Freedom of the Seas - new rumors

Calvin

Is it true about the roller coaster and NASCAR for Freedom. We are booked for July 30th and just can't wait. I have not heard much about it other than the wave pool and water park.

Please let me know what ever info. you may have on this magnificent ship. My kids are anxious.

Binuevo,

While I can't speak for Superjerryw, I am fairly confident that he was simply making a sarcastic and humorous joke about the incredible size of the newest megaships.

For my personal tastes, I love the megaships because of the many activity and dining options they have. My only concern is that they learn how to manage the huge number of guests so that we don't feel crowded while on our vacation.

I think RCCL has already reported that the surf pool is a "no added fee" attraction.
Right you are. It has been stated that it will be free of charge. That is one thing I like about RCCL they have many things you would think they would charge for but they don't. I better shut up now, I don't want to give them any ideas.:eek:

Yes #2 is Endeavor of the Seas, as an email from Stephanie when they got the press release as yes, she is being built as I type. To be turned over May 2007 a year later than Freedom. And when she floats to the waterdock to finish, #3 will start construction. So now we are laughing at what her name will be, as we both voted for Eroticism.

I believe that they previously announced that #2 will be named Endeavor of the Seas. As far as fresh water pools are concerned, I have no problem with and in fact, enjoy the salt water pools on RCI ships. More buoyancy and without that strong (and IMHO obnoxious) chlorine smell that you frequently get with fresh water pools, and after all, it is salt water we will be swimming in when we get off the ship and go to the beach. It is possible that they will use fresh water in the H2O zone and still keep the other pools salt water.

Saw a film of Freedom and the Captain talked about it at great length. There are 3 ordered all together....yes, with freshwater pools as the salt is corroding the metals in the pools, the take out Captain will be Capt Smith for the first six weeks. He is American and presently at RCCI head office in Miami. This is because this ship is being promoted as "All American" in it's early launch days. The surf pool you would all know about too...hmmmm, what else....underwater music in the pools!!! If I think of more, I'll be back!

The first Master on the Freedom of the Seas will be Captain William (Bill ) Wright... it was announced in August ... I have copied the Cruise Critic link about this announcement. Captain Wright was also the Captain in charge of the simulator that trained the Captains to use the first of the Voyager Class vessels... you can see him in action if you have the DVD or tape of the Making of the Voyager. Look forward to sailing on the maiden voyage in June

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1371

Emmy

Binuevo,

While I can't speak for Superjerryw, I am fairly confident that he was simply making a sarcastic and humorous joke about the incredible size of the newest megaships.QUOTE]

You mean it's not true.....:eek:

Well, perhaps I am recalling the name incorrectly...but I was sure the Captain said 'Smith'. He had talked to him the day before and he was very excited to be the take out Captain. He will only be onboard for 6 weeks then it will change and he didn't say to whom. Perhaps this is when Capt Wright takes over? He said with the ship being named "Freedom of the Seas' and and the Captain being "All-American" this was very good publicity! And that's a quote...not sure who would be more accurate...a CC link or a Captain already online?

Just passing on what was said. Perhaps one of the others recently on Mariner attended the Captain's Corner??

RCI Mariner ots - Radisson Seven Seas Mariner

RCI Voyager ots - Radisson Seven Seas Voyager

RCI Navigator ots - Radisson Seven Seas Navigator

Crown Princess - Norwegian Crown

Carnival Pride - Norwegian Pride of Aloha, Pride of America, Pride of Hawaii

I was on the Mariner two weeks ago and the captain did mention the fresh water pools then. It got a lot of applause to be sure. I think most pax favor this.

I too went to Captain's Corner and he didn't say Smith, he said Wright. That didn't mean anything to me at the time -- still doesn't.

Sailor,

I think you're right! The recently stretched Enchantment of the Seas is probably an excellent preview of the bungee jumping trampolines we may see on the Freedom.

If you go to RCCL's home page, click find a cruise, click Enchantment of the Seas, click "What's different", you can find a pretty cool artist's rendition of them.

Still no word on deck plans???

I heard at the end of October, when the Freedom of the Seas Borchure will be out. Who really knows though. They just like driving us mad out of our minds in anticipation.

Fitz,

I'm sure they do enjoy keeping us anticipating but, frankly, I'm kind of enjoying the 'cat and mouse' game they are playing.

After all, I'm booked on the Freedom almost 15 months from now so at least I'll have some more surprises in store.

I can't wait for the new brochures to come out. I hope that they have re-styled the cabins somewhat.

I really don't know what else they have up their sleeves but they must have liked what they saw with the prototypes and the shipyard observations since they already have 2 more on the horizon.

The Roller Coaster and NASCAR gocarts rumor - I was on a trip recently, and one of the airline magazines (Sept issue) - I think it was United - was devoted to the future of cruising. They had an article about the designs of the public activity areas of future vessels - including Freedom class, and Carnival's proposed new class that will be over 200K tons. Ideas that the designers had for future ships included a roller coaster, an area to run electric gocarts, and and 850 foot ski run, wrapped around a stack, open for Alaska trips, and covered with an inflatable enclosure for warm weather. None of these were linked directly to Freedom - more in the future, like the Carnival, and the RC class that will come after Freedom class. One thing the article said was that designers see no limit to size for cruise ships - it will all depend on how many ports will make the docking accomodations needed.

PSCruiser,

Perhaps they should just sign a contract with Six Flaggs/Great America and get it over with!

Wow, a 200kGRT ship in the near future? With Carnival, that would translate into ~ 5400 ppl (dbl occupancy guess).

I guess as long as there are new ideas for new amenities on these ships, the cruiselines will still build them. Certainly few of us sail on these behemoths just so that we can be around 4,000 ppl on vacation.

Calvin,

Great idea about Six Flags - I expect to see it soon. One note from that article - they had a table of interior space per passenger, and were showing that as ships get bigger, that number is increasing - a good sign!

Archived