Pet Peeve, King Bed Request

brendrek

On our last cruise my husband I had twin beds, and asked that it be changed first day and it was. I never thought anything of it again. On my most recent booking, I was digging around my reservation preferences and noticed it had us listed as requesting "twin" beds, which was absolutely not the case.

Did you check your booking and see if it was listed as twins there? I'm thinking it gets left in your profile (though I do remember changing it on a previous cruise ...)? :cool:

Happened maybe 3 times out of about 14 cruises.

Once it wasn't able to be fixed due to our child being in the pull down bunk. Something about not being able to make it each day or the ladder. Don't recall specifics. Rather than make things difficult on the steward we decided to just leave it at twins. I love my husband, but it was honestly kind of nice to have my own bed after a decade of marriage.

I've been on a lot of Carnival cruises and my bed has been right every time but one. The one time, it was set up as a King, which was exceedingly weird to me as I was sharing with my 13 year old son that trip. Anyhow, they changed it to twins without a problem.

My bed configuration has never been correct! I always have to hunt the steward down or call house keeping. They usually say, "we'll change it while your at dinner." They don't......so I call again with a little anger in my voice then it's changed to a king. They usually try to have me wait until the next day. NO! I've also gotten the confused are you sure question. I would once love to slowly open my cabin door to see our bed as I requested it KING!

On my last cruise with my son the beds were made up as a King, even though we requested 2 twins. I told the steward to change it and he said that we were a couple. He pulled out his list and it was showed that we were a couple. It wasn't written in it but was typed in under a column on his sheet. He finally said he would change it. I know I didn't wish to wish to to share a bed with my adult son and I'm pretty sure he didn't want to share one with his mother :eek:.

I'm annoyed by the fact that our king bed request has never been correctly honored on 4 cruises together. Of course, when I chase down the room steward he fixes it. Although twice we got the 'Are you sure?' type of response which was stupid. Yes we are gay. I'm wondering if it was correct for the rest of you, or is this some kind of judgment call they are making? Are they afraid of offending two straight buddies bunking together who might have accidentally selected the wrong bed setup? Like that happens...LOL

Don't take this as offensive or inconsiderate, as I don't mean any harm.

But next time you get twin set-up, you should both sleep in one twin and keep the other bed perfectly made up (or at least make it look that way). When the steward sees this, just tell him that "we left the other bed for him to join the both of you. And maybe it would be better if he slid them together for the 3 of you".

At least that would get his attention.

On every cruise I have taken - eight in total - my husband and I have NEVER had a King bed as requested. Even during our Honeymoon cruise!! LOL .. Glad to hear I'm not alone. Yes, it is always easily fixed, but it sounds like there are obvious assumptions being made.

This amazes me, 23 cruises and have always requested a King and have always had one.

Pat

On my last cruise with my son the beds were made up as a King, even though we requested 2 twins. I told the steward to change it and he said that we were a couple. He pulled out his list and it was showed that we were a couple. It wasn't written in it but was typed in under a column on his sheet. He finally said he would change it. I know I didn't wish to wish to to share a bed with my adult son and I'm pretty sure he didn't want to share one with his mother :eek:.

As some others have also stated, the steward argued with you. This just amazes me. I would not put up with that, one second! Couple or not, maybe a "couple" prefers twin beds? Who is he to question that one way or the other? My husband and I get a king only because the twins take up more room in a balcony. We don't even sleep in the same room at home, except for "visits".:D At my age I have had enough of the snoring and thrashing around that doesn't bother one as much in the beginning. These rude stewards are acting totally inappropriate and should be reported. IMHO :)

Hmm. There are 2 things here I find very odd. It seems that stewards do not pay attention to the actual passenger request, but instead look at a sheet and try to determine if the 2 cruisers are a "couple". I hope that's not the majority.

And as has been said here, this can be a big deal. Not just for same sex couples who don't want to feel offended, but also for traveling partners, like mother and son who truly will not want to sleep together.

I'm annoyed by the fact that our king bed request has never been correctly honored on 4 cruises together. Of course, when I chase down the room steward he fixes it. Although twice we got the 'Are you sure?' type of response which was stupid. Yes we are gay. I'm wondering if it was correct for the rest of you, or is this some kind of judgment call they are making? Are they afraid of offending two straight buddies bunking together who might have accidentally selected the wrong bed setup? Like that happens...LOL

From what I've seen, the bed's are usually left in whatever configuration they were in on the cruise before your's. We like twin's and ours are generally pushed together. We just ask (as you did) and everything is right by bedtime. Have a great cruise!

Edited by Plant

I can see why you'd feel upset by the "are you sure?" question. Obviously you were seeing as how you flagged them down to ask! If I were in your shoes, knowing myself, I'd probably interpret that to be judgemental as well. I truly hope that wasn't the intention.

As far as the original configuration though, I truly don't believe anything was meant by it. I say this because I (a female) have been on 3 cruises with a close female friend. All 3 times at booking we selected the twin bed configuration. Upon arrival, we had twins 1 out of 3 times. We left them together the other 2 times because we really didn't care that much, and because spacially we liked the set up of the room with the king. I went on one cruise with an ex-boyfriend & we, of course, requested a king. Got twins. That time I requested they were put together & it was done before we finished lunch on lido.

