be at or so close to the port that they could not make alternate plans before arriving to the port.

[/quote]

I am sure that by 11 AM many passengers were already on their way to the port from the airports or hotels near the airports. To be there in time to board by 12:30 PM, they would need to be on the way before the notice went out, even if they did have cell phones or Internet access.

[quote name='nzOdy'] You already know they (Princess) are getting pretty insurance payouts for themselves having to not pay port fees when scheduled etc.[/quote]

No port fees paid by Princess at Bayport.

Is this a "winter" thing in Texas for fog or an any time thing? Hopefully Mar/Apr will be better...

It is a winter thing mostly, but often extends into the first part of April, cold air meets the warmer water of Galveston bay and you get fog. This time is particularly bad due to a stalled cool front over the area, normally the fog on the bay will clear by mid morning causing only a couple of hours worth of delays.

Hello from Caribbean Princess. I am on board and wanted to share some info. The Captain did a great job of keeping us updated as to his communication with port authority. Many announcements were, that he had NO new news for us. The staff were all very polite and trying to make the best of the day. Many people are having many issues with remaking new flight arrangements. Luckily I live in the Houston area, but my husband does have to fly out for work. If you are one of the lucky ones on the ship and flying United ask about their Flat Tire policy. My husbands flight was changed with no charges as the circumstances were out of his control.

After talking with staff, we found out a few things. One many were suppose to have time off and had to work and don't know when they will get it again. The room attendants had a very long, trying to clean as much as possible with passengers still hanging out in rooms and with some luggage still in rooms. After moving rolling beds in and out of rooms, all taken out had to be returned with clean sheets. Cleaning carts were on all the halls all day long till this evening.

Tomorrow they will have to do all of it again.

All luggage was returned to everyone for a few hours so we could get clothing. That is a lot of work!

We found out that at least the room attendants and our dining room servers were basically working with out pay as they wont get paid tips for today, as we aren't being charged.

I know it has been a very stressful 2 days for all, but please keep in mind when you get on the ship, it isn't the employees on the ships fault.

I hope everyone has a great time once you are able to get on board. I highly recommend the pizza on deck 15.

We are in port! 3:27am

Good morning! Yay! Any news on when they will let you guys line up for security and start to head out? Around 8? I've gotta pick someone up there and can't get a hold up the lm quite yet.

I am so glad the ship has docked! Whew!

I hope your disembarkation goes smopthly (and quckly).

To the embarking passengers: I hope your embarkation goes smoothly and quickly, too. I am also hoping you can put this boon-doggle behind you and enjoy the day/ enjoy the cruise. Please, continue to update us throughout the day!

Know that those of us on land are rooting for you!!!

From those of us waiting to board.....about 4, they announced that we were being sent to a hotel if we had purchased the "full package" thru Princess. They started calling names and assigning us to a hotel. We asked about accessible transportation which took a while to sort out. Fortunately, as soon as we had the hotel assignment, we called the hotel directly and got a room assigned with an HA bathroom. Most of us were sent downtown; LONG bus ride with arrival about 7 pm. Rainy, nasty night.

Nice room, ordered pizza. Princess is not providing any food. Bus will depart hotel at 11 am to return to cruise terminal.

GREAT to hear that the ship is in port. That lets us know that we will be boarding.

If you had not booked air thru Princess, you were given a list of area hotels and phone numbers and were on your own to find a place. Many people were planning to spend the night in the terminal--don't know if that was ultimately permitted.

The Princess staff was great. In all fairness, they should have called and ordered box lunches or something for us in the terminal. There was no food available other than the vending machines (food was served in the elite lounge to those guests). They had closed the access road to the port, so our attempt to have pizza delivered was not successful. They did provide a shuttle to a restaurant area, but between a mobility issue and our carry on luggage, we had already decided that was not a workable solution for us.

Lessons--I don't think I'll travel without a box of granola bars or something. Princess gives priority to those who book air thru them. The "cruise only" people were treated poorly IMHO. I think Princess' logic was that they didn't have staff to handle ALL the people in the terminal, so prioritized based on those who did EZ air.

Good luck to those heading home today!

Is this a "winter" thing in Texas for fog or an any time thing? Hopefully Mar/Apr will be better...

It is more or less a seasonal problem, and the severity varies from year to year, depending on the weather patterns. This is early for it to be this bad...usually the worst is in January and February when the Gulf water is the coldest and we have one of our rapid warm-ups. I've cruised out of Texas (Galveston) 12 times -- 10 times in March, once in November, and once in December, and I've had one very minor fog delay of about 90 minutes.

Bayport is more problematic than Galveston because of the distance up the relatively narrow ship channel. An accident could close one of the country's busiest ports for several days, so they tend to be quick to shut things down. Both Galveston ships arrived and departed yesterday on schedule.

Edited by Cindy

I am so glad the ship has docked! Whew!

I hope your disembarkation goes smopthly (and quckly).

To the embarking passengers: I hope your embarkation goes smoothly and quickly, too. I am also hoping you can put this boon-doggle behind you and enjoy the day/ enjoy the cruise. Please, continue to update us throughout the day!

Know that those of us on land are rooting for you!!!

