80,000 VIFP Platinum members

jimbo5544

According to John Heald, there are over 80,000 Plat's not sure how many Diamonds, but that answer is coming as well. Certainly explains some of the changes to program that have been made.

Okay, 80000 Plats - let's assume 40000 couples and assume that they take two cruises a year, divide by 52 weeks and 24 ships - that's an average of 64 plats a cruise. This makes sense since at the Plat/Diamond party there were only about 30 people. So how come on that same cruise there were over 350 waiting for a tender to Belize, no room to sit or stand in the lounge, a mad rush of humanity to board the ship, and a line of four to six people at rush times at the guest services line.

Okay, 80000 Plats - let's assume 40000 couples and assume that they take two cruises a year, divide by 52 weeks and 24 ships - that's an average of 64 plats a cruise. This makes sense since at the Plat/Diamond party there were only about 30 people. So how come on that same cruise there were over 350 waiting for a tender to Belize, no room to sit or stand in the lounge, a mad rush of humanity to board the ship, and a line of four to six people at rush times at the guest services line.

Not everyone goes to the platinum/diamond party. FTTF can explain some of the crowding issues. The fact that each platinum and diamond can each bring 5 more pax to the tender is another.

Edited by SadieN

Not everyone goes to the platinum/diamond party. FTTF can explain some of the crowding issues. The fact that each platinum and diamond can each bring 5 more pax to the tender is another.
Last cruise guest service said about 100 pax's will be at platinum/diamond party sure when the doors opened only about 300 guests showed up. The whole program went down the drain since the VIFP thing started along with the FTTF. Don't go to parties anymore,and they can keep those strawberries.

Can FTTF also bring 5 passengers? Last cruise there were about 15 with one woman and they all had blue or red cards. The leader said to some of the others, "Don't worry, they never check the cards" - and they didn't. There was no priority given to plats or diamonds, so we ended up on the third tender. No big deal - but not much of a loyalty perk.

Just a little tibit I forgot in other post those 80,000 plats most anyway not the new ones made Carnival has it is now. Then we had "uncle Bob" at the helm I think the bean counters are the problem. all those platinums and diamonds today BIG DEAL you on the ship early and off early and get a couple of strawberries. Carnival doesn't care the will be a new seat for anyone who goes.

Not to bring up another cruise line if your not in a level for perks you don't get them. And NO bringing in guests.

Maybe the bean counters may say Hey these parties are costing us more then before.

Side note do something with those E-cigarettes people using them suck on those pipe things and blow out a cloud of smoke the size of a pillow right in your face and say "I'm in a smoking area and do what ever I want"

I can see Carnival changing this policy for platinum/diamond folks to only 2 people max allowed to tender in the future.

Return guest party, staggered embarkations to name two.

I understand the change in past guest party but how would number of platinum/diamond cruisers create a need for staggered boarding?

(Not being a smart aleck, I'm just not seeing the connection.)

I understand the change in past guest party but how would number of platinum/diamond cruisers create a need for staggered boarding?

I'm not either since plats and diamonds don't have to conform to the staggering process? Do they? I thought not.

HectorA, also keep in mind that lots of us who are Platinum/Diamond have cruised many times, and have seen the same ports many times. We may not necessarily disembark in every port. Also, there are children who are platinum.. you may not see them at the party, but a family may have 5-6 kids, skewing your numbers. Also, certain times of the year, cruising is very heavy out of FL, but zero in Alaska and not as heavy in CA, and I really am not sure about Australia. Nothing to Bermuda, this time of year. You know what they say about Stats. The number of plat/diamond guests will vary per party, and that does not mean those people are not there, just that sometimes they may not choose to attend the party. Last month, our Past guest party was quite full. I think it is hit or miss. Also, Plat/diamond have their own line at guest services and... sometimes just don't need it.

Where does it say that Platinum/Diamond can take 5 additional people on the tender? I never saw this? On our last two cruises with tender they walked us to the front of the line.

We were on the Miracle recently and the past guest Plat/Diamond party was packed.

how come on that same cruise there were over 350 waiting for a tender to Belize, no room to sit or stand in the lounge, a mad rush of humanity to board the ship, and a line of four to six people at rush times at the guest services line.

