Rita's Cantina on Brilliance

KelJ

I've never sailed on a ship that had a Rita's Cantina. Though I've read some bad reviews, I'm interested in knowing what it's all about.

I've read that on bigger ships you can book a "fiesta" for a fee. Does Brilliance offer the fiesta? Also, is there a cover fee if you are not doing a fiesta? What types of food choices are there (full meals or just appetizers), and do you pay a la carte? Do I assume correctly that you can use your drink package in Rita's?

Thanks for any answers you can provide regarding the Rita's on Brilliance!

Don't get Rita's confused with Sabor. IIRC on Brilliance, Rita's is through the Windjammer on the port side. As Bob said, they sell appetizers, like nachos and such.

I didn't try, but if you search the forum, you might find someone has posted a menu.

We didn't eat there but went for drink specials twice during our 5 night cruise. Pretty sure they had margaritas at buy one, get one half off (or maybe it was buy one, get one free?) It was only during certain hours at night. But the frozen margaritas were delicious. :D

We love Izumi on Brilliance! Never have tried Rita's, but it never seemed to be busy.
Thanks, that's good to hear. We enjoyed Izumi on Allure and Navigator so looking forward to trying it on Brilliance.

Might try Rita's for some snacks... guac and margarita's. I didn't care much for dinner there on Oasis.

I found this:

Rita’s Cantina (Mexican)

Select Dining Venue ($3 dining fee plus à la carte pricing Cover Charge)

Dinner

Replacing the portside outdoor eating area of Windjammers in May 2013, aft of deck 11, Rita’s Cantina is an 84 seat Mexican Restaurant offering casual dining with a great selection of Mexican meals, snacks and cocktails. A cover charge of $3 per person plus à la carte pricing applies and a sample menu can be viewed below:

SOUPS

Roasted Chicken and Tomato Broth ($2.00)

Iced Mint Watermelon and Tomato Bisque ($1.50)

Black Bean Soup ($1.75)

KIDS

Cheese Quesadilla ($1.75)

Nachos with Cheese Sauce ($1.50)

Chicken Tacos ($1.75)

SMALLER PLATES

Starter Taco Salad ($2.75)

Fiesta Guacamole ($2.75)

Party Nachos ($2.50)

Shrimp Ceviche Tostada ($3.00)

Grilled Quesadilla ($3.25)

LARGER PLATES

Classic Taco Salad ($3.25)

Ancho Chile Relleno ($3.00)

Grilled Chicken “Chichen-Itza” ($5.25)

Pork Roast and Jalapeno Cheese Chimichanga ($5.50)

Grilled Salmon, Squash and Jalapeno Cheese Burritos ($5.00)

Seared Red Snapper ($5.50)

Chile Con Carne ($5.00)

SIDES

Mexican Rice, Refried Beans, Sour Cream, Guacamole, Chilli Con Carne, Cheese Sauce, Peppers

DESSERTS

Cinnamon Sugar Rolled Churros ($1.75)

Banana Enchiladas ($2.25)

Mexican Flan ($1.50)

Just ate at Ritas on Brilliance in October. Much smaller menu than what was posted . Basically apps nachos, quesadillas, guac etc decent sizes -placed ala carte .Extremely reasonable and drink package covered margeritata..was a good snack option on our 13 nite trip .

Thanks, that's good to hear. We enjoyed Izumi on Allure and Navigator so looking forward to trying it on Brilliance.

Might try Rita's for some snacks... guac and margarita's. I didn't care much for dinner there on Oasis.

We also did the sushi making class on one of the sea days. Had a great time, learned a lot, and got to eat our homework for lunch! :D

Just ate at Ritas on Brilliance in October. Much smaller menu than what was posted . Basically apps nachos, quesadillas, guac etc decent sizes -placed ala carte .Extremely reasonable and drink package covered margeritata..was a good snack option on our 13 nite trip .

Do they charge the $3/person cover charge?

There's no cover charge, a la carte.

We also recently ate at Rita's on Brilliance in October. It is portside and partially outside. So for us, with the New England cruise being cooler weather it was a pretty dead place for our cruise.

I agree it's a shorter menu with mainly apps. We ordered guac/chips. Any yes the prices seem reasonable, but I think we had a negative reaction overall knowing guac/chips used to be available on our past cruises in the windjammer, and watching our bartender walk into the wind jammer to go get guac/chips from the kitchen felt like we were being nickel/dimed.

My wife had the margarita and said it was good, we only had a percentage off (10%?) during happy hour and this was published in the compass.

We talked to the bartender and realized he was on Mariner years earlier when we were on it too, and had a good conversation. We tried to make it back to Ritas later in the week, but he wasn't working and ended up only stopping by once during our cruise.

Are you confusing Sabor with Rita's? Oasis has never had a Rita's...

Brilliance does have Rita's at least it's on the deck plan [port side behind Windjammer as stated above]. Have not been on Brilliance but just got off Serenade last month. Tried Rita's -- it was OK -- not bad not great. Obviously not memorable because I cannot for the life of me remember what we had. Pretty sure we had chips and guac -- chips pretty good, guac pretty average -- remember thinking it was not as good as what DW and I make at home -- but nothing really is.

I like good Mexican food [lived in San Antonio in my wayward youth so I think I have a fair idea what's good and what isn't]. Menu was limited - snack type stuff. As I said -- not bad not great. We were nearing Ft Lauderdale at the time we tried it and it was very warm [iIRC we were there about 8-9 p.m.] -- as if there is no AC in that area [same area as on Brilliance comparing deck plans]. Service was glacially slow -- but that seemed to me to be a defining characteristic of Serenade -- Brilliance may be better. During the entire time we were in Rita's, we were the only passengers. Several crew came in -- got the impression they liked as a way to get away for a few minutes. If you want to try it, do it soon, based on what we saw with regard to patronage, can't imagine it will last. Try it -- if you don't like it the Jammer is only a few steps away. Don't forget it is extra charge on an ala carte basis.

Edited by mjldvlks