Regatta Alaska Average Age - will we be comfortable

BTwurddle

I am elated after learning Regatta will be sailing Alaska in 16 and 17. My husband and I sailed our first Alaska itinerary last year on Holland America's Oosterdam and although I was previously a devoted Holland America passenger we were drastically disappointed. We are drastically younger in age than the average passenger on Holland America and most of the luxury lines such as Seaborne, Regent, Silversea and Oceania. We are a same sex couple, 34 and 45 and by no means hi-browed. We come from the Piney woods of East Texas and what some may refer to as "cowboys." We work in construction and security respectively and are humble about our lifestyle. We are not a couple of means, however our sons are grown which does leave us the ability to travel well. My question is this, will we be uncomfortable or out of place on an Alaskan sailing on Oceania? We are very flexible and enjoy meeting a variety of new people, but I dont want to book ourselves on a cruise where we will be perceived as "rednecks." The last thing I want is to stick out like a rooster wearing socks.

I am elated after learning Regatta will be sailing Alaska in 16 and 17. My husband and I sailed our first Alaska itinerary last year on Holland America's Oosterdam and although I was previously a devoted Holland America passenger we were drastically disappointed. We are drastically younger in age than the average passenger on Holland America and most of the luxury lines such as Seaborne, Regent, Silversea and Oceania. We are a same sex couple, 34 and 45 and by no means hi-browed. We come from the Piney woods of East Texas and what some may refer to as "cowboys." We work in construction and security respectively and are humble about our lifestyle. We are not a couple of means, however our sons are grown which does leave us the ability to travel well. My question is this, will we be uncomfortable or out of place on an Alaskan sailing on Oceania? We are very flexible and enjoy meeting a variety of new people, but I dont want to book ourselves on a cruise where we will be perceived as "rednecks." The last thing I want is to stick out like a rooster wearing socks.

Let me take a stab at this:

the common elements of O clientele are - well traveled, civil, professionally accomplished (ALL types of professions), tolerant of differences and smart enough to recognize the true value that Is O.

I'll go out on a limb here: just the fact that, on a first pass, I saw no spelling or grammar errors in your post suggests that you're in the ball park.

We've seen the widest age demographic on both O Alaska and Med cruises. What we haven't seen is conversations about "how 'bout them 'niners'" moreso than the political issues topping the list of world affairs. Of course, that doesn't mean there won't be talk about the REAL "big game," i.e., Ohio State/Michigan.

At the bottom line, if you want bang-for-the-buck, very restrictive smoking policies, minimal "walker brigade," outstanding food et al, Oceania is where you belong.

Welcome to the Oceania boards (or should I say "howdy" :D). I really do NOT believe that you will be out of place on Oceania or Alaska. The itinerary is active, the scenery beautiful and there will be a core group on the cruise who likely will be staying up for cocktails after dinner (such as me for example) regardless of how active our excursion was. My prior Alaskan cruises on different lines had all types of people from all over. I think you will have a wonderful time on Oceania :)

Are you subtlely asking if a same sex couple will be welcomed?

On all of my Oceania cruises -- and these go back to the beginning -- other passengers have been very welcoming. There may be some to judge or have prejudices, but most of us do not. You certainly would not be the only same sex couple on board the ship. Of course, all sailings have different people so it's impossible to absolutely guarantee anything but I doubt you would feel at all uncomfortable.

And you relatively young ages as compared to the average passenger also shouldn't matter.

I hope you decide to give O a try.

Mura

Mura

If just age differences created a "drastic disappointment" on HAL, I fear you would have the same reaction to the equally-advanced average age on O. On the other hand, I think I am fairly typical of the O passengers I have met, and I would be happy to share a drink, a meal and a conversation with you, if you could forgive me for being a little north of 70.

Come on board guys. We are all really nice(yeah and most of us getting old) but we are still a lot of fun. You will love Alaska itineraries. I want to go again but DH says we have had enough....so now he has to take me back to the Med...pooh on him

Hey, give it a shot. Don't know how long an itinerary you are looking at, but our 12-day Seattle-to-Seattle last summer was sensational (three sea days). And like DOJO466 said, many same-sex couples on board. In fact, on every one of our five Oceania cruises (a total of 72 days), there have always been a goodly number of us, always welcomed (with one ugly exception, which we got over). On a 2012 Lisbon-to-New York Regatta voyage, we all met for drinks one night -- over 60 showed up!

My only concern is what kind of nightlife you are used to -- and enjoy -- at sea. On Regatta drinks and maybe a combo in Horizons is about it -- with the occasional comic or juggler or singer in the lounge. I suspect HAL has it all over O in the realm of nightlife. But it's Alaska, and you're going pretty much all day -- which you already know from your Oosterdam cruise. And, hey, socks, no socks, who cares?!?!

I think you will be among the youngest passengers on the ship. The ship is small with just 650 or so passengers. O ships are quiet at night. Besides this you should enjoy the trip, they provide a nice product. Coming from HAL if you get a normal room it will seem small. If you prefer no children check the cruise carefully, some of the Alaska trips are sold as family trips and have a kids program aboard and special pricing for kids. Have a great trip.

I will also ring in on this! We are also from East Texas, although not a same sex couple are "refugees" from HAL. We tried our first "O" cruise earlier this year on the Regatta are loved it. I think you will have no problem. I also think you will love Alaska if you love East Texas and the outdoors. We have been to Alaska four times and are booked again next summer. You will find it very habit forming! The people are, for the most part, friendly and much like those here at home. If you treat them right they will treat you the same way. The scenery is like nothing you will find anywhere else. We have traveled all over the world and keep coming back to Alaska.

Yes, the ship is small, but that is an advantage, you can get to know your fellow travelers. And it is quiet at night, but you will find yourself getting up very early to be out and about early. The people on the ship will greet you by name as they pass and the staff will know how you want your coffee in the morning and your steak at night. Can't beat that!