Falmouth

Cruisin 4 Ever

They have built yet another tired port area at Falmouth filled with US-based restaurants and the same shops you see everywhere in the Caribbean. May as well stay in Miami (which is far less safe than Jamaica). Its sterile and boring to the extreme.

No beaches within walking distance but several are just a short cab ride away. There are signs that can direct you to the cab stands.

Jamaica has some amazing sights to take in but you would need to book something either through the ship or an independent tour company to get to them. Both times we have docked at Falmouth we booked an independent tour to Irie Blue Hole (beyond amazing! more beautiful than Dunne River Falls and far less crowded)and lunch at Scotchies (terrific jerk chicken and jerk pork).

This cruise port is totally encased in a high, chain linked fence. Guards are at the exits. Some people will tell you to leave the fence and it is not dangerous, but most will say it is sketchy. We attempted to leave once....never again. The second time we were there, we booked an excursion via the ship. The shuttles are inside the fence, so you don't have to worry.

Sorry....no beach in walking distance.

In port, many stands, activities...shops...etc.

We now stay on the ship when in Jamaica.

Has anyone ever taken the trolley tour ? We were thinking of doing that and then do some shopping and hang out at Margaretville... There is a swimming pool there right ? And chairs and chaise lounges or no ?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide

Has anyone ever taken the trolley tour ? We were thinking of doing that and then do some shopping and hang out at Margaretville... There is a swimming pool there right ? And chairs and chaise lounges or no ?

I do not know anything about the trolley tour, but we took a shuttle to Dr. Caves. This is where Margarittaville and the nice beach and pool is. Lots of activities for kids too. Yes, chairs and loungers available.

Just know that it is a 45 minute ride.....so time yourselves appropriately. :)

Have only been there once but if we ever go again I will STAY ON THE SHIP! Like others said, it is an enclosed, fenced area with typical shopping like DI, etc. We did, regretfully, venture outside the gates. Very, very pushy, sketchy place. I would recommend definitely booking excursions if you want to get outside of the gates. We had one couple who's baby was in a stroller and someone tried to take off with it.

We went when it had just opened (portions of the Welcome Center were still under construction). As others have said, the Welcome Center is just another cookie cutter facility designed to appease dumb tourists who think that the Caribbean looks like a Margaritaville.

We didn't book any tours because we were traveling with a 17 month old baby at the time. We were pretty limited with activities and decided to play things by ear (not the best choice). We did go outside the fence and wandered around the streets closest to the port. It's a run down and not very attractive area. Lots of vending stalls. Contrary to what others reported, we didn't find vendors to be overly pushy. Also, there was A LOT of police presence. Literally multiple cops in every corner and walking up and down the streets. From what I remember, when Falmouth first opened it was plagued with crime against cruise passengers, to the point that the Jamaican Government had to intervene and guarantee Royal Caribbean (who built the facilities) that the issue would be addressed.

Falmouth was built not for people to hang out in the port area but as a hop off point for other tours and shore excursions in the region. To the OP, I highly recommend that you do some research and find some activities that take you away from the immediate vicinity of the Welcome Center, even if you have to spend some money. It may provide a much better experience than what many of us have reported.

Edited by Tapi

My wife and I (32) felt safe walking around and visiting the church. There was a very friendly family with young children selling local fruits and vegetables right by the entrance. We're very much looking forward to going back one day.

I have been to Jamaica many times but never to Falmouth. I have never had anything bad happen to me in Jamaica, but there are so many sketchy areas and sketchy people that I now remain on the ship when it's in Jamaica. I was even on a Carnival tour once that took us to an area that didn't feel safe to me, and left us there for 30 minutes. I know some people report amazing experiences in Jamaica, but it's just not for me.

I do not know anything about the trolley tour, but we took a shuttle to Dr. Caves. This is where Margarittaville and the nice beach and pool is. Lots of activities for kids too. Yes, chairs and loungers available.

Just know that it is a 45 minute ride.....so time yourselves appropriately. :)

Yes there is a Margarittaville INSIDE the enclosed area at Falmouth.

Yes there is a Margarittaville INSIDE the enclosed area at Falmouth.

OMG... I thought I had read that... thanks so much for clearing that up for me... I have my parents (80 years young) cruising with me so I am not going to be doing much walking...

Trolley might not be worth it but for them, it will be !!! Thanks for the responses so quickly... Much appreciated...

I am stopping there on my upcoming cruise. Is there a beach within walking distance? Or anything else we can do without booking an actual excursion? Is there a cruise centre like Turks and Caicos/Amber Cove?

I just got off the Allure...not much to do in Falmouth...they take you to Ocho Rios or Montero Bay which is 1 hr 20 minutes away. We did Reggae Hill through RCCL. I don't recommend it. Its too far if you were trying to do something on your own.

Have only been there once but if we ever go again I will STAY ON THE SHIP! Like others said, it is an enclosed, fenced area with typical shopping like DI, etc. We did, regretfully, venture outside the gates. Very, very pushy, sketchy place. I would recommend definitely booking excursions if you want to get outside of the gates. We had one couple who's baby was in a stroller and someone tried to take off with it.

I agree with you. However, walking around Montego bay was very sketchy. I assume that is why a compound was built and the port changed to Falmouth. We had gone to a hotel for a day in Montegy bay once and on the beach we were approached by people selling drugs- not very comfortable at all. We will walk around the compound then enjoy the ship in Jamaica.

They have built yet another tired port area at Falmouth filled with US-based restaurants and the same shops you see everywhere in the Caribbean. May as well stay in Miami (which is far less safe than Jamaica). Its sterile and boring to the extreme.

No beaches within walking distance but several are just a short cab ride away. There are signs that can direct you to the cab stands.

Jamaica has some amazing sights to take in but you would need to book something either through the ship or an independent tour company to get to them. Both times we have docked at Falmouth we booked an independent tour to Irie Blue Hole (beyond amazing! more beautiful than Dunne River Falls and far less crowded)and lunch at Scotchies (terrific jerk chicken and jerk pork).

@Cruzeluver, did you book the Blue Hole and Scotchies trip through a tour vendor, and if, so who did you go with?

I am thinking about doing this on my cruise in a couple months, and may even propose at the Blue Hole. I actually just made a post on this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=48484463#post48484463

Thanks!

I just got off the Allure...not much to do in Falmouth...they take you to Ocho Rios or Montero Bay which is 1 hr 20 minutes away. We did Reggae Hill through RCCL. I don't recommend it. Its too far if you were trying to do something on your own.

Aside from Dunn's River Falls there is a wonderful excursion

Martha Brae river-rafting. Very relaxing and beautiful. Also it is close to port.

Martha-Brae-River-Rafting.jpeg

Edited by Tatka

• 3 weeks later...
OMG... I thought I had read that... thanks so much for clearing that up for me... I have my parents (80 years young) cruising with me so I am not going to be doing much walking...

Trolley might not be worth it but for them, it will be !!! Thanks for the responses so quickly... Much appreciated...

Enjoyed a great day at Margaritaville on Dec 4. Spent a good amount of time in their pool, which had a swim up bar. We had some drinks, a delicious lunch and great service. We thought the prices were reasonable. I would definitely go back to Margaritaville the next time we're in Falmouth.

If your parents want a lounge chair by the pool with shade, I would advise going early as there is only a small section by the pool that has shade. The rest of the pool area is all sun. Enjoy your day there!