Pet Peeve, King Bed Request

brendrek

I'm annoyed by the fact that our king bed request has never been correctly honored on 4 cruises together. Of course, when I chase down the room steward he fixes it. Although twice we got the 'Are you sure?' type of response which was stupid. Yes we are gay. I'm wondering if it was correct for the rest of you, or is this some kind of judgment call they are making? Are they afraid of offending two straight buddies bunking together who might have accidentally selected the wrong bed setup? Like that happens...LOL

I'm annoyed by the fact that our king bed request has never been correctly honored on 4 cruises together. Of course, when I chase down the room steward he fixes it. Although twice we got the 'Are you sure?' type of response which was stupid. Yes we are gay. I'm wondering if it was correct for the rest of you, or is this some kind of judgment call they are making? Are they afraid of offending two straight buddies bunking together who might have accidentally selected the wrong bed setup? Like that happens...LOL

Seems like you might be a little over sensitive. Doubt the cruise line has the time or even gives any one's bookings enough thought to worry about being "politically correct" one way or the other. Once I book a cruise I feel like I am on my own. They don't give me any further thought, until we board, and then they want you to spend, spend, spend. We have had ours mixed up about 1/2 the time. Very quick fix.:)

I really wonder if they even look at what the guest has requested? More often than not it seems like there are complains on CC about the steward having made an assumption based on names or gender. How hard would it be for them to pull up the guest's preferences to see what they want.

I would think it would save them work and time. After all, if it's not how the guest prefers, they're just going to be chased down and asked to fix it, may as well do it correct the first time!

On our sailing on the Elation earlier this year the steward did not put the beds together despite our request. It wasn't until we put the beds together ourselves that he finally made the bed as a king (on day 2).

We initially thought it may have been something against us, since we are also a gay couple, but as the cruise went on we became more suspect that we simply had a lazy and grumpy steward. We cruise in a few months on the Dream, very curious to see how it goes this time.

I'm straight and have always had my requested bed selection. I'd like to think that Carnival isn't doing it on purpose but who knows. I've been on 5 cruises.

I think it's really rude that they would ask if you were sure or not.

After several cruises in various (marital) situations, I've decided on my theory: that what you indicate as a preference is not viewed by the Room Steward. I firmly believe that they are so busy when trying to turn the rooms over from one set of guests for the new arrivals that they leave the bed as it was. It's easier and faster for the steward.

Yes, they will change it when asked after departure. I tip the harried Steward to have it done. I imagine in some cases, people just accept it/learn to live with it.

There is decidedly a more spacious feel with twin bedss against the wall than a "king" in the middle of the room.

After several cruises in various (marital) situations, I've decided on my theory: that what you indicate as a preference is not viewed by the Room Steward. I firmly believe that they are so busy when trying to turn the rooms over from one set of guests for the new arrivals that they leave the bed as it was. It's easier and faster for the steward.

Yes, they will change it when asked after departure. I tip the harried Steward to have it done. I imagine in some cases, people just accept it/learn to live with it.

There is decidedly a more spacious feel with twin bedss against the wall than a "king" in the middle of the room.

I handled the booking for my parent's next cruise. They usually have a balcony but since gamble so much have a "port charges" only, 7 day cruise with an inside, this time. I requested twins for them as you are correct. Would be less roomy if bed in the middle. But, in the case of a balcony room twins would take up more space, just in the way the room is laid out. Just saying.:)

After several cruises in various (marital) situations, I've decided on my theory: that what you indicate as a preference is not viewed by the Room Steward. I firmly believe that they are so busy when trying to turn the rooms over from one set of guests for the new arrivals that they leave the bed as it was.

This completely makes sense.

I know they've been running a trial on some ships askkng you to tell them how frequently you want your room serviced In a brief survey. Maybe they should include bed arrangements on this as well? Might make things easier for the steward as well as clear up a lot of confusion and possibly perceived slights from passengers.

I think they leave the beds arranged add on the prev cruise.

Think about it. It takes a lot of time to do several rooms and they do not have a lot of time to turn the rooms over.

After the pax board, any changes asked for can be done in the afternoon_evening when they are not so rushed.

It is only a big deal if you want to make it one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

There are 3 reasons why it can become a "big deal"

1) You are asked during booking which way you want the bed. Everything else you booked came out right, why didn't that? For some who are very sensitive about this, it is perceived as a slight.

2) While some stewards happily fix it without complaint, others ask "are you sure?" (No, I hunted you down, asked you to change the bed, but now that you are awkwardly staring at me, maybe not? Of course I want you to change it...)

3) Sometimes these very busy stewards can be hard to find, and you won't be able to get the request in until later, causing a potential awkward and totally avoidable bedding situation the first night.

Why ask a question during the booking process that will be clearly ignored? Carnival sets themselves up for these issues, and it seems like there could be a much less confusing way to do this so that both the steward and the passenger has a much easier time.

Edited by Indytraveler83

Eight cruises with my brother on various lines and always request twins. Always arrive with room made up as a king. We used to make a joke before we open the door, but that got old. Only had one time where steward got a little testy. Showed us the list that said Mr & Mrs. My brother answered that he wasn't sleeping with his sister and steward got even more stubborn. He ended up keeping the king bed which I slept in and pulled down the bunk for my brother.

I didn't complain about the steward as maybe he was having a rough time with something back home etc. He seemed nice enough later on. Also my brother said the bunk reminded him of his navy days.

My husband and I have always requested a KING in all of our cruises..

And every time have gotten TWO TWINS!

It's an easy fix for the steward(ess), but I have noticed this also.

I am not passing any assumption towards Carnival, just giving my experience.

On every cruise I have taken - eight in total - my husband and I have NEVER had a King bed as requested. Even during our Honeymoon cruise!! LOL .. Glad to hear I'm not alone. Yes, it is always easily fixed, but it sounds like there are obvious assumptions being made.

I've had my four-year-old given a crib instead of the bed. I had to ask for the crib to be removed in and a bed made. That I had previously asked for the twin beds to already be made. I think in the confusion of debarkation embarkation that it just gets overlooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have been on over 10 cruises - all of which we have had a balcony and our kids in an inside across the hall. 100% of the time the rooms have been correct - king for me an DH and twins for boys. But from reading all the responses, we appear to have been quite lucky.

And as for the rude comment of "are you sure?" please try to recognize that other cultures, particularly the ones from which the majority of room stewards hail, do not "understand" or "recognize" homosexuality...plus, there can be language barriers at times. Just try to let it roll of your back and you and your partner enjoy your vacations!