Equinox Spain and Portugal port or starboard

Travel3

Booked the Celebrity Equinox Spain and Portugal. Was wondering if anyone has done this itinerary. If so, which side of the ship would be better? As well, what is the weather like Sept 20th on for 13 nights in this region? I have read mixed comments on the weather. Here is the itinerary:

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 BARCELONA, SPAIN -- --

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 BARCELONA, SPAIN -- 05:00 PM

Thursday, September 22, 2016 PALMA DE MALLORCA, SPAIN 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, September 23, 2016 CARTAGENA, SPAIN 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Saturday, September 24, 2016 GIBRALTAR, UNITED KINGDOM 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

Sunday, September 25, 2016 AT SEA -- --

Monday, September 26, 2016 LISBON, PORTUGAL 08:00 AM --

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 LISBON, PORTUGAL -- 05:00 PM

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 AT SEA -- --

Thursday, September 29, 2016 SEVILLE (CADIZ), SPAIN 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, September 30, 2016 MALAGA, SPAIN 08:00 AM --

Saturday, October 1, 2016 MALAGA, SPAIN -- 05:00 PM

Sunday, October 2, 2016 AT SEA -- --

Monday, October 3, 2016 BARCELONA, SPAIN 06:00 AM --

Booked the Celebrity Equinox Spain and Portugal. Was wondering if anyone has done this itinerary. If so, which side of the ship would be better? As well, what is the weather like Sept 20th on for 13 nights in this region? I have read mixed comments on the weather. Here is the itinerary:

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 BARCELONA, SPAIN -- --

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 BARCELONA, SPAIN -- 05:00 PM

Thursday, September 22, 2016 PALMA DE MALLORCA, SPAIN 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, September 23, 2016 CARTAGENA, SPAIN 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Saturday, September 24, 2016 GIBRALTAR, UNITED KINGDOM 09:00 AM 06:00 PM

Sunday, September 25, 2016 AT SEA -- --

Monday, September 26, 2016 LISBON, PORTUGAL 08:00 AM --

Tuesday, September 27, 2016 LISBON, PORTUGAL -- 05:00 PM

Wednesday, September 28, 2016 AT SEA -- --

Thursday, September 29, 2016 SEVILLE (CADIZ), SPAIN 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Friday, September 30, 2016 MALAGA, SPAIN 08:00 AM --

Saturday, October 1, 2016 MALAGA, SPAIN -- 05:00 PM

Sunday, October 2, 2016 AT SEA -- --

Monday, October 3, 2016 BARCELONA, SPAIN 06:00 AM --

We haven't done that exact itinerary...

We've gone around Spain and Portugal and through Gibraltar on a one-way Dover to Rome...and...

We have Spain and Portugal booked for July on Constellation round trip from Barcelona--but different 13 night itinerary...

My thoughts are that it doesn't really matter...a lot of the time, you are too far out at sea to really see anything anyway...Whatever you pass on the port side on the way from Barcelona to Lisbon will be on the Starboard side going back from Lisbon to Barcelona...and vice-versa...Your view in Barcelona--from either side--will be of mostly the harbor facilities...maybe some of the town behind it but that really depends on which berth you dock at. If it docks where I think in Gibraltar, the Rock will be to the Starboard...

We were on the October 2, 2015 Equinox thirteen night Spain and Portugal cruise, and the itinerary was the same as this September 2016 sailing. Our stateroom was on the starboard side but I am not sure it really made much difference. It was a great itinerary though -- we thoroughly loved those overnights in Malaga and Lisbon. In Malaga that first day we went to Granada to visit the La Alhambra, and given the two hour drive between Malaga and Granada it was nice to know we could take our time. While we had been to Lisbon twice previously, this time the Equinox docked at the Santa Apolonia terminal which was so convenient.

Thank you so much for your response. How was the weather. I am a little concerned about the weather that time of the year. I do love this itinerary. Celebrity has the best itineraries, they really know how to do it right.

Were the ports easily accessible to the tourist areas, or did you have to take transfers? Spain and Portugal are on my bucket list.

We were on the same cruise/itinerary but Oct. 2nd for 13 nights. We both loved it but the weather wasn't absolutely perfect. We had clouds and sprinkles some days in port but by the end of the day it had cleared up. Having said this, we booked a similar cruise on the Silhouette for next year at a later date. Fingers will be crossed here! Don't miss the tour to Alhambra. It was great. As for port or starboard, we had port side but it really doesn't make that much of a difference. It's all good.

We just did all those ports (and a couple more) on the Oceania Marina in late October, though ours started in Barcelona and ended in Lisbon, not a round trip. In late October weather in all ports was between 68-78F every day, so it might be a little warmer for you. We only had one day of rain, which was in Lisbon. We did not bring shorts, but in a couple of ports (including Gibralter) I wish we had. We had a balcony cabin portside, and it was great for the Palma, Malaga, Gibralter and Lisbon sail-ins. I remember those ones specifically because I have great pictures sailing into all those ports at sunrise.

Were the ports easily accessible to the tourist areas, or did you have to take transfers? Spain and Portugal are on my bucket list.

The second day in Barcelona Celebrity had organized a shuttle (for a small fee if my memory is correct) which dropped off near the Barcelona Maritime Museum. And of course there was the port bus.

In Malaga the cruise terminal is essentially downtown, but on a long pier. There again was a shuttle offered (not Celebrity sponsored with tickets for purchase in the cruise terminal). A number of folks just walked.

In Gibraltor some folks took the taxi shuttle to the downtown area (our private excursion meeting point was actually downtown), but we just again walked as the exercise was so nice.

Thank you for your replies. I took a peak at Alhambra, it is gorgeous. I am assuming this would be a day tour out of Malaga? This itinerary has been on my radar for a while. I just hope the weather cooperates. :)

With two hours needed to drive to Granada from Malaga (so we spent four hours that day in transit), the trip to La Alhambra was indeed a day tour out of Malaga. While Celebrity had some shore excursions Spain Day Tours also offered them.

This itinerary was so nice that at least one couple on the October 2, 2015 booked the September sailing (apparently with Travel3). Since we live in the middle of Alaska we generally do B2B or B2B2B cruises as it just seems like a better use of the air fare. That October 2nd cruise made an excellent string with the October 15th, and then we just took the October 27th trans-Atlantic back to Florida.

The only somewhat scenic part of your itinerary is cruising into and out of Lisbon. Port for the best views upon arrival, starboard for the best views upon departure. Apart from that I'd say it really doesn't matter. The weather in September in the med is generally still OK, although Barcelona will have its first rainy days of the season.

It can rain this time of year from my experience . We did this itinerary on the Oceania mairina but left October 24. We dressed in layers. Note, that Alhambra

In Granada was cold as it is in the mountains. I would also recommend u book Alhambra in advance as we couldn't find a private excursion and had to use the ships tour which was twice the price ,

although it did include a very nice lunch. We did use Spain day tours for other cities and would recommend .

I also did this cruise October 2 this year. The weather was a lot warmer than I had expected, and I did not bring as many clothes as I needed for the heat. I brought too many clothes for cooler weather. Most days were sunny, so sunscreen and hats are needed. Occasional rains were not a problem, but a rain jacket is definitely needed. I agree that I don't think it matters whether cabin is on port or starboard. My cabin was port side. It's a great itinerary; have a great time.

Carolyn