Time frame for booking more than one excursion in same port

dz63

We will be sailing on the Crown Princess, Alaska route in May. In Juneau there are two excursions that are offered through the cruise line that interest us. The first excursion returns at 11:45 and the second excursion departs at 12:00. Is a 15-minute window between excursions feasible? If for some reason the first excursion runs late would Princess still get us to the second excursion?

That is very tight.

I have been on some excursions which get back late. Now if you missed the excursion Princess might (I use the word might but you would have to check with them) reimburse you for the second tour but if you get back late they will not get you on that excursion.

Do think through things such as lunch.

If it was me, I would not do it but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Keith

What are the two excursions? You might be able to find a way to do both activities by booking independently, co-booking them, and/or arranging your own transportation between the two.

No, I would not book two excursions this close together, and the Princess system might not even allow you to do it.

Last time I checked, Princess recommended 30 minutes. We have done that in Juneau but didn't get lunch. Fortunately the morning whale watching trip with Gasteneau Guiding had a substantial snack.

Actually I think the recommendation was 45 minutes between one excursion's scheduled end, and the beginning of the next.

15 minutes between excursions is crazy.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thanks everyone for your helpful information and advice.

The two excursions we were thinking of are:

1. Underground Mine and Gold Panning excursion

2. Mendenhall Glacier

It looks like a 15 minute window between these two excursions is not recommended and since it is unlikely Princess will get us to the next excursion in the advent the first one runs late makes it necessary for me to look into other options.

We have an early departure (all aboard at 3:30 for a 4:00 sailing) which does make it tight to see as much as we would like in Juneau. Perhaps a better option for us would be to take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier (which is independent from the cruise line) in the morning where we could possibly get an earlier start (8:00-9:00) and get back between 11:30-noon. Then we would have time for a quick lunch and take in the 12:30 Underground Mine and Gold Panning Excursion offered by Princess. Does this option seem more feasible?

I know the shuttle runs every 30 minutes but I am not sure how early in the morning they start. Our ship arrives at 6:00 in the morning so we could possibly head over to Mendenhall Glacier around 8:00 (to give us more time), but this possibility would only work if the shuttle is running that early.

Thanks everyone for your helpful information and advice.

The two excursions we were thinking of are:

1. Underground Mine and Gold Panning excursion

2. Mendenhall Glacier

It looks like a 15 minute window between these two excursions is not recommended and since it is unlikely Princess will get us to the next excursion in the advent the first one runs late makes it necessary for me to look into other options.

We have an early departure (all aboard at 3:30 for a 4:00 sailing) which does make it tight to see as much as we would like in Juneau. Perhaps a better option for us would be to take the shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier (which is independent from the cruise line) in the morning where we could possibly get an earlier start (8:00-9:00) and get back between 11:30-noon. Then we would have time for a quick lunch and take in the 12:30 Underground Mine and Gold Panning Excursion offered by Princess. Does this option seem more feasible?

I know the shuttle runs every 30 minutes but I am not sure how early in the morning they start. Our ship arrives at 6:00 in the morning so we could possibly head over to Mendenhall Glacier around 8:00 (to give us more time), but this possibility would only work if the shuttle is running that early.

Mendenhall shuttles don't start until 9am. So take a cab. figure about $40, then take the shuttle back. Going there early, few people spend more than a couple hours, so I'll guess, if you got there at 7am you'd be ready to go at 10a.

For my Alaska touring, I never hesitate to get early starts. It is well worth my time to be off the ship shortly after clearing.

Another issue- the cruise lines usually have in place, markers with shore excursions. They don't allow bookings if the time is too tight, so I will speculate that these bookings can't even be done online?

Mendenhall shuttles don't start until 9am. So take a cab. figure about $40, then take the shuttle back. Going there early, few people spend more than a couple hours, so I'll guess, if you got there at 7am you'd be ready to go at 10a.

For my Alaska touring, I never hesitate to get early starts. It is well worth my time to be off the ship shortly after clearing.

Another issue- the cruise lines usually have in place, markers with shore excursions. They don't allow bookings if the time is too tight, so I will speculate that these bookings can't even be done online?

Hi Budget Queen,

Thanks so much for your response. I really like your suggestion and I think this is the best way for us to go in order to maximize our experience in Juneau without feeling totally rushed!

A couple questions though:

1. How hard is it to get a taxi once leaving the ship especially that early in the morning? Are taxi's available right at the cruise terminal?

2. To take the shuttle back do we pay the driver at Mendenhall Glacier or do we need to make prior arrangements from the shuttle hub near the tram?

Hi Budget Queen,

Thanks so much for your response. I really like your suggestion and I think this is the best way for us to go in order to maximize our experience in Juneau without feeling totally rushed!

A couple questions though:

1. How hard is it to get a taxi once leaving the ship especially that early in the morning? Are taxi's available right at the cruise terminal?

2. To take the shuttle back do we pay the driver at Mendenhall Glacier or do we need to make prior arrangements from the shuttle hub near the tram?

There are cab lines, or you can have a cab waiting for you, just call from the ship. I've used Capital, and Evergreen. listings http://www.traveljuneau.com

You pay the driver of the shuttle bus. the buses, load from the parking lot before the Visitor Center, on the other side of the road.

There are cab lines, or you can have a cab waiting for you, just call from the ship. I've used Capital, and Evergreen. listings http://www.traveljuneau.com

You pay the driver of the shuttle bus. the buses, load from the parking lot before the Visitor Center, on the other side of the road.

Thank you once again Budget Queen for your wonderful advice and suggestions. Your helpfulness and expertise is very much appreciated! Going down by taxi and returning by shuttle bus is an excellent idea and a fantastic solution for us. We never considered the taxi option and did not realize we could take the shuttle one way. We were beginning to think we may have to forfeit the second 12:30 excursion as all other tours I found leave at 9:00 or 9:15 arriving back between 11:30-11:45 but have limited time at the Glacier (we would like to have enough time to walk down to Nugget Falls). I am very excited to know there is a way to get to Mendenhall Glacier in the morning, beat the crowds, and not have to settle with a rushed 1 hour experience in order to fit in another excursion in the afternoon.

Important facts for anyone considering a visit to Mendenhall Glacier in the morning:

1. Shuttle service runs every 30 minutes beginning at 9:00 am. It is approx. a 30 minute drive to get to the visitor centre.

2. Although the visitor centre is opened from 8:00 am - 7:30 pm, May-September, the trails are opened and your visit is not restricted to the visitor centre hours. Therefore Budget Queen's suggestion to arrive early by taxi is very doable and an excellent way to maximize our time in port!