Based on those experiences, I really agree with previous posters that they just leave it in the configuration of the previous cruise. Although now I'm wondering what our room stewards were thinking on the 2 cruises we left the beds as a king! :cool:

On our last cruise, the bed was set up as King (per my request), but I had forgotten that our son was with us in the fold-down bunk. So I found the steward and asked him to split the King into Twins (allowing room to move about the cabin) while we were at dinner.

When we got back to the room that night, the beds were split into Twins, but he left them in the middle of the room and didn't put one under the bunk and the other under the OV window. That was worse than what we had to begin with.

So I had to move one bed to under the bunk. Didn't realize they left a trundle under the bed, which I found with my shin (ouch). But it was no big deal and we had a great cruise.

The same name does throw them off. Had it happen and the steward explained.

After several cruises in various (marital) situations, I've decided on my theory: that what you indicate as a preference is not viewed by the Room Steward. I firmly believe that they are so busy when trying to turn the rooms over from one set of guests for the new arrivals that they leave the bed as it was. It's easier and faster for the steward.

Yes, they will change it when asked after departure. I tip the harried Steward to have it done. I imagine in some cases, people just accept it/learn to live with it.

There is decidedly a more spacious feel with twin bedss against the wall than a "king" in the middle of the room.

We chatted with our room steward about this and he said they don't get a list but just leaves the beds inn the formation they were in fior the previous sailing. Then they fix them if people want something different

Just some corrections. First, many people do not even realize about the selection of bed can be prearranged. Most guys in particular would not even notice until they entered the room and request a change.

Most guys traveling together and when I say most, I mean the super majority or around 95% would not want the beds together, so it would be logical that they would set the room up that way. Although I would not be offended if I saw my bed made up incorrectly, I would just ask, just like you should be aware that your choices are in the minority, so asking for a change should not be a pet peeve.

We have been on over 10 cruises - all of which we have had a balcony and our kids in an inside across the hall. 100% of the time the rooms have been correct - king for me an DH and twins for boys. But from reading all the responses, we appear to have been quite lucky.

And as for the rude comment of "are you sure?" please try to recognize that other cultures, particularly the ones from which the majority of room stewards hail, do not "understand" or "recognize" homosexuality...plus, there can be language barriers at times. Just try to let it roll of your back and you and your partner enjoy your vacations!

Yes, this is true that other cultures do not "understand" or "recognize" homosexuality. However, Carnival should make it part of staff training to at least be mindful that Carnival passengers do understand, recognize, and embrace it. Crew need to be trained that comments like "are you sure?" can be hurtful and offensive. That is what would offend me if I (a male) sailed with my boyfriend/partner: not that the steward saw that there were two Misters in the room and made twins because he assumed we were just friends but that we were questioned about it after asking him/her nicely to make the bed into a king.

I travel with my mom and we also run about 50% in having the beds as twins when we arrive. When we see it's a king we just find the room steward and ask for it to be changed.

I also have heard that they just leave the last configuration on turnaround day because it's easier to change the few that may require it later in the day. That's not a big deal to us.

Yes, this is true that other cultures do not "understand" or "recognize" homosexuality. However, Carnival should make it part of staff training to at least be mindful that Carnival passengers do understand, recognize, and embrace it. Crew need to be trained that comments like "are you sure?" can be hurtful and offensive. That is what would offend me if I (a male) sailed with my boyfriend/partner: not that the steward saw that there were two Misters in the room and made twins because he assumed we were just friends but that we were questioned about it after asking him/her nicely to make the bed into a king.

One area that I saw great sensitivity was by the staff photographers - perhaps they can share their training with cabin crews?

Just some corrections. First, many people do not even realize about the selection of bed can be prearranged. Most guys in particular would not even notice until they entered the room and request a change.

Most guys traveling together and when I say most, I mean the super majority or around 95% would not want the beds together, so it would be logical that they would set the room up that way. Although I would not be offended if I saw my bed made up incorrectly, I would just ask, just like you should be aware that your choices are in the minority, so asking for a change should not be a pet peeve.

Just a correction for you, I might be a minority but I don't choose to be gay any more than you choose to be straight. I'm feeling the truth lies somewhere between how the room was set-up last, with a slight judgement call by the steward to not change the twin setup until that request is repeated.

36 cruises, request has always been correct. You know what will happen now!

I think it's the fact that they are letting cruisers get on the ship faster and faster. They only have so much time to get these rooms ready. Things are going to get overlooked.

I don't think it is over looked. I think the one thing that can be put off until later is changing the beds around.

Plus as you can see even in this thread, some people just accept the way the beds are and never request a change.

Say you have thirty rooms to get ready for the new pax. You cannot get around the cleaning, you have a short time to get things done. You can put the beds arrangement off until the new pax are on. A lot of the rooms are going to be like people want just by chance, there are going to be a few that will just accept how things are, so you now have a few that needs to be changed. And they can be changed in the afternoon, evening when you have more time to get it done.

Like I said, only a big deal if you want to make it one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Happens to us almost every time. Last time it was honored but I think our room did not have the option of two twins because it was L shaped and that particular cabin just didn't have the room to separate them. So in that case, it has happened every time. We are also gay so they assume we want separate even though we request the King.