I may not of been in the right places, but I didn't see anyone that was angry about the situation. The fog was really heavy. I did talk to a couple that had airfare with Spirit that they booked on their own and Spirit was not being helpful to them. Hope they were able to work something out.

I may not of been in the right places, but I didn't see anyone that was angry about the situation. The fog was really heavy. I did talk to a couple that had airfare with Spirit that they booked on their own and Spirit was not being helpful to them. Hope they were able to work something out.

I am glad to hear that no one is angry, because that is a sure-fire way to take the shiny off the day...

However, I do think that some of the passengers waiting to embark are pretty frustrated, and justifiably so.

Edited by TracieABD

we were supposed to board Caribbean Princess today. We arrived to the terminal at 10.30 a.m. There were NO representatives from the cruise company,no information, no food or drinks. People were sitting in the cold cars for many hours.There were 2 portable toilets and long -long lines.Why we were treated like animals. Why Princess reps could not come and inform people? We left the terminal at 16.00 to go to eat and other passengers informed us that there would be no ship. Their travel agent told them. It is not the way to treat customers. Shame and disgrace.You Princess ruined our cruise. We were lucky to get a hotel room together with other unhappy passengers and heard all kinds of comments from them.

I don't understand this post at all. We arrived at the airport about 8 am, our transfer purchased thru Princess took us to the terminal with arrival there about 10. We did have an accessible vehicle, not a standard bus. There were TONS of Princess reps at the airport and at the cruise terminal. Agree that the only food and drink was at the vending machines. There were at least 2 bathrooms, each with MANY (10+) stalls for women. I can't address the male toilet situation. We were well informed throughout the day, although early on the only announcement was "the ship is not in the channel yet. When it enters the channel, it will take 3-3 1/2 hours to reach the dock." About 3 pm, it changed to "we are working on contingency plans and will inform you as soon as they are finalized."

I do not believe the above poster was in the terminal. We arrived at the terminal, our checked luggage was taken (later returned to go to hotel), went thru security and were seated in the terminal. Wifi was available and our cell phones worked fine. Shuttle bus was provided to a food area, but due to disability issues, we did not take advantage of it.

PRIVATE cars were being stopped on the road to the terminal. Princess shuttles, taxis, limos, etc. were allowed in. Great care from Princess personnel. Food should have been provided in the terminal.

I don't understand this post at all. We arrived at the airport about 8 am' date=' our transfer purchased thru Princess took us to the terminal with arrival there about 10. We did have an accessible vehicle, not a standard bus. There were TONS of Princess reps at the airport and at the cruise terminal. Agree that the only food and drink was at the vending machines. There were at least 2 bathrooms, each with MANY (10+) stalls for women. I can't address the male toilet situation. We were well informed throughout the day, although early on the only announcement was "the ship is not in the channel yet. When it enters the channel, it will take 3-3 1/2 hours to reach the dock." About 3 pm, it changed to "we are working on contingency plans and will inform you as soon as they are finalized."

I do not believe the above poster was in the terminal. We arrived at the terminal, our checked luggage was taken (later returned to go to hotel), went thru security and were seated in the terminal. Wifi was available and our cell phones worked fine. Shuttle bus was provided to a food area, but due to disability issues, we did not take advantage of it.

PRIVATE cars were being stopped on the road to the terminal. Princess shuttles, taxis, limos, etc. were allowed in. Great care from Princess personnel. Food should have been provided in the terminal.[/quote']

Sounds lke the info you were given throughout the day, was about the same info as us. The captain tried to give us as much info as possible but when the Port Authority closes the channel and is making decisions minute by minute, the captain and Princess hands are tied. At one point we counted about 30 ships anchored out where we were. We were first in line to come in.

Hello from Caribbean Princess. I am on board and wanted to share some info. The Captain did a great job of keeping us updated as to his communication with port authority. Many announcements were, that he had NO new news for us. The staff were all very polite and trying to make the best of the day. Many people are having many issues with remaking new flight arrangements. Luckily I live in the Houston area, but my husband does have to fly out for work. If you are one of the lucky ones on the ship and flying United ask about their Flat Tire policy. My husbands flight was changed with no charges as the circumstances were out of his control.

After talking with staff, we found out a few things. One many were suppose to have time off and had to work and don't know when they will get it again. The room attendants had a very long, trying to clean as much as possible with passengers still hanging out in rooms and with some luggage still in rooms. After moving rolling beds in and out of rooms, all taken out had to be returned with clean sheets. Cleaning carts were on all the halls all day long till this evening.

Tomorrow they will have to do all of it again.

All luggage was returned to everyone for a few hours so we could get clothing. That is a lot of work!

We found out that at least the room attendants and our dining room servers were basically working with out pay as they wont get paid tips for today, as we aren't being charged.

I know it has been a very stressful 2 days for all, but please keep in mind when you get on the ship, it isn't the employees on the ships fault.

I hope everyone has a great time once you are able to get on board. I highly recommend the pizza on deck 15.

The Princess staff really did take care of you guys aboard and glad you were able to stay in your rooms comfortably. I was amazed last night upon hearing how quickly they got everyones luggage back to them. The crew is the true hero of this situation.