Allure runs on windows XP

setsail

:D:D

The manufacturer of one major automation system used in ship's engine rooms, still have systems out there running DOS. They have systems based on Windows 10, but the service engineers will tell you that the old DOS systems have zero service calls over decades, while the Win10 systems are always needing service. The shipboard systems do not need all the bells and whistles that home computer users want, so there is little incentive to upgrade until there is no longer any support.

A lot of prisons use DOS PCs to control cell doors and entry doors, they don't have an automatic connection to the internet or other networked devices.

The thing that does scare me with Royal running XP is on many of the PCs on the ship for public use they just keep re-imaging them with images that are 5 or more years old, and as a result the virus definitions on their AV programs are outdated

Edited by BillOh

The thing that does scare me with Royal running XP is on many of the PCs on the ship for public use they just keep re-imaging them with images that are 5 or more years old, and as a result the virus definitions on their AV programs are outdated

Of course all of this is based on one little verbal comment in the video at around 6:15. No picture, no mention of where this fact came from.

Anyway, as to the quote... As you said, they re-image the internet terminals. So anything that happened to the PC while it was being used gets wiped out. There are also technologies which don't allow anything to be changed on the computer (including a virus). They would also firewall the public network from anything else on the ship.

Really the bigger threat is using your own computer on the public internet which may or may not isolate you from everyone else using their computer and its associated viruses.

So none of the above is really an issue, assuming Royal's IT department has done their security properly... and given their IT department reputation... :eek:

Edited by TBone2K

So none of the above is really an issue, assuming Royal's IT department has done their security properly... and given their reputation... :eek:

Going out on a limb here and stating that RCI's Marine Side IT Department probably has zero affiliation with the development of or the Contractor that does their website.

A lot of prisons use DOS PCs to control cell doors and entry doors, they don't have an automatic connection to the internet or other networked devices.

Well, the internet computers are not linked in any way to the shipboard systems, so there is no threat there, but you opening your e-mail accounts in the internet café are another thing, but I'm not sure whether the comment in the you-tube was about this, or the ship's systems.

The demise of Windows XP has been greatly exaggerated. I'm not sure what the percentages are now but when support stopped for XP, the majority of retail POS machines were still on the XP platform. In order to alleviate retailer fears, Microsoft continued support for POS machines. You can still get Windows updates with a simple registry hack that disguises your PC as a POS. I believe they also provide subscription support for large organizations.

The Best Ever - Love XP. No marine, no nothing. My "old" laptop is XP - love love love that s/w. The most stable and error free (at least for me). One of the best. Windows is no longer supporting XP. Means they won't send bug fixes and Explorer won't update (at least not for me -- but my laptop is also old and that didn't help).

I still use my old laptop as I can't get my hands/head around the new one running 8.1.

XP -- the best!

Most of the systems like this and POS systems, etc are all running Windows XP Embedded. There is a huge difference as XP Embedded comes with tools that allow it to be locked down as tight as you want. I can guarantee you that I can lock down an XPE system so tight you can't get a virus into it and you won't even be able to recognize it's Windows running.