Maybe Carnival oversold FTTF. :confused:

We were on the Miracle recently and the past guest Plat/Diamond party was packed.

Maybe Carnival oversold FTTF. :confused:

I think that the First to the Fun program may indeed be a factor. It is only my opinion, but I think they tend to oversell more than when the program was first introduced. It is not really fair either to Plats or to others who purchase FTTF and get a diluted product.

Another problem is that some people who purchase it are not at all informed about the benefits. We had ATD, and liked to show up early, about ten to fifteen minutes before they open the doors. On the first two nights there was a rather long line by the time they opened the doors, and a group of 12 came right to the front of the line. They said that FTTF gave them the right to do this. After the first two days, I went to guest services and asked why Plats did not have this privilege, and I was told that the FTTF people were confused and they would take care of it. Well the next night, they showed up as usual and nothing was done.

I mentioned it to the Matre dee (sp) and the fourth night he mentioned it to them right before the doors opened. They were nice about it, but he still allowed them to stay in the front of the line. The rest of the week, they came and waited in line like everyone else.

The same group was present at Cayman and Belize tendering. As I said, they were nice, but not properly informed. The point of all of this is that only one couple of the 12 actually had First to the Fun. The other were allowed to participate with no questions asked.

Easy, if a large percentage of cruisers are plat and diamond, add that to fttf and weddings and a good chunk of people are getting on the ship early which means a large portion of the rooms have to be ready early which means a lot of people who came thinking they were getting on early now have to wait to start to board. It all gets backed up and the natives get restless.

Where does it say that Platinum/Diamond can take 5 additional people on the tender? I never saw this? On our last two cruises with tender they walked us to the front of the line.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/showphoto.php?photo=26742&sortby=d&sorttime=9999&way=desc

This is something I saw posted in the past, I do not know if it's current info. It kind of stuck in my mind because I interpreted it as 5 folks within your party, someone else was interpreting it as 5 new friends...;)

Easy, if a large percentage of cruisers are plat and diamond, add that to fttf and weddings and a good chunk of people are getting on the ship early which means a large portion of the rooms have to be ready early which means a lot of people who came thinking they were getting on early now have to wait to start to board. It all gets backed up and the natives get restless.

Thank you for the info.

I guess I think of Platinum/Diamond as kind of going to the front of the line, regardless of when they arrive at the port, as opposed to specifically arriving early.

Last cruise guest service said about 100 pax's will be at platinum/diamond party sure when the doors opened only about 300 guests showed up. The whole program went down the drain since the VIFP thing started along with the FTTF. Don't go to parties anymore,and they can keep those strawberries.

The Platinum/Diamond party is at an inconvenient time. They need to have it at the beginning of the cruise, not the last day. Most people are packing, or out and about enjoying the ship on that last day. I was going to go to it on my last cruise in sept. ... but honestly... I forgot it was happening. I would have been there if it was the beginning. Hopefully they won't do away with it because of poor attendance.

The Platinum/Diamond party is at an inconvenient time. They need to have it at the beginning of the cruise, not the last day. Most people are packing, or out and about enjoying the ship on that last day. I was going to go to it on my last cruise in sept. ... but honestly... I forgot it was happening. I would have been there if it was the beginning. Hopefully they won't do away with it because of poor attendance.

To be honest, on our last cruise on the Sunshine in August, we almost missed it as well (we had begun packing). Had it not been for a delivery from our rooom steward and mentioning it, we would have.

Thank you for the info.

I guess I think of Platinum/Diamond as kind of going to the front of the line, regardless of when they arrive at the port, as opposed to specifically arriving early.

Hey, it is just my opinion, but I tend to see most Plats and Diamonds early on as opposed to later. Love your nickname BTW.

80,000 platinums means they make up less than 2% of the Carnival cruise population (80,000 / 4,5000,000* = .0177).

You can spin the numbers any way you want, but in the end, platinum cruisers are a small percentage.

*- 4,500,000 self reported by CCL, other sources have the number as high as 10 million.